Page 57 of 77 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast
Results 561 to 570 of 766

Thread: Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Castro in 'gesture of hope'

  1. #561
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,099

    Re: Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Castro in 'gesture of hope'

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Unless you have a license to do so, and your friend can legally recieve it-yes.
    Still don't see your point.

    You seem to be saying that it will have absolutely no effect on incarceration rates when pot is legalized. That's users and dealers and growers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  2. #562
    Educator BlackAsCoal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    11-04-15 @ 01:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    702

    Re: Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Castro in 'gesture of hope'

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    You respond by posing the same data THAT MEANS NOTHING ALONE. It not simply about a rise in the incarcerated population-im not debating that.

    BTW the spike in both crime in the 80's, as well as the spike in incarceration correlates with the spike in gang violence and crack.

    I dont want a guy convicted 3 separate times (each unanimously) for selling crack on the street-because if he is-there he is MOST LIKELY going to do the same. And a non-violent conviction DOES NOT MEAN he is not violent.

    Here my question, with the large increase of non-violent felons in jail, we see a reduction in crime. Why is that?

    One more question-if the "war on drugs" is lost, why isn't the "war on poverty"?
    I don't know what to tell you. The data is almost intuitive, doesn't need much explanation to anyone who has been paying attention.

    "The presidency of Ronald Reagan marked the start of a long period of skyrocketing rates of incarceration, largely thanks to his unprecedented expansion of the drug war. The number of people behind bars for nonviolent drug law offenses increased from 50,000 in 1980 to over 400,000 by 1997.

    ---

    The draconian policies enacted during the hysteria remained, however, and continued to result in escalating levels of arrests and incarceration. Although Bill Clinton advocated for treatment instead of incarceration during his 1992 presidential campaign, after his first few months in the White House he reverted to the drug war strategies of his Republican predecessors by continuing to escalate the drug war. Notoriously, Clinton rejected a U.S. Sentencing Commission recommendation to eliminate the disparity between crack and powder cocaine sentences. He also rejected, with the encouragement of drug czar General Barry McCaffrey, health secretary Donna Shalala’s advice to end the federal ban on funding for syringe access programs. Yet, a month before leaving office, Clinton asserted in a Rolling Stone interview that "we really need a re-examination of our entire policy on imprisonment" of people who use drugs, and said that marijuana use "should be decriminalized."
    A Brief History of the Drug War | Drug Policy Alliance

    The notion that incarceration dramatically increased because of violent crime is false to the core. It increased because America started locking up legions of non-violent criminals for drugs.

    That evidence is glaringly apparent.

  3. #563
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Castro in 'gesture of hope'

    Yes, he was also the author of big national debt and freeing mental patients from the social safety of the institution (which was better for themselves and the nation) and for the good things Reagan did, we'll pat him on the back for that, too.

  4. #564
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,574

    Re: Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Castro in 'gesture of hope'

    Prisons are overcrowded due to incarceration for drug offenses, pure and simple. This article was big local news recently:

    Most Wanted Car Theft Suspect Arrested By Fresno Police

    This career criminal had been arrested several times already, of course, but let out each time due to overcrowding. Surprise, surprise, he didn't show up for court dates, imagine that!

    So, the cops rented extra space specifically for car thieves, and kept him in custody.

    Sgt. Tietjen says Luna has been stealing five to eight cars nightly for the past two months. Since the start of the year he's been arrested five times but released each time. This case is different. "He's gonna stay in jail in custody until he goes thru the process. We know that we will see a substantial decrease in auto thefts because he's in one of those beds."

    The Fresno Police Department is currently renting five beds from the jail so accused car thieves can't get out for overcrowding. Sgt. Tietjen is ecstatic with the arrest because his task force hooked a big fish and also broke up a chop shop and recovered two stolen vehicles.

    Luna faces charges of auto theft, running a chop shop and possession of illegal drugs.
    OMG! Possession of illegal drugs! That will get him a long sentence. Now, if only he'd simply pursued his car stealing career, he might have been out and running his chop shops in a few months.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  5. #565
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Castro in 'gesture of hope'

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Yes true. And even within the Democratic Party there has been acknowledgement that the material that Snowden has released hasn't threatened national security or given any terrorists a leg up. What it has done is exposed wrong doing on the part of the NSA, embarrassed them and put the agency in a defensive and damage control mode. And hopefully everyone concerned will help in their tiny or huge way, depending on who they are and what their access, power, influence etc. is, continue to put pressure (Jim Sensenbrenner) on those who alone have both the authority and means to align the NSA with the constitution, and not with corporate or whatever other interests there may be for having veered from that in the first place.
    This is probably the greatest social change in American history going on right now and it deserves a thread of its own. It should be the number one issue of the day.

  6. #566
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Castro in 'gesture of hope'

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Like you, I have not a clue about anything regarding Raul. Don't know the guy at all.

    Ralph nader
    Howard Zinn
    Bernie sanders
    Elizabeth warren

    I admire these leftists quite a bit.
    Ralph Nader had some good ideas, such as publicizing and making the public more aware of car safety, Elizabeth Warren is a fool, and I'm not that familiar with the other two. Perhaps they are the "hard leftists" who have inspired you.

  7. #567
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Castro in 'gesture of hope'

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackAsCoal View Post
    I don't know what to tell you. The data is almost intuitive, doesn't need much explanation to anyone who has been paying attention.

    "The presidency of Ronald Reagan marked the start of a long period of skyrocketing rates of incarceration, largely thanks to his unprecedented expansion of the drug war. The number of people behind bars for nonviolent drug law offenses increased from 50,000 in 1980 to over 400,000 by 1997.

    ---

    The draconian policies enacted during the hysteria remained, however, and continued to result in escalating levels of arrests and incarceration. Although Bill Clinton advocated for treatment instead of incarceration during his 1992 presidential campaign, after his first few months in the White House he reverted to the drug war strategies of his Republican predecessors by continuing to escalate the drug war. Notoriously, Clinton rejected a U.S. Sentencing Commission recommendation to eliminate the disparity between crack and powder cocaine sentences. He also rejected, with the encouragement of drug czar General Barry McCaffrey, health secretary Donna Shalala’s advice to end the federal ban on funding for syringe access programs. Yet, a month before leaving office, Clinton asserted in a Rolling Stone interview that "we really need a re-examination of our entire policy on imprisonment" of people who use drugs, and said that marijuana use "should be decriminalized."
    A Brief History of the Drug War | Drug Policy Alliance

    The notion that incarceration dramatically increased because of violent crime is false to the core. It increased because America started locking up legions of non-violent criminals for drugs.

    That evidence is glaringly apparent.
    Intuitive? I like it. Violent crime is down, especially since the early 1990's-how do you explain this? Hopefully its intuitive.

  8. #568
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Castro in 'gesture of hope'

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Prisons are overcrowded due to incarceration for drug offenses, pure and simple. This article was big local news recently:

    Most Wanted Car Theft Suspect Arrested By Fresno Police

    This career criminal had been arrested several times already, of course, but let out each time due to overcrowding. Surprise, surprise, he didn't show up for court dates, imagine that!

    So, the cops rented extra space specifically for car thieves, and kept him in custody.



    OMG! Possession of illegal drugs! That will get him a long sentence. Now, if only he'd simply pursued his car stealing career, he might have been out and running his chop shops in a few months.
    Relax, hes a "non violent" offender. What could go wrong?

  9. #569
    Educator BlackAsCoal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    11-04-15 @ 01:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    702

    Re: Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Castro in 'gesture of hope'

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Intuitive? I like it. Violent crime is down, especially since the early 1990's-how do you explain this? Hopefully its intuitive.
    :0) Let's start from here .. "The number of people behind bars for nonviolent drug law offenses increased from 50,000 in 1980 to over 400,000 by 1997."

    Now let's talk about violent crime, which is different, and not the cause of the explosion of incarceration .. which is intuitive reading from your chart.

    US crime rate at lowest point in decades. Why America is safer now. - CSMonitor.com
    The crime rate for serious crimes, including murder, rape, and assault, has dropped significantly since the early 1990s in part because of changes in technology and policing, experts say.

    ... four main reasons for the decline:

    . Increased incarceration, including longer sentences, that keeps more criminals off the streets.
    . Improved law enforcement strategies, including advances in computer analysis and innovative technology.
    . The waning of the crack cocaine epidemic that soared from 1984 to 1990, which made cocaine cheaply available in cities across the US.
    . The graying of America characterized by the fastest-growing segment of the US population – baby boomers – passing the age of 50.

    ***

    Perhaps you can tell me how this changes the equation that the explosion of incarceration in the US is directly related to the war on drugs, the vats majority of which are for non-violent crimes.

  10. #570
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Castro in 'gesture of hope'

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackAsCoal View Post
    :0) Let's start from here .. "The number of people behind bars for nonviolent drug law offenses increased from 50,000 in 1980 to over 400,000 by 1997."

    Now let's talk about violent crime, which is different, and not the cause of the explosion of incarceration .. which is intuitive reading from your chart.

    US crime rate at lowest point in decades. Why America is safer now. - CSMonitor.com
    The crime rate for serious crimes, including murder, rape, and assault, has dropped significantly since the early 1990s in part because of changes in technology and policing, experts say.

    ... four main reasons for the decline:

    . Increased incarceration, including longer sentences, that keeps more criminals off the streets.
    . Improved law enforcement strategies, including advances in computer analysis and innovative technology.
    . The waning of the crack cocaine epidemic that soared from 1984 to 1990, which made cocaine cheaply available in cities across the US.
    . The graying of America characterized by the fastest-growing segment of the US population – baby boomers – passing the age of 50.

    ***

    Perhaps you can tell me how this changes the equation that the explosion of incarceration in the US is directly related to the war on drugs, the vats majority of which are for non-violent crimes.
    There are other reasons for the spike, like 3 strikes regardless of the type of conviction.

    If there was no drop in crime with these drug offenders you might have a point-but there IS a drop, and as it turns out even those convicted for non-violent crimes are still criminals who do bad things.

    So im fine with it.

    Also-FROM YOU SOURCE http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2010/05...ix-key-reasons

    http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0818/p02s01-usju.html

    So what up with that?
    Last edited by US Conservative; 12-13-13 at 05:52 PM.

Page 57 of 77 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •