Page 72 of 173 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122172 ... LastLast
Results 711 to 720 of 1723

Thread: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647]

  1. #711
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,134

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Which is why issues like this should be settled by the people rather than getting the government involved.
    I agree. No one has right to another man's property or labor. So forcing government against it is use of government force against free exercise of rights. What should happen in these instances isn't that the government steps in to intercede. It's that those so offended should protest, boycott, raise awareness, and practice intelligent consumerism to elicit changes in local business.

    No government force is needed.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #712
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,894

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    If you can't debate the issue without involving Blacks and women then you can't have much of an argument.
    Are you denying that this is a civil rights issue for a protected class in Colorado?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #713
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,807

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Of course I wasnt. Rosa Park's act was not the only one to move the black civil rights cause forward...it was made up from thousands of people raising awareness, participating in civil disobedience, bringing law suits, submitting legislation, redrawing boundaries.

    It is just another group, legitimately IMO, fighting for their civil rights. It's not 'just about a wedding cake,' you cant really believe that, can you?
    It is just a wedding cake and why would you believe any different?

    Please tell me where there is institutional discrimination against gays in the US.

    This is in no way comparable to the civil right fight.

    Gays are not fighting for civil rights.

  4. #714
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,807

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Nope, it's about civil rights. That's been pointed out for many pages now, as have the parallels in the ways that people fight for their civil rights. I know that you already know this, since you posted about being outraged that people were comparing the black's struggles and civil rights movement to gays doing the same.
    Just because it has been pointed out by people with an agenda doesn't make it right.

  5. #715
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    01-16-18 @ 06:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,202

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Let's get something perfectly clear. Bigotry is the state of mind of a bigot: someone who, as a result of their prejudices, treats or views other people with fear, distrust, hatred, contempt, or intolerance on the basis of a person's opinion, ethnicity, race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability, socioeconomic status, or other characteristics. Being a state of mind, what one person believes is bigotry another may not. It is not illegal for a person to be bigoted toward certain groups. You have that right under the 1st amendment. However, you cannot threaten people or condone violence. You are just as bigoted toward the religious views of others as you claim them to be against gays. You state these religious people have the right to their beliefs but you are refusing them the right to practice them.
    Not at all....but the laws of this country are clear....you cannot use your religion as a shield to promote your bigotry. They have every right in the world to practice their beliefs, but if they choose to open a business, they have to comply with the laws of this great country. Sorry.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  6. #716
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,134

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Are you denying that this is a civil rights issue for a protected class in Colorado?
    It's not really civil rights as much as it is related to natural rights; life, liberty, and property. No one really has right to a cake made by another. But the person who owns that cake certainly has right to keep or sell it as they deem fit.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #717
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,894

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    It s about a shopkeeper's rights and the rights of a Gay couple who want to order a wedding cake. Obviously there is going to be an intrusion on the rights of someone.

    This can be easily resolved by the community and whether they want to purchase their goods from a baker who refuses to sell to Gays. My guess is that people would stop shopping there and the bakery would soon be out of business. It would be the bakers choice as to which he valued more. Ergo, we have to have more faith in our fellow man and the marketplace.
    Since you choose not to recognize that this same treatment would be unacceptable and illegal for women and blacks in CO, then there's no point in my responding further. Even if you choose not to recognize gays as deserving of the same civil rights as other Americans, the state of CO does...and that is what the judge's ruling is based on.

    So you dont even have an argument at this point. Carry on.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #718
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,807

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    It s about a shopkeeper's rights and the rights of a Gay couple who want to order a wedding cake. Obviously there is going to be an intrusion on the rights of someone.

    This can be easily resolved by the community and whether they want to purchase their goods from a baker who refuses to sell to Gays. My guess is that people would stop shopping there and the bakery would soon be out of business. It would be the bakers choice as to which he valued more. Ergo, we have to have more faith in our fellow man and the marketplace.
    gays are an extremely small part of the overall population.

    Why would people stop shopping there because of this?

  9. #719
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,807

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    the couple were paying for the bakers service, what reason did the baker have to deny the couple a cake even though they were willing to pay for it.
    That argument doesn't wash because that would indicate that the shopkeeper would have to sell to anybody that came through the door.

    Shopkeepers refuse service to people all the time.

  10. #720
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    the couple were paying for the bakers service, what reason did the baker have to deny the couple a cake even though they were willing to pay for it.
    The information is in the OP.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •