Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 367

Thread: Polygamy Advocate Groups Hail Judge Ruling in Utah

  1. #211
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Polygamy Advocate Groups Hail Judge Ruling in Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    So what ruling on SSM resulted in this ruling? In fact, what argument for SSM resulted in this ruling? In fact, what does this ruling have to do with marriage?
    I was simply eluding to the "slippery slope" that many believe SSM creates for cases such as this. The slippery slope being that once we start altering what we believe to be marriage with the repeal of DOMA, other forms of marriage would follow behind.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  2. #212
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Polygamy Advocate Groups Hail Judge Ruling in Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    I am confused. The article you posted didn't mention DOMA once. In fact, the judge's ruling cited the First Amendment, rather than the absence of DOMA. A First Amendment argument would've trumped even DOMA. So the people who "predicted this exact situation would happen as a result" are full of ****.
    Many on this website, in the past, have stated that repealing DOMA would begin a process towards legal polygamy. I was simply stirring the debate.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  3. #213
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,013

    Re: Polygamy Advocate Groups Hail Judge Ruling in Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    I was simply eluding to the "slippery slope" that many believe SSM creates for cases such as this. The slippery slope being that once we start altering what we believe to be marriage with the repeal of DOMA, other forms of marriage would follow behind.
    Which actually brings you right back to Redress's question, which is, how do you know that the ruling happened as a result of SSM? How do you know that the ruling wouldn't have happened anyway?

  4. #214
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Polygamy Advocate Groups Hail Judge Ruling in Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Which actually brings you right back to Redress's question, which is, how do you know that the ruling happened as a result of SSM? How do you know that the ruling wouldn't have happened anyway?
    Dude, did you read my previous post? Where did I say that I believed that? I said OTHERS did. I have seen multiple users on this site state that the repeal of DOMA would lead down this road. I was simply stirring the debate.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  5. #215
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Polygamy Advocate Groups Hail Judge Ruling in Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Take your failure government and shove it.... Go love you some Nancy Pelosi bucks while you pretend you hate it but argue for it.

    Go vote for progressive ideas while you trade your liberty for security...
    Hey, this is great, I don't even have to talk to you anymore because you're going to invent my side of the conversation out of whole cloth.

    Keep up the good work!
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  6. #216
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Polygamy Advocate Groups Hail Judge Ruling in Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Gotta read past the headline dude. The ruling was about cohabitation laws, not marriage.
    Got it. Just stirring debate.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  7. #217
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Polygamy Advocate Groups Hail Judge Ruling in Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Many on this website, in the past, have stated that repealing DOMA would begin a process towards legal polygamy. I was simply stirring the debate.
    Why would you stir the debate over DOMA with an article that didn't even mention DOMA about a court decision that also had nothing to do with DOMA?
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  8. #218
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,124

    Re: Polygamy Advocate Groups Hail Judge Ruling in Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    What were you expecting, a status quo?
    And that makes even less sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  9. #219
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,124

    Re: Polygamy Advocate Groups Hail Judge Ruling in Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Before they get done redefining marriage, it will be legal between a brother and a sister, father and daughter, a mother and son, gay men/women, straight men/women will be allowed multiple spouses and the consent laws will get lowered. And who knows maybe a man who loves his sheep or the woman who loves her cat. You keep hearing more and more people willing their money to their animals.
    If you say so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  10. #220
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Polygamy Advocate Groups Hail Judge Ruling in Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Why would you stir the debate over DOMA with an article that didn't even mention DOMA about a court decision that also had nothing to do with DOMA?
    I DIDN'T STIR DEBATE OVER DOMA, AS EVIDENCED BY THE POSTS IN THIS THREAD. I STIRRED DEBATE OVER POLYGAMY AND THE ASSUMPTION SOME USERS MADE ON THIS WEBSITE THAT THE REPEAL OF DOMA WOULD LEAD TO LEGAL POLYGAMY.

    That's the point man. Some believe DOMA and polygamy have nothing to do with each other. However, many on this website believe that they do. My intention was to stir debate over that topic, which I succeeded in doing. At no point did I state MY opinion in the OP. This website doesn't require that you pick a side man. You should know that, you've been here longer than I have.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •