Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
Results 131 to 138 of 138

Thread: China lands Jade Rabbit robot rover on Moon

  1. #131
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: China lands Jade Rabbit robot rover on Moon

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Oh, a project like that would take a long time, no doubt. I'd probably never live to see it accomplished, but I'd live to see the practical applications of the technology.


    Myself.....I figure once I make it up to the heavens. They will tell me I didn't learn my lesson and didn't get on the path. That I will be returning......again.

    I just hope I don't get sent back as Ferengi or Klingon this next time round.

  2. #132
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: China lands Jade Rabbit robot rover on Moon

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Elevator? How about a stairway to heaven!
    Stairway to Heaven is a song. A space elevator is one of those creations of science fiction that could one day become science fact.

    Space elevators:

    Does this sound like the Sci-Fi Channel or a chapter out of Arthur C. Clarke's, Fountains of Paradise? Well, it's not. It is a real possibility -- a "space elevator" -- that researchers are considering today as a far-out space transportation system for the next century.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  3. #133
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: China lands Jade Rabbit robot rover on Moon

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Myself.....I figure once I make it up to the heavens. They will tell me I didn't learn my lesson and didn't get on the path. That I will be returning......again.

    I just hope I don't get sent back as Ferengi or Klingon this next time round.
    If they send me back, I want to come as a pampered house cat.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  4. #134
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: China lands Jade Rabbit robot rover on Moon

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    If they land people there and drive around in a moon buggy, they'll only be a little over 40 years behind the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Laugh all you like. Not just any asshole can land something on the moon, forty years behind or not.
    I know its easy to think of progress as some kind of linear line where you must achieve one thing before you achieve the next, China is not "40 years behind" because they have not yet landed men on the moon. Do you think the rocket had the same technology that launched the Saturn V forty years ago? Its more than about the ability to do so its about the will and desire to do it as well.

    Seriously do you think that Canada is still living in the 1940s because they never detonated a nuclear weapon? I mean **** we did over 70 years ago, therefore their technology must have not advanced beyond that point yet.

  5. #135
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: China lands Jade Rabbit robot rover on Moon

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    I know its easy to think of progress as some kind of linear line where you must achieve one thing before you achieve the next, China is not "40 years behind" because they have not yet landed men on the moon. Do you think the rocket had the same technology that launched the Saturn V forty years ago? Its more than about the ability to do so its about the will and desire to do it as well.

    Seriously do you think that Canada is still living in the 1940s because they never detonated a nuclear weapon? I mean **** we did over 70 years ago, therefore their technology must have not advanced beyond that point yet.
    I was being tongue in cheek about the forty year number, and their "will and desire to do it" was actually my point, which I specified when I said that China possesses more of what we decidedly lack with regards to space exploration: momentum.

  6. #136
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: China lands Jade Rabbit robot rover on Moon

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    If they send me back, I want to come as a pampered house cat.

    I don't think you can Regress.....besides wouldn't you want to be a pampered lil dog. Then you always get to sit in Momma's lap, put your snout between women's legs, and of course be carried with her wherever she may go.



    Food still gets put into the bowl my brutha.

  7. #137
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: China lands Jade Rabbit robot rover on Moon

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Stairway to Heaven is a song. A space elevator is one of those creations of science fiction that could one day become science fact.

    Space elevators:
    Sorry Ditto, I was just having fun with you, didn't mean to diminish your point.

  8. #138
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,305

    Re: China lands Jade Rabbit robot rover on Moon

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    The US needs to get serious about space exploration. How about the space elevator idea? Why not start researching materials that could make it a reality? Just imagine the spinoffs that would be applied to buildings and vehicles right here on Earth. After we have a practical way to get materials into space cheaply, then let's start building a real spacecraft, one built in space and not designed to make planet fall, perhaps in the form of a wheel that could be spun to create artificial gravity. I'm not talking about a puny vehicle such as ply the Earth's tiny oceans, but a space craft that is measured in kilometers.

    Why not? Who thought we would land men on the moon in 12 years back in '57 when the Soviets put the first man made object into space?
    It would meet with resistance because it would make the Earth look like a giant sperm cell.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •