Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 179

Thread: Ap survey: Us income gap is holding back economy

  1. #141
    Professor
    Tettsuo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 02:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Ap survey: Us income gap is holding back economy

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    With government influence we have crony capitalism....
    Why are you going to extremes? Without the government there is no capitalism. Sure, they'll be trade, but what we call capitalism cannot exist without some body regulating the system.

    We don't have anything that resembles true free market ideas...
    Please give us example of the successes of true free markets. I don't believe that is a workable system based on human history.

    Our economy sucks because half of our economy is basically backdoor socialism (printing money to redistribute) and the other half is free market that our government still plays a strong role in through regulation and taxation..
    I agree. The socialism that's the biggest problem is the payout to the military industrial complex, the massively bloated prison system and massive tax breaks to those at the top.

    It's only this way because progressives cant grasp the concept of supply and demand, that or they will believe because a commune can survive under a socialist model or even a small country that a nation of 300 million can when both Russia/USSR and China proved otherwise... Also, we have to remember that the United States "capitalism" at least before progressives really pushed their mixed economy idea - funded many small socialist nations due to our purchasing/buying power as consumers and investors.
    You do understand that both supply and demand become progressively suppressed as the growing income inequality increases, right?
    A man without fear is a fool, a man that succumbs to his fear is a coward and a brave man acknowledges fear yet presses on.
    http://soulinblackandwhite.blogspot.com/

  2. #142
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Ap survey: Us income gap is holding back economy

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    Why are you going to extremes? Without the government there is no capitalism. Sure, they'll be trade, but what we call capitalism cannot exist without some body regulating the system.


    Please give us example of the successes of true free markets. I don't believe that is a workable system based on human history.


    I agree. The socialism that's the biggest problem is the payout to the military industrial complex, the massively bloated prison system and massive tax breaks to those at the top.


    You do understand that both supply and demand become progressively suppressed as the growing income inequality increases, right?
    You see the bolded?

    The fundamental problem with progressives is that they believe nothing can exist without government intervention.

    Yes capitalism exists without government dictation - government IS an economic model dictated by government - an economic model that has absolutely no ties to resources...

    Socialism is nothing more than monopoly money and when the resources get thin they start kicking people out of the country (culls) or let them starve...

    Capitalism is called "free market" for a reason - because capitalism doesn't need government dictation to work - government dictation, regulation and taxation only hinder (or stunt/hold back) capitalism...

  3. #143
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,419
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Ap survey: Us income gap is holding back economy

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    The income gap has nothing to do with "trickle down" theory. It has everything to do with the government subsidizing unproductive behavior.

    When you take a low income individual and subsidize their lifestyle it first makes becoming more productive more difficult for the individual and then makes being unproductive more tolerable.

    Someone with two kids under the age of 16 and a part time job paying $20k/yr will, with subsidies, end up with the same "walking around" money as someone else in the same situation unsubsidized making $45k. That means that the person receiving these benefits has to make a 200+% income jump to be able to afford the same lifestyle. The result is that LOTS of people just decide to live with the subsidies and make a few bucks on the side to fill in any gaps they might run into.
    Respectfully, while your argument has merit, there simple isn't a surplus of good jobs for people who ARE motivated.

    If everybody crammed a marketable education starting tomorrow, there would be a surplus of qualified applicants. Assuming everybody is equipped genetically and dispositionally for the jobs you rightly advise folks to strive for, which they all obviously are not.

    I think we all get a little bit of tunnel vision.

    But the phenomena being discussed IS happening. It's what if anything to do about it that is at issue in "scholarly" discussions.

    It is a complex, multivariable problem, but it is a problem in a consumer economy.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  4. #144
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,640

    Re: Ap survey: Us income gap is holding back economy

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    Respectfully, while your argument has merit, there simple isn't a surplus of good jobs for people who ARE motivated.

    If everybody crammed a marketable education starting tomorrow, there would be a surplus of qualified applicants. Assuming everybody is equipped genetically and dispositionally for the jobs you rightly advise folks to strive for, which they all obviously are not.

    I think we all get a little bit of tunnel vision.

    But the phenomena being discussed IS happening. It's what if anything to do about it that is at issue in "scholarly" discussions.

    It is a complex, multivariable problem, but it is a problem in a consumer economy.
    That, in part, is a symptom of the subsidy mentality. A lot of people are simply more comfortable with other people doing the planning and structuring for them instead of taking a more entrepreneurial view of things and figuring out where they can carve out their own niche in the labor market.

  5. #145
    Professor
    Tettsuo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 02:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Ap survey: Us income gap is holding back economy

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    You see the bolded?

    The fundamental problem with progressives is that they believe nothing can exist without government intervention.
    No, not nothing. Capitalism. Without someone to referee capitalism, it is ultimately self-destructive. I ask that you only look up the history of monopolies to see that without the government, as neutral body (supposedly), capitalism with collapse under it own greed.

    So, I ask you again, can you produce any evidence of true free market capitalism's success? I can't think of one.

    Yes capitalism exists without government dictation - government IS an economic model dictated by government - an economic model that has absolutely no ties to resources...

    Socialism is nothing more than monopoly money and when the resources get thin they start kicking people out of the country (culls) or let them starve...

    Capitalism is called "free market" for a reason - because capitalism doesn't need government dictation to work - government dictation, regulation and taxation only hinder (or stunt/hold back) capitalism...
    Prove your theory. Is there any recorded evidence of the free market succeeding without government intervention and participation?
    A man without fear is a fool, a man that succumbs to his fear is a coward and a brave man acknowledges fear yet presses on.
    http://soulinblackandwhite.blogspot.com/

  6. #146
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,654

    Re: Ap survey: Us income gap is holding back economy

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    That, in part, is a symptom of the subsidy mentality. A lot of people are simply more comfortable with other people doing the planning and structuring for them instead of taking a more entrepreneurial view of things and figuring out where they can carve out their own niche in the labor market.
    The social safety net was converted to a hammock decades ago.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  7. #147
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Ap survey: Us income gap is holding back economy

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Okay. How in the world does minimum wage serve as a stand in for the vast majority of wages?

    Because both the CBO and the Census Bureau says that wages increased. And your only counterpoint thus far is that in real terms minimum wage is not currently at its' peak. So you better have one helluva tie over that the CBO and Census Bureau both missed.
    The American minimum wage has not increased...


  8. #148
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Ap survey: Us income gap is holding back economy

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Our government is holding back economy...
    If you havent noticed we have kept up the pace of trickle down economics..


    The reason why capitalism isn't working is because we have blatant socialists running our government and they're doing their absolute best to destroy "capitalism" and that creates crony capitalism.
    So these imaginary socialists in your head are creating a different kind of capitalism? Why wouldnt these imaginary socialists want to create socialism?


    The best part is that these progressives you, other socialists and progressives in general adore are some of the most rich - elitist - assclowns on the planet... They spend everyone elses money just because they're so mentally defected they need to feel needed and could care less if they destroy the economy in the process just as long as they can continue to be aristocrats.
    You calling me "mentally defected" is funny because you think there are socialists running the gov....


  9. #149
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Ap survey: Us income gap is holding back economy

    Quote Originally Posted by CalGun View Post
    So you are saying the University of Santa Cruz is lying or were the numbers off by 10? Fact is we had a population of around 110 million in 1920 and have a population around 310 million or so in 2010. The wealth distribution charge is almost the same with the top 1% having about 36% of the wealth in both times. Except that top 1% is nearly 2 million more families today - then in 1920.
    Thats just blantly not true : How Unequal We Are: The Top 5 Facts You Should Know About The Wealthiest One Percent Of Americans | ThinkProgress


  10. #150
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Ap survey: Us income gap is holding back economy

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    If you havent noticed we have kept up the pace of trickle down economics..



    So these imaginary socialists in your head are creating a different kind of capitalism? Why wouldnt these imaginary socialists want to create socialism?



    You calling me "mentally defected" is funny because you think there are socialists running the gov....
    "imaginary socialists"

    What makes you believe socialism or socialists don't exist?

    I love how you and your ilk act so irrelevant but are so dominate....

    You act like you're invisible but you're everywhere...

    Explaining economics to you would be a waste of time - you have no interest in that, your only interest is in activism and radicalism.

    Prairie Fire is your Bible and activism is your hobby...

    The simple fact you cant admit that proves who you are (or progressives are), despite the fact you advertise it...

    Your ****ing name is demsocialist afterall. Did you forget that?

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •