Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 55

Thread: Obama Faces Backlash Over New Corporate Powers In Secret Trade Deal

  1. #1
    Educator BlackAsCoal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    11-04-15 @ 01:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    702

    Obama Faces Backlash Over New Corporate Powers In Secret Trade Deal

    WASHINGTON -- The Obama administration appears to have almost no international support for controversial new trade standards that would grant radical new political powers to corporations, increase the cost of prescription medications and restrict bank regulation, according to two internal memos obtained by The Huffington Post.

    ---

    New standards concerning access to key medicines appear to be equally problematic for many nations. The Obama administration is insisting on mandating new intellectual property rules in the treaty that would grant pharmaceutical companies long-term monopolies on new medications. As a result, companies can charge high prices without regard to competition from generic providers. The result, public health experts have warned, would be higher prices around the world, and lack of access to life-saving drugs in poor countries. Nearly every intellectual property issue in the November chart is opposed by a broad majority of the 12 nations. The December memo describes 119 "outstanding issues" that remain unresolved between the nations on intellectual property matters. The deal would obligate nations to develop many standards similar to those in the United States, where domestic prescription drug prices are much higher than costs in other nations.
    Obama Faces Backlash Over New Corporate Powers In Secret Trade Deal

    Obama is and has been nothing but a corporatist shill.

    'Hope and change' my ass.

  2. #2
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,566

    Re: Obama Faces Backlash Over New Corporate Powers In Secret Trade Deal

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackAsCoal View Post
    WASHINGTON -- The Obama administration appears to have almost no international support for controversial new trade standards that would grant radical new political powers to corporations, increase the cost of prescription medications and restrict bank regulation, according to two internal memos obtained by The Huffington Post.

    ---

    New standards concerning access to key medicines appear to be equally problematic for many nations. The Obama administration is insisting on mandating new intellectual property rules in the treaty that would grant pharmaceutical companies long-term monopolies on new medications. As a result, companies can charge high prices without regard to competition from generic providers. The result, public health experts have warned, would be higher prices around the world, and lack of access to life-saving drugs in poor countries. Nearly every intellectual property issue in the November chart is opposed by a broad majority of the 12 nations. The December memo describes 119 "outstanding issues" that remain unresolved between the nations on intellectual property matters. The deal would obligate nations to develop many standards similar to those in the United States, where domestic prescription drug prices are much higher than costs in other nations.
    Obama Faces Backlash Over New Corporate Powers In Secret Trade Deal

    Obama is and has been nothing but a corporatist shill.

    'Hope and change' my ass.
    It is copyright protection that allows the massive investment in developing the new drugs in the first place. If unable to "price gouge", for a limited period of time, then how is one expected to fund R&D for creating these new miracle drugs? If everyone is allowed to simply (and immediately) "reverse engineer" a new product, and crank out "low cost" clones of its own, then who is going to bother to fund the massive R&D effort to create the new product in the first place?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  3. #3
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,928
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Obama Faces Backlash Over New Corporate Powers In Secret Trade Deal

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackAsCoal View Post
    WASHINGTON -- The Obama administration appears to have almost no international support for controversial new trade standards that would grant radical new political powers to corporations, increase the cost of prescription medications and restrict bank regulation, according to two internal memos obtained by The Huffington Post.

    ---

    New standards concerning access to key medicines appear to be equally problematic for many nations. The Obama administration is insisting on mandating new intellectual property rules in the treaty that would grant pharmaceutical companies long-term monopolies on new medications. As a result, companies can charge high prices without regard to competition from generic providers. The result, public health experts have warned, would be higher prices around the world, and lack of access to life-saving drugs in poor countries. Nearly every intellectual property issue in the November chart is opposed by a broad majority of the 12 nations. The December memo describes 119 "outstanding issues" that remain unresolved between the nations on intellectual property matters. The deal would obligate nations to develop many standards similar to those in the United States, where domestic prescription drug prices are much higher than costs in other nations.
    Obama Faces Backlash Over New Corporate Powers In Secret Trade Deal

    Obama is and has been nothing but a corporatist shill.

    'Hope and change' my ass.
    It is not just Obama, it is both parties. Each candidate last year spend a billion dollars each on their campaigns for the presidency. Where do you think most of that money came from? From corporations, Wall Street Firms, Lobbyist, special interest, big money donors like koch and Soros etc. The same goes for the senate and house races. I don't have a list yet for 2012 who gave what to whom, I haven't been able to find it, but here is a list of names who gave to both parties and candidates in 2008, Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan Chase, Citigroup, UBS AG, Morgan Stanley, Lehman Brothers, Bangkok of America, Exxon/Mobil and on and on.

    Now why would all these folks give to both parties? I can tell you it wasn't their civic mindedness. They want whoever wins to owe them, to be beholden to them. They want to be able to say to our elected leaders, I want this tax break, this subsidy, this contract, this piece of legislation passed, if you won't do it, then next election I will give all my money to the other party so you won't be able to run a credible campaign.

    Both major political parties owe their heart and soul to corporations, special interests who provide the bulk of their money to finance their campaigns. Which ever party has the most incumbents will receive the most money from these special interests as they usually win. But they also cover their butts and give some to the challengers just in case they win. This way, no matter who wins, they are covered. The winner will always owe them.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  4. #4
    Educator BlackAsCoal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    11-04-15 @ 01:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    702

    Re: Obama Faces Backlash Over New Corporate Powers In Secret Trade Deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    It is not just Obama, it is both parties. Each candidate last year spend a billion dollars each on their campaigns for the presidency. Where do you think most of that money came from? From corporations, Wall Street Firms, Lobbyist, special interest, big money donors like koch and Soros etc. The same goes for the senate and house races. I don't have a list yet for 2012 who gave what to whom, I haven't been able to find it, but here is a list of names who gave to both parties and candidates in 2008, Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan Chase, Citigroup, UBS AG, Morgan Stanley, Lehman Brothers, Bangkok of America, Exxon/Mobil and on and on.

    Now why would all these folks give to both parties? I can tell you it wasn't their civic mindedness. They want whoever wins to owe them, to be beholden to them. They want to be able to say to our elected leaders, I want this tax break, this subsidy, this contract, this piece of legislation passed, if you won't do it, then next election I will give all my money to the other party so you won't be able to run a credible campaign.

    Both major political parties owe their heart and soul to corporations, special interests who provide the bulk of their money to finance their campaigns. Which ever party has the most incumbents will receive the most money from these special interests as they usually win. But they also cover their butts and give some to the challengers just in case they win. This way, no matter who wins, they are covered. The winner will always owe them.
    You are absolutely right on point.

  5. #5
    Guru
    annata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    beneath the bodi tree
    Last Seen
    02-16-17 @ 12:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,163

    Re: Obama Faces Backlash Over New Corporate Powers In Secret Trade Deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    It is not just Obama, it is both parties. Each candidate last year spend a billion dollars each on their campaigns for the presidency. Where do you think most of that money came from? From corporations, Wall Street Firms, Lobbyist, special interest, big money donors like koch and Soros etc. The same goes for the senate and house races. I don't have a list yet for 2012 who gave what to whom, I haven't been able to find it, but here is a list of names who gave to both parties and candidates in 2008, Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan Chase, Citigroup, UBS AG, Morgan Stanley, Lehman Brothers, Bangkok of America, Exxon/Mobil and on and on.

    Now why would all these folks give to both parties? I can tell you it wasn't their civic mindedness. They want whoever wins to owe them, to be beholden to them. They want to be able to say to our elected leaders, I want this tax break, this subsidy, this contract, this piece of legislation passed, if you won't do it, then next election I will give all my money to the other party so you won't be able to run a credible campaign.

    Both major political parties owe their heart and soul to corporations, special interests who provide the bulk of their money to finance their campaigns. Which ever party has the most incumbents will receive the most money from these special interests as they usually win. But they also cover their butts and give some to the challengers just in case they win. This way, no matter who wins, they are covered. The winner will always owe them.
    well said. The plutocrats own our electoral system. It's run by Big Money - why is Congress even allowed to own stocks?
    A blind trust at minimum. These people legislate.

    Anyways,,Obama is a corporatist shill...that is true. For those whom thought otherwise - WAKE UP!!
    Oṃ maṇi padme hūṃ

  6. #6
    Educator BlackAsCoal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    11-04-15 @ 01:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    702

    Re: Obama Faces Backlash Over New Corporate Powers In Secret Trade Deal

    Quote Originally Posted by annata View Post
    well said. The plutocrats own our electoral system. It's run by Big Money - why is Congress even allowed to own stocks?
    A blind trust at minimum. These people legislate.

    Anyways,,Obama is a corporatist shill...that is true. For those whom thought otherwise - WAKE UP!!

  7. #7
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,373

    Re: Obama Faces Backlash Over New Corporate Powers In Secret Trade Deal

    If they are secret, how does Mr. Carter know about them?

    Mr. Obama is my president.

  8. #8
    Educator BlackAsCoal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    11-04-15 @ 01:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    702

    Re: Obama Faces Backlash Over New Corporate Powers In Secret Trade Deal

    Protesters Creatively Expose Obama's Secret Trade Deal that Would Give Corporations Immense Power (Photos)
    Activists dropped banners and marched in a “Fast Track” train to draw attention to the Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement that corporations are trying to quickly make law.

    September 25, 2013

    Imagine a law that would allow corporations to sue countries whose labor laws, environmental legislation or food safety regulations result in a loss of profit. Well, it has a name: the Trans-Pacific Partnership. This agreement would further undermine the last traces of our democracy by allowing corporate power to permeate through various areas of our society.

    And it’s all being negotiated in secret. About 600 representatives of corporate-interest groups, including Walmart, Monsanto, Chevron and Halliburton, have been advising the White House on the new agreement. Meanwhile, Congress has been completely left out of the matter, and now corporations want to “fast track” the legislation in order to quickly make their dreams come true. This process, known as Trade Promotion Authority, allows the president to sign legislation into law without congressional approval. Congress will then only get to weigh in with an up or down vote on the matter, without expert testimonies, hearings or opportunities to make amendments. This could all happen within the next few months.

    http://www.alternet.org/activism/act...partnership-dc

  9. #9
    Guru
    annata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    beneath the bodi tree
    Last Seen
    02-16-17 @ 12:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,163

    Re: Obama Faces Backlash Over New Corporate Powers In Secret Trade Deal

    fr: link above
    This process, known as Trade Promotion Authority, allows the president to sign legislation into law without congressional approval.
    this is blatant abuse of executive powers -Congress has to ratify treatys. I'm not sure if Cogress delegated this, or the executive just glommed it up.

    It HAS TO STOP -we are passing the point of a Unitary POTUS, and hreaed toward a freking Imperial POTUS.
    Turley: Obama's "Become The Very Danger The Constitution Was Designed To Avoid" | Video | RealClearPolitics
    JONATHAN TURLEY: Thank you, Mr. Chairman. The danger is quite severe. The problem with what the president is doing is that he's not simply posing a danger to the constitutional system. He's becoming the very danger the Constitution was designed to avoid. That is the concentration of power in every single branch
    SCOTUS won't act; I did see Jonathan Turley testify the othere day about executive powers....no one cares.

    we are undermining any semblance of seperation of powers
    Oṃ maṇi padme hūṃ

  10. #10
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Faces Backlash Over New Corporate Powers In Secret Trade Deal

    Pharmaceutical companies are given BOTH exemption from anti-trust laws AND copyright/patent protect - allowing them to literally extort you with your own life. Pay ANYTHING that company wants or die, because no other company can sell it, even if the independently discovered it. Plus of the company that holds the copyright/patent decides NOT to sell it, you can't buy it from anyone.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •