Page 74 of 173 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124 ... LastLast
Results 731 to 740 of 1723

Thread: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647]

  1. #731
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    You have a right to your beliefs and wishes, but sorry...that is not the law in America.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  2. #732
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It's their business, their ingredients, their labor. What reason did the gay couple have to believe they had right over another's labor and property?
    if they were denied service because they were bad customers that is understandable. if they were denied service because they regular harassed the business, that is understandable.

    what did the couple do to the baker to refuse them service?
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  3. #733
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Government force against our rights is government force against our rights is government force against our rights.
    But you DON'T have the right to discriminate....that is just plain and simply the law. So there is no "government force" against a right that doesn't exist.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  4. #734
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    Do you not see the difference between gender and skin color and gays?

    People were born with a gender and their skin color.

    These people are gay because of their actions.

    Let me be clear (I am challenging Obama) I believe people are born gay, however nobody would know they were gay unless they told that person.

    You can't hide the fact that you are a woman or black.

    Do you really not see the difference between something you are born with and actions?

    We already covered this. (And there's SO much wrong with that post that I cant be bothered to deal with it, like people having to hide who they are. Tell that to the Jews. But it's outside the scope of this thread)

    But here, try this: Religious people are religious because of their actions too. And no one would know it. And they are a protected class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #735
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Nope. Not in America. Under our laws, if you want to commence commerce you consent to do commerce with anyone who walks through your doors.
    That is obviously untrue.

  6. #736
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    if they were denied service because they were bad customers that is understandable. if they were denied service because they regular harassed the business, that is understandable.

    what did the couple do to the baker to refuse them service?
    A good point. The shopkeeper could have insisted they were rude to him, called him names, swore, spit on the floor, or any number of things. Instead he told the truth and took the hard way.

  7. #737
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    A good point. The shopkeeper could have insisted they were rude to him, called him names, swore, spit on the floor, or any number of things. Instead he told the truth and took the hard way.
    the baker had done business with gay customers before, why did he refuse to make a wedding cake?
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  8. #738
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Exactly. When we force people to act against their beliefs, or use sledgehammer laws, only bitterness and divisiveness results.
    I do agree with this in many ways. You cannot legislate how people feel.

    However it cannot be denied that over time, much of that dissipates as there is social acceptance....*most* people no longer resent blacks or women *stepping out of their places* and fighting for their civil rights. The anti-discrimination laws, IMO, are working. Are we all the way there? No. But great progress, societally, as been made.

    But just like in the early 1900's and then the 1960s, many people refused to even see that women and blacks were deserving of social and legal equality...they just wanted them to shut up and go away. Personally, I find it embarrassing when I look back on the struggles of whites to prevent blacks from integrating better into society...like they were just ignorant and intolerant, bigoted and short-sighted. And it pisses me off that future generations will likely look back on our generation(s) the same way regarding civil rights for gays. It wont even be an issue for them!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #739
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Nope. Not in America. Under our laws, if you want to commence commerce you consent to do commerce with anyone who walks through your doors.
    So what you're saying is that people are forced into commerce at the behest of others.

  10. #740
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I do agree with this in many ways. You cannot legislate how people feel.

    However it cannot be denied that over time, much of that dissipates as there is social acceptance....*most* people no longer resent blacks or women *stepping out of their places* and fighting for their civil rights. The anti-discrimination laws, IMO, are working. Are we all the way there? No. But great progress, societally, as been made.
    That has to do with education, not anti-discrimination law. You don't seem to have any understanding of how social issues are dealt with.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •