Page 58 of 173 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158 ... LastLast
Results 571 to 580 of 1723

Thread: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647]

  1. #571
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,808

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    1.)She was forced to shut down her business because the stink that was made over her refusing to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple, by those in the gay community picketing in front of her store making it difficult for her to do business along with receiving physical threats to her and her family and the cost to obtain legal counsel she shut down her business.

    2.) The woman displayed things of her faith on the walls of her business as well as a Bible on the counter. She was targeted because of her beliefs. And truth be known this baker in this story was too.

    3.) We still have laws that protect a person's rights to private clubs/organizations.

    4.) Bakers who have moral convictions that providing a cake for a gay marriage need not advertise they bake wedding cakes in their stores. They can solely offer their services for such things as those who share their same beliefs through private organizatons.

    5.) Most churches teach homosexuality a sin.

    6.) Nothing wrong with these bakers setting up a network within the religious communities that share their beliefs.

    7.) It's funny you bring race into this because it was the majority of the black community that came out in support for a ban on gay marriage in California 2008. Those who do not support gay marriage reaches across every color of skin in unity on this issue.
    1.) factually not true, she was not forced it was here choice.

    2.) link? proof?
    weird how would anybody know a cross and bible would mean that bakery would break the law, commit crimes and be bigoted towards gays? millions of people with bibles dont discriminate against gays

    3.) yes we do which this is not.

    4.) yes they can and if done right they can avoid being criminals

    5.) meaningless to this discussion, church doesnt make laws nor does it trump rights outside its doors

    6.) 100% correct

    7.) yep and they should be double ashamed of themselves for displaying such hypocritical bigotry BUT that has nothing to do with the topic here. Some blacks were also agaisnt interracial marriage thats a totally silly and failed strawman. You were asked a question and you dodged it. Feel free to answer the question.

    would you support discrimination based on religion, gender, race and disabilities?
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #572
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Why was she forced to shut down her business?

    And do you think that would have been a good plan for any people with religious beliefs that considered blacks as less than human (some Christian sects preached this as a means to validate their choice to support slavery, so as such was a religious belief) to do to exclude blacks for those that didnt want to serve them?
    You make a few claims here about Christians without offering any support. But, in any case, this is not about Blacks.

  3. #573
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,880

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    She wasn't "forced" to shut down her business as in the government ordering her to.

    She shutdown the store-front for economic reasons. After the case made the news there was a significant drop in business and she couldn't afford to remain open as a store-front. Operations were moved to a home-based business.


    >>>>
    I never stated that the government forced her to shut down, but she did have to retain an attorney when the allegations were brought against her. The actions of the people, which Portland has a large gay community, was less than tolerant and played the biggest role in her shutting her doors. Even thoughOregon does not recognize same sex marriage and their state constitution recognizes a person to have the right to moral conscience.

  4. #574
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    some how many people magically declare thats different. But there are also some that dont think anybody should have their rights protected in these cases, they want to allow and empower bigotry, denying equal rights and infringing on rights.

    Luckily most of us do not and the government protects our rights like it should.
    So the business is no longer open largely because of the community response, right? So what does the government need to do again?

  5. #575
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,751

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Right.....how dare blacks bitch about white restaurant owners refusing to serve them at their lunch counters! Bring back white only drinking fountains as well....right?
    You shouldn't have said that. Go to the back of the bus. LOL.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  6. #576
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    I never stated that the government forced her to shut down, but she did have to retain an attorney when the allegations were brought against her. The actions of the people, which Portland has a large gay community, was less than tolerant and played the biggest role in her shutting her doors. Even thoughOregon does not recognize same sex marriage and their state constitution recognizes a person to have the right to moral conscience.

    So businesses owners on Oregon can simply claim that their moral conscience means they shouldn't treat blacks (or Jews, or Mexicans, or women, or the elderly, or the mentally handicapped, or women) and they can function outside the law?


    >>>>

  7. #577
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    So businesses owners on Oregon can simply claim that their moral conscience means they shouldn't treat blacks (or Jews, or Mexicans, or women, or the elderly, or the mentally handicapped, or women) and they can function outside the law?>>>>
    The marketplace can determine whether people are discriminatory, as it did in the other case mentioned. There is no need for the courts to get involved.

    This going to court business has just become too silly, though it is interesting to see the leftists getting all excited about being tough on criminals.

  8. #578
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,880

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.) factually not true, she was not forced it was here choice.

    2.) link? proof?
    weird how would anybody know a cross and bible would mean that bakery would break the law, commit crimes and be bigoted towards gays? millions of people with bibles dont discriminate against gays

    3.) yes we do which this is not.

    4.) yes they can and if done right they can avoid being criminals

    5.) meaningless to this discussion, church doesnt make laws nor does it trump rights outside its doors

    6.) 100% correct

    7.) yep and they should be double ashamed of themselves for displaying such hypocritical bigotry BUT that has nothing to do with the topic here. Some blacks were also agaisnt interracial marriage thats a totally silly and failed strawman. You were asked a question and you dodged it. Feel free to answer the question.

    would you support discrimination based on religion, gender, race and disabilities?
    What part don't you get, it goes against their religious beliefs ! To force them is to violate their religious freedoms this country affords all its citizens. You don't have a problem with forcing someone to do something against their moral conscience, wtf happened to their rights? They don't deny their goods to gays, if they did that would be bigotry, but when it comes to marriage they believe it to be only recognized between a man and a woman. But like I stated earlier, if they have strong moral convictions against offering wedding cakes to gays, they simply don't have to do so in public. They can seek out the business of others who share their beliefs through private organizations. Special orders.....not offered to the public. The bakery could offer all occasion cakes or any other pastry they wish to sell to ALL people. This way they protect their business and do not have to succumb to legal battles or violate their moral conscience just to make a living.

  9. #579
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    What part don't you get, it goes against their religious beliefs ! To force them is to violate their religious freedoms this country affords all its citizens. You don't have a problem with forcing someone to do something against their moral conscience, wtf happened to their rights? They don't deny their goods to gays, if they did that would be bigotry, but when it comes to marriage they believe it to be only recognized between a man and a woman. But like I stated earlier, if they have strong moral convictions against offering wedding cakes to gays, they simply don't have to do so in public. They can seek out the business of others who share their beliefs through private organizations. Special orders.....not offered to the public. The bakery could offer all occasion cakes or any other pastry they wish to sell to ALL people. This way they protect their business and do not have to succumb to legal battles or violate their moral conscience just to make a living.
    The moral conscience of Christians tends to be out of favor with many. Would they object as strongly and go to court if the baker was a Muslim? I rather doubt it.

  10. #580
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,880

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    So businesses owners on Oregon can simply claim that their moral conscience means they shouldn't treat blacks (or Jews, or Mexicans, or women, or the elderly, or the mentally handicapped, or women) and they can function outside the law?


    >>>>
    Your hyperbole is over the top.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •