Page 73 of 173 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123 ... LastLast
Results 721 to 730 of 1723

Thread: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647]

  1. #721
    Educator
    Slyhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    06-22-15 @ 03:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    I'm sorry but are the gays requiring the baker to put two grooms on the cake?
    Equating it to civil rights, they didn't requiring the baker to put a black groom and bride on the cake they still use white ones for black customers and that isn't considered discrimination.
    Islam is an antiquated religion and needs to either modernize with the times or be completely eradicated.
    There are two types of Muslims, terrorists, and their enablers. They need to fix that if they want to be part of civilized society.

  2. #722
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    gays are an extremely small part of the overall population.

    Why would people stop shopping there because of this?
    Do you feel that only Gays support Gay rights?

  3. #723
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    It is just a wedding cake and why would you believe any different?

    Please tell me where there is institutional discrimination against gays in the US.

    This is in no way comparable to the civil right fight.

    Gays are not fighting for civil rights.
    The position of discrimination and the clear parallels with other civil rights movements has been well-supported here in the thread. No need for me to repeat them. You just claimed the same thing for the third time with no different support for your argument...just "it's not the same!" And yet the state of CO does recognize sexual orientation as a protected class. So much for your declaration. You are of course, welcome to your opinion on it, as everyone is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post

    "Oh she could have just moved a few steps further and taken her seat at the back of the bus. They were all going to the same place, she'd still get there. But no, she had to make a big fuss!" /sarcasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #724
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    That argument doesn't wash because that would indicate that the shopkeeper would have to sell to anybody that came through the door.

    Shopkeepers refuse service to people all the time.
    and do the people who are refused service have the right to know whether or not the reason for being denied service was justifiable.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  5. #725
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,880

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    What does any of that have to do with government? You do realize you are explaining social acceptance right? We don't need laws to accomplish such goals.
    You know Henrin, the old Blue Laws fell into that category. Where people who did not recognize Sunday as a day of rest were forced to close down their business anyway. The Jewish shop owner ended up losing two days of business as he/she closed Friday evening at the beginning of his Sabbath and by all rights should have been allowed to open on Sunday morning for business, but there were those who forced onto others what they saw to be socially acceptable. For the life of me, I will never understand why people can not be tolerant of individuals while they enjoy the same freedoms. My word, we now have what amounts to thought police. If you don't think in a political correct way you are a bigot!

  6. #726
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    the couple were paying for the bakers service, what reason did the baker have to deny the couple a cake even though they were willing to pay for it.
    It's their business, their ingredients, their labor. What reason did the gay couple have to believe they had right over another's labor and property?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #727
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,462

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Since you choose not to recognize that this same treatment would be unacceptable and illegal for women and blacks in CO, then there's no point in my responding further. Even if you choose not to recognize gays as deserving of the same civil rights as other Americans, the state of CO does...and that is what the judge's ruling is based on.

    So you dont even have an argument at this point. Carry on.....
    Do you not see the difference between gender and skin color and gays?

    People were born with a gender and their skin color.

    These people are gay because of their actions.

    Let me be clear (I am challenging Obama) I believe people are born gay, however nobody would know they were gay unless they told that person.

    You can't hide the fact that you are a woman or black.

    Do you really not see the difference between something you are born with and actions?

  8. #728
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It's their business, their ingredients, their labor. What reason did the gay couple have to believe they had right over another's labor and property?
    Exactly. When we force people to act against their beliefs, or use sledgehammer laws, only bitterness and divisiveness results.

  9. #729
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    The only right to commerce you have is to commence commerce with those that consent to do commerce with you.
    Nope. Not in America. Under our laws, if you want to commence commerce you consent to do commerce with anyone who walks through your doors.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  10. #730
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,462

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Do you feel that only Gays support Gay rights?
    No but if people like the cake from that store they will buy it.

    Do you think people go to a bakery to get involved in a political fight?

    I don't believe that 100% of people support the gays like we are led to believe.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •