Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 159

Thread: Ga. Man Must Pay $50,000 After Breaking Engagement to Fiancee, Appeals Court Says

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    12-10-13 @ 12:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    74

    Ga. Man Must Pay $50,000 After Breaking Engagement to Fiancee, Appeals Court Says

    At first blush I thought you gotta be kidding. However upon reading into the matter and given the fraud committed here, plus the fact the woman quit her job and then was asked to move out of the home they shared by the philandering fiancee? I'm less inclined to be shocked at the verdict though not sure how I feel about the legality of it. In any case the man's excuse is just stupid.

    Ga. Man Must Pay $50,000 After Breaking Engagement to Fiancee, Appeals Court Says - Yahoo


    A Georgia man is undecided about whether to challenge a state appeals court's decision that he must pay his jilted former fiancée $50,000, his lawyer says.

    Accused of breach of promise to marry, part of his defense was that he never said the words, "Will you marry me?" to her, the court filing states.

    On Dec. 23, 2004, Christopher Ned Kelley, who works in IT, gave Melissa Cooper a ring valued at about $10,000, a court document states; she accepted and the two moved to a new home. Since 2000, Kelly, had lived with Cooper, who also had a child with him, the filing says.

    She says she left her job at his request to stay home and raise their child and her child from a previous relationship, according to a court document.

    But after the proposal, she learned that Kelley had been in a two-year relationship with another woman that began before the proposal. After Cooper confronted him, she agreed to stay with him "because of his pledges not to see the other woman again and his promises thereafter to marry Cooper," the court document states.

    But in April 2011, when Cooper confronted him about a relationship with yet another woman, he told her that he wanted to be with that woman and that Cooper and the children should move out.

    "Cooper was 'devastated' by this development," the court document stated.

    In response, Cooper filed a lawsuit for a number of claims, including fraud and breach of contract to marry. The Coweta County Superior Court awarded her $43,500 and attorney fees of $6,500.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Ga. Man Must Pay $50,000 After Breaking Engagement to Fiancee, Appeals Court Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Seward View Post
    At first blush I thought you gotta be kidding. However upon reading into the matter and given the fraud committed here, plus the fact the woman quit her job and then was asked to move out of the home they shared by the philandering fiancee? I'm less inclined to be shocked at the verdict though not sure how I feel about the legality of it. In any case the man's excuse is just stupid.

    Ga. Man Must Pay $50,000 After Breaking Engagement to Fiancee, Appeals Court Says - Yahoo


    A Georgia man is undecided about whether to challenge a state appeals court's decision that he must pay his jilted former fiancée $50,000, his lawyer says.

    Accused of breach of promise to marry, part of his defense was that he never said the words, "Will you marry me?" to her, the court filing states.

    On Dec. 23, 2004, Christopher Ned Kelley, who works in IT, gave Melissa Cooper a ring valued at about $10,000, a court document states; she accepted and the two moved to a new home. Since 2000, Kelly, had lived with Cooper, who also had a child with him, the filing says.

    She says she left her job at his request to stay home and raise their child and her child from a previous relationship, according to a court document.

    But after the proposal, she learned that Kelley had been in a two-year relationship with another woman that began before the proposal. After Cooper confronted him, she agreed to stay with him "because of his pledges not to see the other woman again and his promises thereafter to marry Cooper," the court document states.

    But in April 2011, when Cooper confronted him about a relationship with yet another woman, he told her that he wanted to be with that woman and that Cooper and the children should move out.

    "Cooper was 'devastated' by this development," the court document stated.

    In response, Cooper filed a lawsuit for a number of claims, including fraud and breach of contract to marry. The Coweta County Superior Court awarded her $43,500 and attorney fees of $6,500.
    Just **** her best friend until she breaks it off. Easy peasy.

  3. #3
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Ga. Man Must Pay $50,000 After Breaking Engagement to Fiancee, Appeals Court Says

    Guess GA doesn't have common law marriage otherwise he'd be on the hook for half of everything and he'd be moving not her. They set up home as a family and she kept the covenant, he didn't, he should pay through the nose.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Ga. Man Must Pay $50,000 After Breaking Engagement to Fiancee, Appeals Court Says

    She was common street trash anyway. She had 2 kids with 2 different baby daddies.

    She was looking for a payday. Her meal ticket bolted for better ass, and she decided to get paid on his wallet.

    If I was him, I'd be plastering naked pics of her online. She deserves nothing less.

  5. #5
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,718

    Re: Ga. Man Must Pay $50,000 After Breaking Engagement to Fiancee, Appeals Court Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    She was common street trash anyway.
    Met her, have you?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #6
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Ga. Man Must Pay $50,000 After Breaking Engagement to Fiancee, Appeals Court Says

    wow, that is all I can say. Wow.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Ga. Man Must Pay $50,000 After Breaking Engagement to Fiancee, Appeals Court Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Met her, have you?
    Yup. Met one, met 'em all.

  8. #8
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Ga. Man Must Pay $50,000 After Breaking Engagement to Fiancee, Appeals Court Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Seward View Post
    At first blush I thought you gotta be kidding. However upon reading into the matter and given the fraud committed here, plus the fact the woman quit her job and then was asked to move out of the home they shared by the philandering fiancee? I'm less inclined to be shocked at the verdict though not sure how I feel about the legality of it. In any case the man's excuse is just stupid.

    Ga. Man Must Pay $50,000 After Breaking Engagement to Fiancee, Appeals Court Says - Yahoo


    A Georgia man is undecided about whether to challenge a state appeals court's decision that he must pay his jilted former fiancée $50,000, his lawyer says.

    Accused of breach of promise to marry, part of his defense was that he never said the words, "Will you marry me?" to her, the court filing states.

    On Dec. 23, 2004, Christopher Ned Kelley, who works in IT, gave Melissa Cooper a ring valued at about $10,000, a court document states; she accepted and the two moved to a new home. Since 2000, Kelly, had lived with Cooper, who also had a child with him, the filing says.

    She says she left her job at his request to stay home and raise their child and her child from a previous relationship, according to a court document.

    But after the proposal, she learned that Kelley had been in a two-year relationship with another woman that began before the proposal. After Cooper confronted him, she agreed to stay with him "because of his pledges not to see the other woman again and his promises thereafter to marry Cooper," the court document states.

    But in April 2011, when Cooper confronted him about a relationship with yet another woman, he told her that he wanted to be with that woman and that Cooper and the children should move out.

    "Cooper was 'devastated' by this development," the court document stated.

    In response, Cooper filed a lawsuit for a number of claims, including fraud and breach of contract to marry. The Coweta County Superior Court awarded her $43,500 and attorney fees of $6,500.
    Well, guys, it looks as though the legal system is tightening the noose. I'm surprised, but I can't say I disagree with it. A $10,000 engagement ring sure looks like a promise to marry. And asking her to stay home to raise their (and her) child looks like a further commitment. Guess he can't just throw her away. *shrug*

    (I'm a little ambivalent because it's not something I personally would do -- her decisions. There's a part of me that says, "Hey, ya' takes your chances.")

  9. #9
    American
    cpgrad08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lakewood,WA
    Last Seen
    10-18-17 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,388
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Ga. Man Must Pay $50,000 After Breaking Engagement to Fiancee, Appeals Court Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Seward View Post
    At first blush I thought you gotta be kidding. However upon reading into the matter and given the fraud committed here, plus the fact the woman quit her job and then was asked to move out of the home they shared by the philandering fiancee? I'm less inclined to be shocked at the verdict though not sure how I feel about the legality of it. In any case the man's excuse is just stupid.

    Ga. Man Must Pay $50,000 After Breaking Engagement to Fiancee, Appeals Court Says - Yahoo


    A Georgia man is undecided about whether to challenge a state appeals court's decision that he must pay his jilted former fiancée $50,000, his lawyer says.

    Accused of breach of promise to marry, part of his defense was that he never said the words, "Will you marry me?" to her, the court filing states.

    On Dec. 23, 2004, Christopher Ned Kelley, who works in IT, gave Melissa Cooper a ring valued at about $10,000, a court document states; she accepted and the two moved to a new home. Since 2000, Kelly, had lived with Cooper, who also had a child with him, the filing says.

    She says she left her job at his request to stay home and raise their child and her child from a previous relationship, according to a court document.

    But after the proposal, she learned that Kelley had been in a two-year relationship with another woman that began before the proposal. After Cooper confronted him, she agreed to stay with him "because of his pledges not to see the other woman again and his promises thereafter to marry Cooper," the court document states.

    But in April 2011, when Cooper confronted him about a relationship with yet another woman, he told her that he wanted to be with that woman and that Cooper and the children should move out.

    "Cooper was 'devastated' by this development," the court document stated.

    In response, Cooper filed a lawsuit for a number of claims, including fraud and breach of contract to marry. The Coweta County Superior Court awarded her $43,500 and attorney fees of $6,500.
    Harder and Harder to be man when it comes to the American Legal System.

  10. #10
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,142

    Re: Ga. Man Must Pay $50,000 After Breaking Engagement to Fiancee, Appeals Court Says

    I don't think there's a basis for this. No one made her quit her job, no matter who suggested she do so. No one made her move in. No one made her do any of that stuff. People break promises all the time. It's unfortunately part of being alive, and I don't think that's grounds to actually sue someone. You make your bed and if you don't like how it's made, then just chalk it up to a learning experience. Hell, hawk the ring. It's a gift, so it's hers. There's 10 grand right there.

    She's basically suing because life doesn't always turn out how you want. That's stupid. And I mean, if a guy gives you a ring and you're still not married 10 years later, you should join us here in reality and realize it's never gonna happen. That combined with the fact that she also had an affair, and I don't see where she gets off trying to sue him.

    Georgia does not recognize cohabitating couples if they have not professed themselves to be married in common law, but there is still a procedure for divvying up property and custody/child support in these cases. That should be all she's doing, not suing.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •