Page 79 of 173 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129 ... LastLast
Results 781 to 790 of 1723

Thread: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647]

  1. #781
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    LOL....so now the bigots are the ones being oppressed? Wow.....nice attempt at turning the tables. Its like the racists who try to claim that those pointing out their racism are really the racists....too funny.
    People have the natural right to decide on who they will provide service and who they will allow entry to their property. This law is a violation of property rights and a violation of the right to your own labor and yes that is oppression. It is however NOT oppression for someone to decide to not do business with you. If they don't want to serve you or allow you entry for whatever reason that is their right.
    Last edited by Henrin; 12-09-13 at 05:15 PM.

  2. #782
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,600

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    You need a name of a particular religion, start with Catholics.

    Why the Catholic Church and ‘gay marriage’ cannot coexist - CNA Blog

    As far as your comments on infidels, we have laws on the books that do not tolerate physical attacks on other persons.
    Baking a cake is not affirming anything about its intended use, it is simply baking a cake. If I run a pet shop and know that a mouse is being purchased, not as a pet, but to be used as snake food, a religious sacrifice or in a scientific experiment it is still not legal to deny its sale on that basis. All the pet shop owner is required to do is to sell pets to any and all paying customers.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  3. #783
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,875

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    The Judge didn't play "legislator". The Colorado legislature passed the State Public Accommodation law which includes sexual orientation. The law was previously posted in the thread. The State Judge ruled in accordance with the State Law.



    >>>>
    Yes but that doesn't mean it isn't happening elsewhere. I never thought I would see the day a baker would be facing a year in prison because his moral conscience did not want to participate in providing services for a gay marriage.

  4. #784
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,957

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Just don't practice your right to open a business if you don't want oppressed. Sure...sure..
    So the ones that want to discriminate are the ones being oppressed? Sorry, there is nothing oppressive about being inclusive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  5. #785
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    So the ones that want to discriminate are the ones being oppressed? Sorry, there is nothing oppressive about being inclusive...
    Unless of course it is imposed on you against your will.

  6. #786
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,804

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    Heres more articles on this win of equal rights:

    https://www.aclu.org/lgbt-rights/cha...piece-cakeshop
    Judge orders Colo. cake-maker to serve gay couples - The Washington Post
    Judge orders baker to serve gay couples despite his religious beliefs | Fox News
    Judge rules wedding cake shop must serve gays, despite owner's religious beliefs - Long Island Top News | Examiner.com
    Judge orders Colorado baker to serve gay couples - U.S. News
    Colorado baker discriminated by denying gay couple wedding cake: judge - Chicago Tribune
    Judge Rules Colorado Bakery Discriminated Against Gay Couple - Wall Street Journal - WSJ.com
    Judge orders Colo. cake-maker to serve gay couples - The Denver Post

    heres some quotes from the ruling/judge from the varies links

    when i can find the actual ruling ill post it too

    “The undisputed facts show that Respondents (Phillips) discriminated against Complainants because of their sexual orientation by refusing to sell them a wedding cake for their same-sex marriage,” Judge Spencer wrote.
    “Conceptually, [Mr. Phillips's] refusal to serve a same-sex couple due to religious objection to same-sex weddings is no different from refusing to serve a biracial couple because of religious objection to biracial marriage,” wrote Judge Spencer.
    The order says the cake-maker must “cease and desist from discriminating” against gay couples. Although the judge did not impose fines in this case, the business will face penalties if it continues to turn away gay couples who want to buy cakes.
    “At first blush, it may seem reasonable that a private business should be able to refuse service to anyone it chooses,” Judge Spencer said in his written order. “This view, however, fails to take into account the cost to society and the hurt caused to persons who are denied service simply because of who they are.”

    so theres lots of reading for everyone and it seems the fact remains the owner broke the law and illegally discriminated against others infringing on their rights

    next time the shop owner will no better and wont break the law and violate peoples rights

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    Just wanted to reply to this in case people missed all the articles and the ruling

    Owner chose to play in the public realm and open a public access business, this requires a licenses and has rules and laws that regulated it
    Owner chose to break the law, commit a crime and make himself a criminal which has consequences


    The judge actually let the criminal off easy,he didn't fine him or anything, he just gave him a cease and desist order.

    So all the owner has to do is stop breaking the law, committing crimes, illegal discriminating and stop infringing on peoples rights, seems easy to me.
    78+ pages and nothing has changed

    just another case of law, equal/civil/human rights, and freedom winning
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #787
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,957

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Unless of course it is imposed on you against your will.
    Then everybody is being oppressed to some degree... and that is kinda ridiculous.

    State imposed speed limits... I am being oppressed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  8. #788
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    In what possible way is government force imposed on people representative of freedom?

  9. #789
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,804

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    So the ones that want to discriminate are the ones being oppressed? Sorry, there is nothing oppressive about being inclusive...
    exactly nobody buys that type of fantasies and fallacies because facts prove different
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #790
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,878

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Okay, I'll try to make it easier. If a Muslim bakery refuses to write "Jesus Is Our Savior" on a cake intended for a Church social should they be forced to do so? Or would fair minded people respect their feelings on the issue?

    My answer is exactly the same.

    If you are going down that road, why should any business serve anyone with religious beliefs they disagree with? I mean, Muslims and Christians think ALL other belief systems are wrong, period.

    No cakes for christenings, none for someone getting a divorce (yes, some do celebrate that), a wedding for an athiest, none for females graduating school...yes... a Jew, a Christian or Muslim CAN carry an extremist belief and run a business...no get well cake for a woman that had an abortion, no cakes for Jews period, A Jehovah's Witness wont bake ANY birthday cakes for anyone. LOL...Have you any idea how big a business Christmas cakes are for Jewish bakeries? You would if you lived in the NYC metro area.

    Some on this thread will say they shouldnt have to. I am not in that category.
    Last edited by Lursa; 12-09-13 at 05:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •