Page 169 of 173 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169170171 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,690 of 1723

Thread: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647]

  1. #1681
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTrumps View Post
    the problem with your argument is that if you use it to defend one group you have to use it to defend ALL groups. Meaning, Winston, if a bakery had owners who were black and refused to bake something for a KKK rally then(following the logic of your argument) you would have to defend the KKK group's right to be served. After all, the bakery is getting PAID, isn't it?
    Absolutely....they would have to bake a cake.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  2. #1682
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by dolphinocean View Post
    It shows that the baker was willing to serve the gay people, even those having the gay wedding, just not be compelled against his religious belief to provide something against his religious principle, which by the way is protected by the Constitution.
    No, the fact that baker would have sold cupcakes to the individuals seeking a wedding cake is irrelevant as you just showed yourself. You just varified that the baker did not provide full and equal access to the businesses goods and services as required by the law.

    (2) It is a discriminatory practice and unlawful for a person, directly or indirectly, to refuse, withhold from, or deny to an individual or a group, because of disability, race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, or ancestry, the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations of a place of public accommodation

    The baker denied via an unlawful act equal and full access to their goods and services.

    Quote Originally Posted by dolphinocean View Post
    When there is a conflict between State or Federal laws versus the Constitution, you should know which one should give way, right?
    Yep the Constitution. However Public Accommodation laws have never been found unconstitutional. As a matter of fact they have been challenged all the way to the Supreme Court of the United States and found Constitutional.

    Quote Originally Posted by dolphinocean View Post
    And yet in this case, the baker did not discriminate against the whole class of gay people...
    The illegal act performed was against that same sex couple, the "whole class of gay people" doesn't factor into the case at all. The baker denied full and equal treatement to that couple because of their sexual orientation.

    Quote Originally Posted by dolphinocean View Post
    Now, regarding the judge, he didn't just err in his decision. He violated the baker's Constitutional right to exercise his religious belief as protected by the Constitution when he compelled the baker to bake the wedding cake for the gay wedding.
    He was an Adminstrative Judge at a hearing not a State Civil or Criminal Judge, he is not allowed to rule a law is unconstitutional.

    His ruling now goes to the State Director that overseas illegal discrimination conducted by business, if the Director rejects the Judges opinion - he can dismiss the case. On the other hand if he accepts the Judges opinion - then the injunction will be in place against continued unlawful discrimination. The next step after the Directors ruling then is for the Baker to challenge the decision in regular court. Success there is highly unlikely as we've seen in other state courts (i.e. Elane Photography) and at the Supreme Court (Heart of Atlanta Motel v. United States) that Public Accommodation laws have been upheld as a valid exercise of regulation of commerce.

    Quote Originally Posted by dolphinocean View Post
    I'm not going to read any further of your post just to re-harsh to death the same old same old. What I have just stated above is more than enough to refute your argument on this case. And I'll leave it at that even if you won't.
    You haven't refuted anything. You made claims about how "it's unconstitutional" for Public Accommodation laws to regulate business practices of businesses but have not cited even one case where a Public Accommodation law was overturned in any court. You have not argued the law as it's written, you have not whown where anything in the Judges ruling was incorrect.

    I disagree with the premise of the law and if given the option would vote against it just like Goldwater Voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1964 because of the inclusion of Federal Public Accommodation in that act. My opinion though of what the law should be is different then discussing what the law actually is.

    It might help if you learned the difference yourself.


    >>>>

  3. #1683
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,175

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Where in Christianity does it say "Thou needst not bake a big cake for a gay wedding, but cupcakes are OK?
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  4. #1684
    Professor
    Phil_Osophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    11-11-14 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    Where in Christianity does it say "Thou needst not bake a big cake for a gay wedding, but cupcakes are OK?
    Where in any religion does it say that you are entitled to other peoples businesses?

  5. #1685
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Osophy View Post
    Where in any religion does it say that you are entitled to other peoples businesses?
    There is one key distinction =Nobody is using religion as the basis to make that argument...whereas the bigot baker IS trying to use religion as the basis to promote his bigotry.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  6. #1686
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Absolutely....they would have to bake a cake.
    yet the judge did not rule it had to be perfect, if I were that baker it would not be either, it might even be late

  7. #1687
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    yet the judge did not rule it had to be perfect, if I were that baker it would not be either, it might even be late
    And you risk even further lawsuits and consequences as a result of continuing to discriminate based on your bigotry. Yea.....good luck with that one.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  8. #1688
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    And you risk even further lawsuits and consequences as a result of continuing to discriminate based on your bigotry. Yea.....good luck with that one.
    cakes turn out bad all the time, guess you aren't familiar with the kitchen

  9. #1689
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    cakes turn out bad all the time, guess you aren't familiar with the kitchen
    absolutely...but bigotry patterns can be traced. Its really not that difficult.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  10. #1690
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    absolutely...but bigotry patterns can be traced. Its really not that difficult.
    OMG the cake did not turn out well, that is bigotry

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •