Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 49

Thread: Yemen says U.S. drone struck a wedding convoy, killing 14

  1. #31
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Yemen says U.S. drone struck a wedding convoy, killing 14

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    When are we going to realize that these killings are making more enemies than we are taking out.
    If that's true, does that mean that every terrorist attack against civilians makes more enemies than they kill?
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  2. #32
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Yemen says U.S. drone struck a wedding convoy, killing 14

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    If that's true, does that mean that every terrorist attack against civilians makes more enemies than they kill?
    Yes, but I don't think they're even wanting to affect change through friendship, but rather they want to affect change through fear and intimation. That don't give one whit about being your/our friends.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #33
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Yemen says U.S. drone struck a wedding convoy, killing 14

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Yes, but I don't think they're even wanting to affect change through friendship, but rather they want to affect change through fear and intimation. That don't give one whit about being your/our friends.
    It opens up interesting lines of logic:

    -1 So the US can continue and, because there's more terrorist attacks against civilians than US attacks, the number of people that the terrorists make enemies out of will continue to rise much faster than the number of people that the US make enemies out of.

    Or:

    -2 The US should do nothing at all, and just continue to have the terrorists make more and more enemies.

    Or maybe those lines or argumentation indicate that the foundation we're basing it on (that this creates more enemies than it kills) is incomplete at best and erroneous at worst.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  4. #34
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Yemen says U.S. drone struck a wedding convoy, killing 14

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    It opens up interesting lines of logic:

    -1 So the US can continue and, because there's more terrorist attacks against civilians than US attacks, the number of people that the terrorists make enemies out of will continue to rise much faster than the number of people that the US make enemies out of.

    Or:

    -2 The US should do nothing at all, and just continue to have the terrorists make more and more enemies.

    Or maybe those lines or argumentation indicate that the foundation we're basing it on (that this creates more enemies than it kills) is incomplete at best and erroneous at worst.
    Our whole line of world politics thinking needs re-thinking.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #35
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Yemen says U.S. drone struck a wedding convoy, killing 14

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    If that's true, does that mean that every terrorist attack against civilians makes more enemies than they kill?
    Possibly, but that doesn't affect feelings toward the US at all....
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  6. #36
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Yemen says U.S. drone struck a wedding convoy, killing 14

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    Possibly, but that doesn't affect feelings toward the US at all....
    Feelings toward the US isn't really the end game. It's a means to an end, right?
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  7. #37
    Guru
    annata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    beneath the bodi tree
    Last Seen
    02-16-17 @ 12:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,163

    Re: Yemen says U.S. drone struck a wedding convoy, killing 14

    There is no "logic" in this is a supposed war. It's asymetrical, it's poorly planned (nationbuilding in Iraq, and Afg), and the targeting is dubious.

    At the risk of inserting some sane approach, into the Perpetual War; drone ( or airstrikes ) on so called "militants" should be used only on a high value target.
    Only if that target is an imminent threat to the US, or our allies.

    This is so called precison weaponry, yet the targeting is dubious at best in Yemen. Pakistan targeting is more precise, but we wind up targeting Tehreek-e-Taliban in Pakkistan's internal fight with their Taliban.

    Why? Because we are commited somehow to building a stable state in Afganistan ; which given history, is almost -if not - impossible.

    Better to let the Pakistani's handle their own security - like this - since we have no real long term role/concerns in that part of the world: (breaking)

    Top Pakistani Taliban commander arrested in Karachi | NDTV.com
    Oṃ maṇi padme hūṃ

  8. #38
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Yemen says U.S. drone struck a wedding convoy, killing 14

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    Feelings toward the US isn't really the end game. It's a means to an end, right?
    Well it should be the end game, why else are we there?
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  9. #39
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Yemen says U.S. drone struck a wedding convoy, killing 14

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    Well it should be the end game, why else are we there?
    To advance American interests.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  10. #40
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Yemen says U.S. drone struck a wedding convoy, killing 14

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    To advance American interests.
    well there is something we can agree on.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •