Page 26 of 173 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 1723

Thread: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647]

  1. #251
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    I think that people acquiesce too easily when it comes to this stuff. The state already excludes churches from any requirement to perform gay marriages so, for all practical purposes, that precedent has already been set. Religious convictions are protected in that case but not when it comes to "public accommodations". Well, why not? Why does the church, protected by the same amendment as the baker, get a pass while the baker doesn't? Why is the baker no longer free to exercise his religious practices once he steps into the public domain? Furthermore, where is the harm caused to this couple? Was this the only bakery available to them? Were they prohibited from making their own cake because of the actions of this baker? If they were I don't see how.
    Churches do not require business licenses that set guidelines for how they conduct their affairs (I didnt write 'business', because it's not, legally or technically)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #252
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Oftencold View Post
    So what if some freak came in and demanded a pornographically themed wedding cake. Porn is legal. Are going for force the baker to decorate the cake with frosting dildos?

    It seems that by this reasoning we must.
    "Porn" is not a protected class and there are no discrimination laws that apply to it (that I'm aware of).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #253
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    You mighta missed something.
    I'm not sure what that has to do with my argument.

  4. #254
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,807

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    I think that people acquiesce too easily when it comes to this stuff. The state already excludes churches from any requirement to perform gay marriages so, for all practical purposes, that precedent has already been set. Religious convictions are protected in that case but not when it comes to "public accommodations". Well, why not? Why does the church, protected by the same amendment as the baker, get a pass while the baker doesn't? Why is the baker no longer free to exercise his religious practices once he steps into the public domain? Furthermore, where is the harm caused to this couple? Was this the only bakery available to them? Were they prohibited from making their own cake because of the actions of this baker? If they were I don't see how.
    Yes, operating as a business that holds out to the public makes you subject to laws that apply to a business. OSHA requires certain safety standards for a business but I don't have to install emergency gas shutoff switches in my kitchen. Colorado law forbids such a business from discriminating on the basis of race, gender, or sexuality.

    I asked before: if I truly believe all illness is the will of God, can my restaurant be exempt from food safety laws?

    Are you telling me it's ok to refuse to sell my pilot services to black people because other pilots exist? Let's say I'm old school Mormon so I believe black people are evil or whatever the heck their deal was.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #255
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,462

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.) theres zero bigotry in the ruling, equal rights is being protected
    2.) 100% completely false his values are still intact and he is 100% allowed to believe in them, there is no force
    3.) except theres no facts to support this lie

    I always love reading the fantasy you post and watching it get destroyed
    Wow, you let 35 other post before yours. I would have thought you would have been #2 or #3.

    After all this is your pet cause.

  6. #256
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Not according to the 1964 Civil Rights Act and other U.S. laws they don't.


    "Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself." ~ Robert Green Ingersoll
    Your point is what? That law can violate the rights of people? Is that supposed to be ground breaking information to me?

  7. #257
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,808

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    26 pages and nothign has changed

    lets recap


    this guy CHOSE to participate in the PUBLIC REALM which has rules and laws that regulate it and they are the same for us all.

    He ran a public access business and he was NOT allowed to ILLEGALLY discriminate and violate rights of people just like every other public realm/ public access businesses is not allowed to do either.

    He chose to break laws and rules and violate rights, there is a price to pay for this

    seems the perfectly right decision was made


    illegal discrimination loses and civility, equality and rights win! that's a good thing!


    next time dont break this dip**** will think twice before breaking the law and violating peoples rights
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #258
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I'm not sure what that has to do with my argument.
    I misinterpreted.

    You do realize the law in question is the Coloarado Anti Discrimination Act, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  9. #259
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,462

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    True they don't, but they should. Where should the line be? Should restaurants be forced to remove pork from the menu and sell only kosher beef because some religions might be offended? Short females be granted special concessions due to their obvious disability in relation to NBA opportunities?

    Bottom line, everybody is offended by something. There is plenty of opportunity for everybody to pick and choose what they want without infringing on my right to do the same.

    Don't like a place of business, don't patronize it.
    That would take common sense which an extinct animal.

  10. #260
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    So the bottom line this guy CHOSE to participate in the PUBLIC REALM which has rules and laws that regulate it and they are the same for us all.
    He ran a public access business and he was NOT allowed to ILLEGALLY discriminate and violate rights of people just like every other public realm/ public access businesses is not allowed to either.



    seems the perfectly right decision was made


    illegal discrimination loses, thats a good thing
    The right to force people to associate with you.
    The right to get service from other people against their will.
    The right to enter property that is not your own.
    The right to use resources that are not your own.

    Do I have it about covered on this "equal" rights argument of yours?

    I still can't help to laugh at people believing there is a such thing as a public business.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •