Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: Dalai Lama not to attend Mandela funeral

  1. #1
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,203

    Dalai Lama not to attend Mandela funeral

    Yahoo!

    The Dalai Lama, who has twice since 2009 been denied a visa for South Africa, is not planning to attend his fellow Nobel laureate Nelson Mandela's funeral, his spokesman said Sunday.

    "He has no plans to go," spokesman Tenzin Takhla told AFP in the northern Indian hilltop town of Dharamsala where the Tibetan spiritual leader is headquartered.

    Takhla did not say why the Dalai Lama would not attend Mandela's national memorial service on Tuesday or the December 15 burial at his boyhood home of Qunu.

    But the Dalai Lama was controversially denied a visa to South Africa in 2011 after being invited to give a lecture as part of celebrations for the 80th birthday of Mandela's fellow anti-apartheid campaigner Desmond Tutu.


    Turns out SA does a lot of business with COMMUNIST China. Is China's influence in Africa a result of ties with certain leaders?

  2. #2
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,193

    Re: Dalai Lama not to attend Mandela funeral

    Good for him. I daresay his absence won't be a sore point, what with legions of otherwise blase sycophants rallying for the loss of their 'hero'.
    Last edited by NoC_T; 12-10-13 at 09:34 AM.

  3. #3
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,941
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Dalai Lama not to attend Mandela funeral

    I can't say I blame him, but I am sure he will light three joss sticks and say a little prayer, chant for the recently departed regardless. Where doesn't matter.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  4. #4
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,203

    Re: Dalai Lama not to attend Mandela funeral

    Being he has been shown in the same light as Mandela, seems politics is the only reason for his absence.

  5. #5
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Dalai Lama not to attend Mandela funeral

    Bit of a none story. Was he even invited? Do we even know whether Mandela and the Dalai Lama had any kind of personal relationship? Why would he go unless? Someone seems to be casting round for a non-existent controversy.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  6. #6
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,352

    Re: Dalai Lama not to attend Mandela funeral

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    I can't say I blame him, but I am sure he will light three joss sticks and say a little prayer, chant for the recently departed regardless. Where doesn't matter.
    :

    Good morning, Pero.

  7. #7
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,941
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Dalai Lama not to attend Mandela funeral

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    :

    Good morning, Pero.
    howdy, got to run. I have a bunch of honey do's to take care of. I shall return later.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  8. #8
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,623

    Re: Dalai Lama not to attend Mandela funeral

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Yahoo! The Dalai Lama, who has twice since 2009 been denied a visa for South Africa, is not planning to attend his fellow Nobel laureate Nelson Mandela's funeral, his spokesman said Sunday. "He has no plans to go," spokesman Tenzin Takhla told AFP in the northern Indian hilltop town of Dharamsala where the Tibetan spiritual leader is headquartered. Takhla did not say why the Dalai Lama would not attend Mandela's national memorial service on Tuesday or the December 15 burial at his boyhood home of Qunu. But the Dalai Lama was controversially denied a visa to South Africa in 2011 after being invited to give a lecture as part of celebrations for the 80th birthday of Mandela's fellow anti-apartheid campaigner Desmond Tutu. Turns out SA does a lot of business with COMMUNIST China. Is China's influence in Africa a result of ties with certain leaders?
    Ahhh so SA does a lot of business with COMMUNIST China, which of course is different from the communist China we do lots of business with...

    I think it is kinda small and petty of the Dalai to shun the funeral. Mandela didn't bar the visa. I kinda figure religious leaders were just a bit bigger of a man with a smaller ego. But it does take all kinds. He won't be missed, the world is lining up to honor Mandela, one less guy in a funny robe just speeds things up a bit. Mandela will go down in history as a far more influential leader than the Dalai Dude. Maybe that's the rub, being one-upped by a dead guy....

  9. #9
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Dalai Lama not to attend Mandela funeral

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Ahhh so SA does a lot of business with COMMUNIST China, which of course is different from the communist China we do lots of business with...

    I think it is kinda small and petty of the Dalai to shun the funeral. Mandela didn't bar the visa. I kinda figure religious leaders were just a bit bigger of a man with a smaller ego. But it does take all kinds. He won't be missed, the world is lining up to honor Mandela, one less guy in a funny robe just speeds things up a bit. Mandela will go down in history as a far more influential leader than the Dalai Dude. Maybe that's the rub, being one-upped by a dead guy....
    It's small and petty for the Dalai Lama to honour South African law and not enter the country without a visa?
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  10. #10
    Educator BlackAsCoal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    11-04-15 @ 01:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    702

    Re: Dalai Lama not to attend Mandela funeral

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Yahoo!

    The Dalai Lama, who has twice since 2009 been denied a visa for South Africa, is not planning to attend his fellow Nobel laureate Nelson Mandela's funeral, his spokesman said Sunday.

    "He has no plans to go," spokesman Tenzin Takhla told AFP in the northern Indian hilltop town of Dharamsala where the Tibetan spiritual leader is headquartered.

    Takhla did not say why the Dalai Lama would not attend Mandela's national memorial service on Tuesday or the December 15 burial at his boyhood home of Qunu.

    But the Dalai Lama was controversially denied a visa to South Africa in 2011 after being invited to give a lecture as part of celebrations for the 80th birthday of Mandela's fellow anti-apartheid campaigner Desmond Tutu.


    Turns out SA does a lot of business with COMMUNIST China. Is China's influence in Africa a result of ties with certain leaders?
    This is the flea on an elephants ass.

    He won't be missed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •