Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 367

Thread: Polygamy Advocate Groups Hail Judge Ruling in Utah

  1. #311
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,858

    Re: Polygamy Advocate Groups Hail Judge Ruling in Utah

    QUOTE=Lursa;1062678833]Hello Vesper.

    Dont get me wrong. I am appalled by that family on TV that has 19 kids and keeps having more. I have personal objections to that on a few levels.

    However they completely support their family without public assistance and seem to instill a good work ethic and education in their children.

    So as an American, I cannot object to their right to reproduce that way. I agree, I "believe" that a major tenet of the Mormon religion is to be fruitful and multiply. However the compounds that they have do not seem deprived...well, socially and culturally perhaps...but not financially. Because as you said, it doest take alot of $$ to support them, but they seem to have organized and developed methods to do so communally.[/QUOTE]
    Evening Lursa,
    You and I seem to be in agreement on having objections to the "TV family". Allow me to list mine.
    1. They are not the norm in reflecting the lifestyle of polygamous relationships.
    2. Kody has a good paying job in advertisement. His legal wife works. And TLC is paying them quite well for the series. They can get by without government assistance. Most don't have a television series that pays real good to help provide for their needs. There is too much evidence out there that shows the "common" polygamist who doesn't have a television show relies on his "spiritual" wives that the government counts as single moms to collect welfare to bring home the bacon.
    3. It sickens me to think there are young ladies being raised in an atmosphere that teaches they are no more than a cow to be provided to the prize bull. It is demeaning, degrading and IMO child abuse. To teach their young boys such things is producing irrehensibly damaged mindsets. If I could I would bitch slap every last one who promotes such things.

    Finished with my rant....

  2. #312
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Polygamy Advocate Groups Hail Judge Ruling in Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    From the embarrassment of claiming that this decision was somehow linked to DOMA, even though you have absolutely no evidence to support your claim
    Apparently this guy, the subject of the case, thought so. However, that's not the point. The point of the OP was whether anyone else believed that DOMA carried any weight in this judge's decision. At no time did I ever claim that the judge DID weigh that in to his decision. My exact words were:
    This, I believe, is a reaction to that. This judge really has no precedent anymore to rule against polygamy. Nor does any other Federal judge really.
    Utah polygamist family featured on 'Sister Wives' celebrates DOMA ruling - Oklahoma City TV | Examiner.com



    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    We're talking about what you said in your OP. I understand why you don't want to see that done, but it is ridiculous for you to assert that discussing what you said in your OP is somehow off-topic
    No, what a very few decided to do is instead of debating the topic, they decided to debate whether DOMA was in the article or not. At no time did I claim that the article said anything about DOMA. The only thing I said about DOMA was that many users believed the repeal of it would affect future rulings on polygamy. So, out of the many that have posted on this thread, you have joined the very few who decided that instead of debating the topic they would debate whether the article said something I never claimed it did. Now, if you would like to debate the actual topic, which is whether you believe DOMA held any sway on this decision, be my guest. If not, my previous statement stands
    If you don't like the topic, move along man.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  3. #313
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Polygamy Advocate Groups Hail Judge Ruling in Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    What? Utah couldn't even become a state till it officially denounced polygamy. Plenty of precedent. Regardless, there are various arguments and real world examples to point to in order to discourage polygamy. But if it ever became an institute which could uphold the rights and liberties of all involved, then who really cares?
    What I meant by precedent was that I believe the DOMA ruling will make many judges believe that the precedent of "no gov't in marriage" has been set. Therefore, they will most likely rule that polygamy is legal in the future. I don't care either way, I'm just debating whether DOMA has any effect on future marriage rulings. I believe it does.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  4. #314
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,955

    Re: Polygamy Advocate Groups Hail Judge Ruling in Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Evening Lursa,
    You and I seem to be in agreement on having objections to the "TV family". Allow me to list mine.
    1. They are not the norm in reflecting the lifestyle of polygamous relationships.
    2. Kody has a good paying job in advertisement. His legal wife works. And TLC is paying them quite well for the series. They can get by without government assistance. Most don't have a television series that pays real good to help provide for their needs. There is too much evidence out there that shows the "common" polygamist who doesn't have a television show relies on his "spiritual" wives that the government counts as single moms to collect welfare to bring home the bacon.
    3. It sickens me to think there are young ladies being raised in an atmosphere that teaches they are no more than a cow to be provided to the prize bull. It is demeaning, degrading and IMO child abuse. To teach their young boys such things is producing irrehensibly damaged mindsets. If I could I would bitch slap every last one who promotes such things.

    Finished with my rant....
    1) Agreed, they are not even the norm for the idiot FLDS.

    2)What evidence do you have that the "common" polygamist is having thier other spouses (note that some of us don't usethe stereotype of the one man many wives) on welfare? What evidence do you have that the FLDS members are the "common" polygamist?

    3) Agreed, the FLDS members are abusive f**ks in how their treat their women and offspring, both the boys and the girls.

  5. #315
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    491

    Re: Polygamy Advocate Groups Hail Judge Ruling in Utah

    If (all sex is OK) then {
    who are you to judge
    } else {
    lol, obviously unreasonable humanity, and it's comical disregard for morality. Clearly, not all sex is OK.
    }

    exit();

  6. #316
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Polygamy Advocate Groups Hail Judge Ruling in Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Apparently this guy, the subject of the case, thought so. However, that's not the point. The point of the OP was whether anyone else believed that DOMA carried any weight in this judge's decision. At no time did I ever claim that the judge DID weigh that in to his decision. My exact words were:
    Utah polygamist family featured on 'Sister Wives' celebrates DOMA ruling - Oklahoma City TV | Examiner.com




    No, what a very few decided to do is instead of debating the topic, they decided to debate whether DOMA was in the article or not. At no time did I claim that the article said anything about DOMA. The only thing I said about DOMA was that many users believed the repeal of it would affect future rulings on polygamy. So, out of the many that have posted on this thread, you have joined the very few who decided that instead of debating the topic they would debate whether the article said something I never claimed it did. Now, if you would like to debate the actual topic, which is whether you believe DOMA held any sway on this decision, be my guest. If not, my previous statement stands
    No one said you said "the article mentioned DOMA" What was pointed out that it was *you* who mentioned DOMA and you expressed the opinion that DOMA had something to do with the decision.

    Now you're running away from it and tossing out straw men in a futile attempt to distract from what you said.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #317
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,955

    Re: Polygamy Advocate Groups Hail Judge Ruling in Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    No one said you said "the article mentioned DOMA" What was pointed out that it was *you* who mentioned DOMA and you expressed the opinion that DOMA had something to do with the decision.

    Now you're running away from it and tossing out straw men in a futile attempt to distract from what you said.
    Credit where credit is due. The only line in the OP that might suggest that he was talking about DOMA being the cause of the decision would be "This, I believe, is a reaction to that.". The word "this" is rather nebulous in that sentence as to what it is referring to. It could be referring to the case, or to the "...gay community ... winning victory after victory in the same sex marriage realm" statement.

    Do you have anything that directly shows that MarineTpartier directly believes that DOMA influenced the judge's decision in this case? Otherwise it seems to me that he is asking do the individual people here feel that it did or did not?

  8. #318
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,775

    Re: Polygamy Advocate Groups Hail Judge Ruling in Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    MA, according to its supreme court:



    CA, according to the landmark Perry case:



    IA, according to its supreme court:



    NJ, according to its supreme court:
    Those aren't laws those are court decisions.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #319
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,775

    Re: Polygamy Advocate Groups Hail Judge Ruling in Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by SingleCellOrganism View Post
    If (all sex is OK) then {
    who are you to judge
    } else {
    lol, obviously unreasonable humanity, and it's comical disregard for morality. Clearly, not all sex is OK.
    }

    exit();
    If (losing argument) then {
    straw man
    } else {
    more straw man
    }
    exit();
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  10. #320
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Polygamy Advocate Groups Hail Judge Ruling in Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    Credit where credit is due. The only line in the OP that might suggest that he was talking about DOMA being the cause of the decision would be "This, I believe, is a reaction to that.". The word "this" is rather nebulous in that sentence as to what it is referring to. It could be referring to the case, or to the "...gay community ... winning victory after victory in the same sex marriage realm" statement.
    That interpretation of "this" would make no sense. The gay community is a reaction to this judge's decision?

    Do you have anything that directly shows that MarineTpartier directly believes that DOMA influenced the judge's decision in this case? Otherwise it seems to me that he is asking do the individual people here feel that it did or did not?
    Yes

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    What I meant by precedent was that I believe the DOMA ruling will make many judges believe that the precedent of "no gov't in marriage" has been set. Therefore, they will most likely rule that polygamy is legal in the future. I don't care either way, I'm just debating whether DOMA has any effect on future marriage rulings. I believe it does.
    Which is nonsense because the DOMA decision, like various SSM decisions, explicitly state that the govt has a legitimate interest in marriage.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •