Page 17 of 173 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 1723

Thread: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647]

  1. #161
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Christ himself never spoke on the subject...and many Christian religions are not against the idea, although many are. Regardless...you cannot hide behind religion as an excuse for bigotry. That is exactly what this Court said. If you choose to do business in this country, you have to comply with the laws of this land. You cannot use your religion as a shield to promote your bigotry and decide who you want to allow to patronize your business. This is the same ruling that prevented bigoted restaurant owners from refusing to serve blacks, just because they believed it violated their perverted version of "morality".
    The sad thing about your argument is that no one at any point could cite a Bible verse to support their belief that black people were inferior to whites. However, there are many Bible verses that state that homosexuality is wrong. That's the difference and that's where people such as these bakery owners have ground to stand on. Comparing racial discrimination against this is apples to oranges IMO.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  2. #162
    Educator Soupnazi630's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    11-08-14 @ 09:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    855

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    You are certainly entitled to your bigoted views. That is what is great about America.
    And you are entitled to conduct your private business in accordance with those views. To include discriminating in who you conduct business with.

  3. #163
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Soupnazi630 View Post
    I am absolutely correct and there is nothing in the constituion you can quote forbidding such practices.

    Refusing to do business with someone is not imposing your view on them. Taking them to court and forcing them to conduct business IS imposing your view on them.

    The racial segregation in the south was more the result of state laws requiring segregation which is just as bad as forbidding it. They forbade racial discrimination but not in terms of refusing service. basically is I run a resteraunt I can not order blacks to sit in a certain spot but I can tell them to leave I do not want their money.

    Conducting your private affairs ( and business is private ) with whoever you choose is protected by the constitution even if it is for stupid reasons you cannot quote a clause which states otherwise.


    Once again you seem to confuse that the constitution is about restricting government not people.

    The signs I refer to which claim mean squat are a statement of personal rights and mean exactly what they say.

    I daresay you know little like most christians about what christ taught and part of the evidence for this is that it is you wishing to impose your view of christianity on others the baker did not.

    Unlike those you support he was practicing and living within the confines of our constitution.

    Sorry...but you couldn't be more wrong. Which is exactly why this court ruled the way it did...and more and more courts are striking down bigotry.

    As far as the teachings of Christ...I know more than you would seem to believe. I have studied the life of Jesus Christ extensively and I know his teachings well. One of the main teachings of Jesus Christ stands completely opposed to the actions of this Baker and the other bigots who would follow his path. "Inasmuch as ye have done it onto one of the least of these, my bretheren, you have done it unto me". This Baker should try to be more "Christlike" and less whatever the word "Christian" means these days.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  4. #164
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Soupnazi630 View Post
    And you are entitled to conduct your private business in accordance with those views. To include discriminating in who you conduct business with.
    Nope. You are simply wrong. Sorry.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  5. #165
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    The sad thing about your argument is that no one at any point could cite a Bible verse to support their belief that black people were inferior to whites. However, there are many Bible verses that state that homosexuality is wrong. That's the difference and that's where people such as these bakery owners have ground to stand on. Comparing racial discrimination against this is apples to oranges IMO.
    What are you talking about? The Bible is FULL of instances of people treating other people as being "inferior" to them. Regardless, our Constitution is not founded on what the Bible says...so whatever "Ground" you claim that the bigots have to stand on is "groundless."
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  6. #166
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    1. Dude, you are the one arguing the case from that side, not me... so either stick to your side or cave if you are unwilling to stand by your arguments.

    2. I posit that the Colorado law is unconstitutional in this instance... I am in no manner required to trust in what some liberal Colorado judge decides, especially when it goes directly in contradiction to one of our original and guaranteed rights. If those in Colorado want to amend the US Constitution... well, they will just have to go about it in the prescribed manners. Until then their laws in this area are total bunkum.

    3. See 2 above

    4. See 2 above

    5. See 2 above.

    Listen, don't know if you have really thought this out at all, but whether you like it or not this is going to be at the expense of one side or the other. There is no win win... and it appears you want gay rights to win over all others. Religious rights trump, sorry, they just do. Now, if this were the only baker in Colorado, maybe we could have an actual debate over the matter... but to sue to force these folks to go against their stated religious principles is a complete travesty and, I would suspect, an agenda driven move to intimidate others.

    Did I ever ask the "religious beliefs of the customers"? What would be the relevance of that, exactly? They can pick and choose who they want to based on whatever their criteria might be... as long as who they choose accepts their commission to bake this special cake. If their religious beliefs don't match, they go someplace else. They would not in any way be forced to get their cake from that bakery or any other. Right? Apples and oranges.

    Listen, I hope you don't charge for your consults, because you would owe me at this point...and perhaps have a malpractice suit. What it should have revealed is that I, as have others, have had just about enough with government telling me what I they think I MUST believe, by force of law. Your pop psychology assessment, tho, does tell us a lot about you. In the end, I think I would say take your juvenile pablum, that you might actually be able to persuade others as mimicking actual intelligence, elsewhere please... I am in no need such libertarian pseudo-psychological analysis.

    What a laugh there guy, do you actually read what you write?

    .
    Thank you for proving my point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  7. #167
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    What are you talking about? The Bible is FULL of instances of people treating other people as being "inferior" to them. Regardless, our Constitution is not founded on what the Bible says...so whatever "Ground" you claim that the bigots have to stand on is "groundless."
    Okay bro. Cite the verse where it is stated that black people are inferior to white people. I'll wait.....
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  8. #168
    Educator Soupnazi630's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    11-08-14 @ 09:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    855

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Sorry...but you couldn't be more wrong. Which is exactly why this court ruled the way it did...and more and more courts are striking down bigotry.

    As far as the teachings of Christ...I know more than you would seem to believe. I have studied the life of Jesus Christ extensively and I know his teachings well. One of the main teachings of Jesus Christ stands completely opposed to the actions of this Baker and the other bigots who would follow his path. "Inasmuch as ye have done it onto one of the least of these, my bretheren, you have done it unto me". This Baker should try to be more "Christlike" and less whatever the word "Christian" means these days.
    The courts and the constitution are two different things. Legislating from thebench is one person dictating to others without regard to constitional law. This is a problem In this country we need to stop.

    I notice you never provided a quote from the constitution which forbids private business from discriminating. This is because you cannot because it does not.

    The court did not strike down bigotry the baker is still a bigot.

    Your quote from the bible rests on a presumption that everyone to include these two gay men are christs brethren. Thats why it doesnot apply to this argument.

    You should be more christ like as well and stand against people using the courts as a bludgeon to force someone to do what they wish.

  9. #169
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Okay bro. Cite the verse where it is stated that black people are inferior to white people. I'll wait.....
    I didn't say that....I said that the Bible is full of instances in which people treat other people as inferior to them.....going all the way back to Exodus......
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  10. #170
    Educator Soupnazi630's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    11-08-14 @ 09:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    855

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    What are you talking about? The Bible is FULL of instances of people treating other people as being "inferior" to them. Regardless, our Constitution is not founded on what the Bible says...so whatever "Ground" you claim that the bigots have to stand on is "groundless."
    I believe his post stated the biblemakes no mention of black people being inferior that is much more specific than your response.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •