Page 69 of 77 FirstFirst ... 19596768697071 ... LastLast
Results 681 to 690 of 766

Thread: Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Castro in 'gesture of hope'

  1. #681
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Castro in 'gesture of hope'

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Of course there is. It is written quite simply in the Declaration of Independence "... it is for the preservation of these rights that governments are instituted among men..."
    And is it still that way? Who has more rights now, the government or the individual?

  2. #682
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Castro in 'gesture of hope'

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Its not an extreme position. FACT-liberals are for more govt control (typically under the guise of it being to help). Trying to drag up an obscure and unrelated definition of the word doesent help you make your point.

    To the underlined passage above-no no no, thats not a statist- you need to go back and read the definition again, because it seems to be slipping right past.

    Do you support the ACA?
    Actually, the part you underlined is exactly what a statist is, a belief in some level of power in a central government. In can range from military and courts only, all the way to totalitarianism. You are trying to take something complex, make it simple, and then misaply it to smear people you can't actually form a coherent argument against. Stop trying to label people and actually try and argue about issues.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #683
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Castro in 'gesture of hope'

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Actually, the part you underlined is exactly what a statist is, a belief in some level of power in a central government. In can range from military and courts only, all the way to totalitarianism. You are trying to take something complex, make it simple, and then misaply it to smear people you can't actually form a coherent argument against. Stop trying to label people and actually try and argue about issues.
    No no no, there you go again. Someone who believes in "some" level of power in a central govt is not a statist. Someone who believes in increasing and advocating for MORE control in a central govt IS a statist.

    Its amazing how you pretend to not grasp the difference that (even one word, or how its phrased) matters. Like I said, liberals like to hide behind words and you are demonstrating this beautifully.

  4. #684
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Castro in 'gesture of hope'

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    No no no, there you go again. Someone who believes in "some" level of power in a central govt is not a statist. Someone who believes in increasing and advocating for MORE control in a central govt IS a statist.

    Its amazing how you pretend to not grasp the difference that (even one word, or how its phrased) matters. Like I said, liberals like to hide behind words and you are demonstrating this beautifully.
    No, it is you who fails to grasp a simple concept. You even linked to an in depth article that explained it.

    I am not hiding behind words, I am simply showing you misusing a word to create straw men arguments. Start arguing concepts, then you won't have to hide behind playing for definitions and trying to argue against my lean instead of what I am saying.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #685
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,505

    Re: Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Castro in 'gesture of hope'

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    And is it still that way? Who has more rights now, the government or the individual?
    That is still the purpose of government. The trouble is, government has a tendency to do other things as well, and we, the people have been allowing it to get away with this increase in power.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  6. #686
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Castro in 'gesture of hope'

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    No no no, there you go again. Someone who believes in "some" level of power in a central govt is not a statist. Someone who believes in increasing and advocating for MORE control in a central govt IS a statist.

    Its amazing how you pretend to not grasp the difference that (even one word, or how its phrased) matters. Like I said, liberals like to hide behind words and you are demonstrating this beautifully.
    No, Redress is right. Statism is essentially the belief that the state is necessary to any sort of degree. There is different scales or degrees of statism, but even a minarchist is a statist.

  7. #687
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Castro in 'gesture of hope'

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    No, Redress is right. Statism is essentially the belief that the state is necessary to any sort of degree. There is different scales or degrees of statism, but even a minarchist is a statist.
    Statism is not the opposite of anarchism.

  8. #688
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Castro in 'gesture of hope'

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Statism is not the opposite of anarchism.
    No, that is exactly what it is. Anyone that calls for a state must argue for his or her cause as to why the state is necessary. Just as an anarchist must start with as to why the state is not necessary and how it is better without it.

  9. #689
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Castro in 'gesture of hope'

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    No, that is exactly what it is. Anyone that calls for a state must argue for his or her cause as to why the state is necessary. Just as an anarchist must start with as to why the state is not necessary and how it is better without it.
    You guys are amazing. I have now stated several times what definition I was using-the primary definition from ANY source I have looked at.
    And you all seem to hope that deep down, I was actually referring to some obscure secondary meaning. How much more clear can I be.

  10. #690
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Castro in 'gesture of hope'

    Well here's a novelty idea, remember these:



    Make one that looks like Obama, he can bow all day long!

Page 69 of 77 FirstFirst ... 19596768697071 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •