Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 159

Thread: Ga. Man Must Pay $50,000 After Breaking Engagement to Fiancee, Appeals Court Says

  1. #141
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Ga. Man Must Pay $50,000 After Breaking Engagement to Fiancee, Appeals Court Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Civil litigation (which is what Henri and I were talking about) existed since the beginnings of civilization, so either civil litigation isn't communism or communism invented a time machine and set itself up at the beginning of human history.
    Early civilization was, indeed, communist by design.

  2. #142
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Ga. Man Must Pay $50,000 After Breaking Engagement to Fiancee, Appeals Court Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Early civilization was, indeed, communist by design.
    And mid and late history, apparently. Seriously, I'm just curious, is there even a civilization without civil litigation? And just so we're a hundred percent clear on what I mean: one party has a grievance with another party and takes it to an impartial court or judge where they determine the outcome.

  3. #143
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Ga. Man Must Pay $50,000 After Breaking Engagement to Fiancee, Appeals Court Says

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Guess GA doesn't have common law marriage otherwise he'd be on the hook for half of everything and he'd be moving not her. They set up home as a family and she kept the covenant, he didn't, he should pay through the nose.
    he shouldn't be paying her a damn except child support. She was not forced to move in or quit her job, the courts can't fix stupid no matter how hard they try

  4. #144
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Ga. Man Must Pay $50,000 After Breaking Engagement to Fiancee, Appeals Court Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    And mid and late history, apparently. Seriously, I'm just curious, is there even a civilization without civil litigation? And just so we're a hundred percent clear on what I mean: one party has a grievance with another party and takes it to an impartial court or judge where they determine the outcome.
    I'm sure that any tribe who didn't engage in martial law had something akin to that - of course, it may not be the best way to go. Ever split a child in half for each parent?

    The main difference back then is, probably, it was much more difficult to gain evidence. Today, for most reasonable complaints, gathering evidence to support a case is easy. I have never heard of any thriving civilization basing ownership on claims and conjecture.

  5. #145
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Ga. Man Must Pay $50,000 After Breaking Engagement to Fiancee, Appeals Court Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    "Hey man, I never asked to be born!"
    Wait..so we consent to your rules after birth without agreement, but we don't consent to being born without agreement?? WTF? Do you notice anything weird about your argument?

  6. #146
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Ga. Man Must Pay $50,000 After Breaking Engagement to Fiancee, Appeals Court Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I'm sure that any tribe who didn't engage in martial law had something akin to that - of course, it may not be the best way to go. Ever split a child in half for each parent?

    The main difference back then is, probably, it was much more difficult to gain evidence. Today, for most reasonable complaints, gathering evidence to support a case is easy. I have never heard of any thriving civilization basing ownership on claims and conjecture.
    Point being, civil litigation is everywhere, and has been everywhere since at least the dawn of writing when a code of laws was formalized. And of course for god only knows how many tens of thousands of years I'm sure members of tribes would bring a grievance to the chief and the chief would either say stfu or he would make the other pay the ten ears of corn he owed. And that was preferable because it was either that or watch the tribe tear itself to pieces over the stupidest nonsense. Point being...civil litigation, love it or hate it, executed properly or poorly, is a cornerstone of civilization and it's going nowhere.

  7. #147
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Ga. Man Must Pay $50,000 After Breaking Engagement to Fiancee, Appeals Court Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Wait..so we consent to your rules after birth without agreement, but we don't consent to being born without agreement?? WTF? Do you notice anything weird about your argument?
    If you don't like civil litigation, move to that country that doesn't have it. You know, um....that one.

  8. #148
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Ga. Man Must Pay $50,000 After Breaking Engagement to Fiancee, Appeals Court Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Point being, civil litigation is everywhere, and has been everywhere since at least the dawn of writing when a code of laws was formalized. And of course for god only knows how many tens of thousands of years I'm sure members of tribes would bring a grievance to the chief and the chief would either say stfu or he would make the other pay the ten ears of corn he owed. And that was preferable because it was either that or watch the tribe tear itself to pieces over the stupidest nonsense. Point being...civil litigation, love it or hate it, executed properly or poorly, is a cornerstone of civilization and it's going nowhere.
    I don't have a problem with civil litigation. I have a problem with one that strips rights and rewards whiners. In my court, the squeaky wheel doesn't necessarily get the grease.

  9. #149
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Ga. Man Must Pay $50,000 After Breaking Engagement to Fiancee, Appeals Court Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I don't have a problem with civil litigation. I have a problem with one that strips rights and rewards whiners. In my court, the squeaky wheel doesn't necessarily get the grease.
    That's purely rhetoric.

  10. #150
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Ga. Man Must Pay $50,000 After Breaking Engagement to Fiancee, Appeals Court Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    That's purely rhetoric.
    Fine. I'll take you to court and tell the judge that you promised to give me a thousand bucks for being so damn cute. Prepare to pay up, bucko!

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •