Page 18 of 77 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 766

Thread: Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Castro in 'gesture of hope'

  1. #171
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Castro in 'gesture of hope'

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    Exactly, so what would be the point of trading with Cuba?

    The people have no money to buy anything which is the way Castro wants it.

    Until they are gone and the new leaders change things drastically, it would be a wasted exercise, and it would close the door to Cubans that make it off the island. They would all be sent back dry feet or not.
    For the classic car enthusiasts?

    Seriously, trading with Cuba would improve the lot of the average Cuban, let them see how the rest of the world lives, and then, when inevitably there are new leaders, make it more likely that they would be more open to change.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  2. #172
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Castro in 'gesture of hope'

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    You think the Cubans are suffering because the US won't send money?

    Cuba trades with many other countries.

    Cubans are like they are because of their government. It is not the fault of the US.

    After a year-long investigation, the American Association for World Health has determined that the U.S. embargo of Cuba has dramatically harmed the health and nutrition of large numbers of ordinary Cuban citizens. As documented by the attached report, it is our expert medical opinion that the U.S. embargo has caused a significant rise in suffering-and even deaths-in Cuba.

    http://www.cubasolidarity.net/aawh.html

    While all Cuban suffering isn't the fault of US policy, there's plenty more such examples.

  3. #173
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,479

    Re: Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Castro in 'gesture of hope'

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    For the classic car enthusiasts?

    Seriously, trading with Cuba would improve the lot of the average Cuban, let them see how the rest of the world lives, and then, when inevitably there are new leaders, make it more likely that they would be more open to change.
    Those cars are not worth anything.

    They have been fixing them with parts they could find.

    I am in Mexico and people here do the same.

    I can't tell you how many Hondas or Toyotas have Nissan Sentra engines because that is all anybody can find.

  4. #174
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,479

    Re: Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Castro in 'gesture of hope'

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    After a year-long investigation, the American Association for World Health has determined that the U.S. embargo of Cuba has dramatically harmed the health and nutrition of large numbers of ordinary Cuban citizens. As documented by the attached report, it is our expert medical opinion that the U.S. embargo has caused a significant rise in suffering-and even deaths-in Cuba.

    Impact of the U.S Embargo on Health and Nutrition in Cuba

    While all Cuban suffering isn't the fault of US policy, there's plenty more such examples.
    I thought, as it was posted earlier in this thread, that Cuba has a national health system and more doctors than anywhere else.

    How can the people be suffering in Cuba and why would it be the fault of the US if Cuba can get whatever they want from Russia?

  5. #175
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Castro in 'gesture of hope'

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    First of all what is this "gesture of hope" BS? I didn't know whether to put this in media bias or here. I have no problem with him giving the guy a formal handshake in a situation like this but he seems like he is really infatuated with the guy and it looks to me like he is bowing again.
    Why is he so warm and subservient to this commie thug.









    Attachment 67157963


    Yahoo!



    You would prefer that he had spit in Castro's face, eh?

  6. #176
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Castro in 'gesture of hope'

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    You would prefer that he had spit in Castro's face, eh?
    I would prefer he stood up like the leader of the free world instead of bowing down to this little Castro thug. I would prefer that he exuded power and confidence instead of adoration and a quick formal hand shake with a steady gaze and then move on without any real acknowledgment is what I would have preferred.

  7. #177
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Castro in 'gesture of hope'

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    I would prefer he stood up like the leader of the free world instead of bowing down to this little Castro thug. I would prefer that he exuded power and confidence instead of adoration and a quick formal hand shake with a steady gaze and then move on without any real acknowledgment is what I would have preferred.
    I dont think many liberals understand this. They believe in strength through weakness.

  8. #178
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Castro in 'gesture of hope'

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    You would prefer that he had spit in Castro's face, eh?
    Well you know what they say SN.....a little dab will do ya. .....

  9. #179
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Castro in 'gesture of hope'

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    I dont think many liberals understand this. They believe in strength through weakness.
    Obama has yet to learn that his initial strategy of sucking up to terrorist and despots is a complete failure.

  10. #180
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Castro in 'gesture of hope'

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    I thought, as it was posted earlier in this thread, that Cuba has a national health system and more doctors than anywhere else.

    How can the people be suffering in Cuba and why would it be the fault of the US if Cuba can get whatever they want from Russia?
    If you really care about Cuban citizens, click the link and read the report to see the specifics on how our embargo has hurt them. I'm not advocating giving anything to Cuba, just want to see relations between the two countries normalized and the embargo lifted and relief for Cubans. As for Russia, their economy collapsed, in the late 80's due in large part to US intervention, and they aren't in the best position to provide aid to Cuba.

Page 18 of 77 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •