Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 116

Thread: Boehner lashes out at conservative groups on budget deal

  1. #91
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,697

    Re: Boehner lashes out at conservative groups on budget deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Apparently not, sometimes it takes experience along with the school of hard knocks. I remember back in 1964 campaigning and voting for Barry Goldwater. There were quite a lot of people who told me he couldn't win, that the Republicans needed to nominate someone who could win. But I wouldn't listen, none of us Goldwater supporters would listen. We celebrated big time when he won the California Primary and then the nomination. We were totally unprepared for the election results that November.

    I learned, so too should the tea party have learned from their Aiken, Mourdock, Angle, O'Donnell nominations that cost senate seats. Apparently not.
    In any attempt to effect change there will be some degree of failure. However, to succeed means reviewing those failures and figuring out how to overcome them. You will never succeed if you choose, instead, to cease your pursuit simply to avoid failure.

  2. #92
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,949
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Boehner lashes out at conservative groups on budget deal

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    I read your blogs with an almost religious fervor, but you know that!
    Roger that. It is nice to know the time I put into the research is not for nothing. Things keep changing, slowly, but they do.,
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  3. #93
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,949
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Boehner lashes out at conservative groups on budget deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    In any attempt to effect change there will be some degree of failure. However, to succeed means reviewing those failures and figuring out how to overcome them. You will never succeed if you choose, instead, to cease your pursuit simply to avoid failure.
    Exactly, But as Kenny Rogers once sang, "You got to know when to hold them and you got to know when to fold them." One has to know how to pick and choose one's battles. Now is not the time for another government shutdown. Sometimes one just has to go with the flow while keeping his eyes on the big prize. A couple of steps back can be a good thing if it leads to a great leap forward.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  4. #94
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Boehner lashes out at conservative groups on budget deal

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Because it makes life pretty easy for them when they have a responsible guy they can criticize for making government work while they can demagogue to win their tea party base. If he was REALLY as unpopular on the right as you are led to believe he'd be gone. There's only one thing the Reps in Congress fear more than their Tea Party base...that Tea Party actions will cause massive damage to the country and the Republican brand
    Give the stupid and inaccurate TP meme a rest. Only 18 house members are TP members. You've been reading from an old script, try something new.

  5. #95
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,213

    Re: Boehner lashes out at conservative groups on budget deal

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Give the stupid and inaccurate TP meme a rest. Only 18 house members are TP members. You've been reading from an old script, try something new.
    Yes...sooo inaccurate...I mean we just had a government shutdown because of hardliners on the right.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  6. #96
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Boehner lashes out at conservative groups on budget deal

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Yes...sooo inaccurate...I mean we just had a government shutdown because of hardliners on the right.
    Of whom, again, only 18 were TP reps. Go ahead, we'll wait, google how many republican seats are in the House, you'll see how silly the meme is from the get go.

  7. #97
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,213

    Re: Boehner lashes out at conservative groups on budget deal

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Of whom, again, only 18 were TP reps. Go ahead, we'll wait, google how many republican seats are in the House, you'll see how silly the meme is from the get go.
    So Tea Party influence stops beyond the 18 House members that caucus with the Tea Party? Sorry...that's numerically impossible for 18 House members to force a government shutdown. Boehner stated there were not enough votes for a "clean" spending bill to end the shutdown. Using the Hastertt rule that means that at least 117 House members supported the TP stance
    Last edited by iliveonramen; 12-12-13 at 02:24 PM.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  8. #98
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Boehner lashes out at conservative groups on budget deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Exactly, But as Kenny Rogers once sang, "You got to know when to hold them and you got to know when to fold them." One has to know how to pick and choose one's battles. Now is not the time for another government shutdown. Sometimes one just has to go with the flow while keeping his eyes on the big prize. A couple of steps back can be a good thing if it leads to a great leap forward.
    I agree with old Kenny's addage there. However, I disagree that this is a "fold them" situation.

    Last time...when you're pushing for the removal of Obamacare, then the defunding of it, then the delaying of it when you KNEW there was VERY little chance that it'd succeed even with a shutdown and that by being the people demanding a change from the status quo you'd be viewed as more at fault...THAT's a time to fold.

    This time, if the focus is pushing for a "clean" CR that simply keeps spending at the exact same levels across the board as it has been for this year, then I don't agree that such would be a time to fold because that is a much better hand than was dealt back in October. In that instance, it would be the DEMOCRATS being the ones demanding a change from the status quo to come on board and thus would likely bear the greater brunt of a shut down in that instance.

  9. #99
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,949
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Boehner lashes out at conservative groups on budget deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I agree with old Kenny's addage there. However, I disagree that this is a "fold them" situation.

    Last time...when you're pushing for the removal of Obamacare, then the defunding of it, then the delaying of it when you KNEW there was VERY little chance that it'd succeed even with a shutdown and that by being the people demanding a change from the status quo you'd be viewed as more at fault...THAT's a time to fold.

    This time, if the focus is pushing for a "clean" CR that simply keeps spending at the exact same levels across the board as it has been for this year, then I don't agree that such would be a time to fold because that is a much better hand than was dealt back in October. In that instance, it would be the DEMOCRATS being the ones demanding a change from the status quo to come on board and thus would likely bear the greater brunt of a shut down in that instance.
    I would agree with that if the first shutdown hadn't happened. I said back then if the shutdown had been over spending I would have been onboard, but not over defunding Obamacare. I do not think the American people are ready for another shutdown this close to the last one, what ever the reason. I do not think it matters as to who is at fault or what it is all about, the Republicans would be tarred as the culprits who caused it. All you would hear from the public is, "Oh no, not again."
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  10. #100
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Boehner lashes out at conservative groups on budget deal

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    So Tea Party influence stops beyond the 18 House members that caucus with the Tea Party? Sorry...that's numerically impossible for 18 House members to force a government shutdown. Boehner stated there were not enough votes for a "clean" spending bill to end the shutdown. Using the Hastertt rule that means that at least 117 House members supported the TP stance
    Heh, you have it with "at least 117 House members supported the TP stance". Doesn't mean they are controlled by the TP nor does it mean they are with the TP reps on everything. But you seem to be unaware of what you're saying - that it wasn't the TP that "forced a government shutdown". They are a exceedingly small part of the house and are not leadership.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •