Page 57 of 173 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast
Results 561 to 570 of 1723

Thread: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647]

  1. #561
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,988

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Maybe you were, maybe you weren't. But it's teh gays that really seem to spring a libertarian into action. Just as an example, there's another thread right now where some guy was ordered to pay his fiance $50,000 for walking out on the marriage after she left her job and home for him. Calls for government to get out of marriage? Nada. However, start up a gay marriage thread and the libertarians flood it with the "government out of marriage now" one-liners. Never fails.
    Where is that thread? Sounds interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #562
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Absolutely. If you open you doors to the public, you have to comply with the laws of this country.
    Some laws, however, are retarded and / or tyrannical, though. Case in point.

  3. #563
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I will admit I was too busy being disgusted by the law that allowed it to happen to think of that. Sorry. Really though, why can't we just talk of an individual issue involving marriage without falling back on our stance on marriage? It's not like that is going to happen.
    Because it's no longer possible to see that the two issues (gay marriage and the government-out-of-marriage position) aren't inextricably tied to each other. You could ask me to pretend that one does not follow the other with uncanny reliability, but I really can't. It's like asking me to ignore the fact that daytime follows the rising of the sun and not to assume that one causes the other. Eventually it just happens with enough frequency to conclude they're not isolated occurrences.

  4. #564
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Where is that thread? Sounds interesting.
    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...ourt-says.html

  5. #565
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,903

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    A few months back, it was the woman in Portland who owned a bakery and sold all kinds of cakes and pastries to anyone that wanted them but because of her religious beliefs she did not do wedding cakes for gay couples. And she was forced to shut down her business. And this baker for the very same reasons refused a wedding cake to a gay couple due to religious beliefs and will likely be forced to shut down. I personally find this to be a violation of religious freedom forcing someone to do something against their moral conscience. Just like in Obamacare where it forces employers to pay for birth control and after morning pills that go against the moral conscience of others.

    I think at the moment to protect their livelihood, is all bakers who find offering cakes for gay marriages in conflict with their beliefs should stop offering/advertising wedding cakes in their stores but set up a network within their community of faith based organizations that believe as they do and solely provide wedding cakes to them. And the next time an intolerant gay couple who has no respect for another man's religious freedoms that goes looking for their next target to force the issue into court, they will just have to settle for the bakery down the street that didn't have any problem with baking a wedding cake for them in the first place.

  6. #566
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,988

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    A few months back, it was the woman in Portland who owned a bakery and sold all kinds of cakes and pastries to anyone that wanted them but because of her religious beliefs she did not do wedding cakes for gay couples. And she was forced to shut down her business. And this baker for the very same reasons refused a wedding cake to a gay couple due to religious beliefs and will likely be forced to shut down. I personally find this to be a violation of religious freedom forcing someone to do something against their moral conscience. Just like in Obamacare where it forces employers to pay for birth control and after morning pills that go against the moral conscience of others.

    I think at the moment to protect their livelihood, is all bakers who find offering cakes for gay marriages in conflict with their beliefs should stop offering/advertising wedding cakes in their stores but set up a network within their community of faith based organizations that believe as they do and solely provide wedding cakes to them. And the next time an intolerant gay couple who has no respect for another man's religious freedoms that goes looking for their next target to force the issue into court, they will just have to settle for the bakery down the street that didn't have any problem with baking a wedding cake for them in the first place.
    Why was she forced to shut down her business?

    And do you think that would have been a good plan for any people with religious beliefs that considered blacks as less than human (some Christian sects preached this as a means to validate their choice to support slavery, so as such was a religious belief) to do to exclude blacks for those that didnt want to serve them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #567
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vesper
    vesper View Post
    A few months back, it was the woman in Portland who owned a bakery and sold all kinds of cakes and pastries to anyone that wanted them but because of her religious beliefs she did not do wedding cakes for gay couples. And she was forced to shut down her business.
    Why was she forced to shut down her business?
    She wasn't "forced" to shut down her business as in the government ordering her to.

    She shutdown the store-front for economic reasons. After the case made the news there was a significant drop in business and she couldn't afford to remain open as a store-front. Operations were moved to a home-based business.


    >>>>

  8. #568
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,831

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    1.)A few months back, it was the woman in Portland who owned a bakery and sold all kinds of cakes and pastries to anyone that wanted them but because of her religious beliefs she did not do wedding cakes for gay couples. And she was forced to shut down her business.

    2.) And this baker for the very same reasons refused a wedding cake to a gay couple due to religious beliefs and will likely be forced to shut down.

    3.) I personally find this to be a violation of religious freedom forcing someone to do something against their moral conscience.

    4.) I think at the moment to protect their livelihood, is all bakers who find offering cakes for gay marriages in conflict with their beliefs should stop offering/advertising wedding cakes in their stores but set up a network within their community of faith based organizations that believe as they do and solely provide wedding cakes to them.


    5.) And the next time an intolerant gay couple who has no respect for another man's religious freedoms that goes looking for their next target to force the issue into court, they will just have to settle for the bakery down the street that didn't have any problem with baking a wedding cake for them in the first place.

    1.) no she was not forced to shut down her business, she choose to open that business, then she chose to break the law. Then once an investigation/review was in process, and people started protesting her criminal activity and getting the message out to the area and her suppliers she chose to shut down her store front and run things from home.

    not to mention even if she would have been forced to shut down thats not an uncommon thing for business owners that break the law.

    2.) he wont be forced either he was simply given a cease and desist order to stop breaking the law. It will be his choice if he want to follow the law or continue to break it which has consequences.

    3.) and you would be wrong because there is no force and his religious freedom is 100% intact because his religious freedom does not allow him to violate the rights of others or break the law.


    4.) this could work fine and if done right it would not break the law and violate rights

    5.) there is no proof that the customers were intolerant, were looking for a target or didnt respect thier religion. none

    but you are free to have that opinion based on total guesses.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #569
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,903

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Why was she forced to shut down her business?

    And do you think that would have been a good plan for any people with religious beliefs that considered blacks as less than human (some Christian sects preached this as a means to validate their choice to support slavery, so as such was a religious belief) to do to exclude blacks for those that didnt want to serve them?
    She was forced to shut down her business because the stink that was made over her refusing to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple, by those in the gay community picketing in front of her store making it difficult for her to do business along with receiving physical threats to her and her family and the cost to obtain legal counsel she shut down her business. The woman displayed things of her faith on the walls of her business as well as a Bible on the counter. She was targeted because of her beliefs. And truth be known this baker in this story was too. We still have laws that protect a person's rights to private clubs/organizations. Bakers who have moral convictions that providing a cake for a gay marriage need not advertise they bake wedding cakes in their stores. They can solely offer their services for such things as those who share their same beliefs through private organizatons. Most churches teach homosexuality a sin. Nothing wrong with these bakers setting up a network within the religious communities that share their beliefs. It's funny you bring race into this because it was the majority of the black community that came out in support for a ban on gay marriage in California 2008. Those who do not support gay marriage reaches across every color of skin in unity on this issue.

  10. #570
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,831

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Why was she forced to shut down her business?

    And do you think that would have been a good plan for any people with religious beliefs that considered blacks as less than human (some Christian sects preached this as a means to validate their choice to support slavery, so as such was a religious belief) to do to exclude blacks for those that didnt want to serve them?
    some how many people magically declare thats different. But there are also some that dont think anybody should have their rights protected in these cases, they want to allow and empower bigotry, denying equal rights and infringing on rights.

    Luckily most of us do not and the government protects our rights like it should.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •