Page 157 of 173 FirstFirst ... 57107147155156157158159167 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,570 of 1723

Thread: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647]

  1. #1561
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Just trying to be crystal clear... well, then you are 100% wrong. Nothing more to discuss really.

    You are for discrimination.

    That is truly sad to hear.
    I am not for discrimination. Never claimed I would support it, in fact several times in this thread I specifically stated I would not.

    You have any other nuggets of dishonest argument you want to make to try to deflect from an actual debate?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #1562
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by dolphinocean View Post
    Asking a baker to frost an image of mohammed is no difference to asking him to bake an image of Santa Claus or anything. There's no law that says others. You are just being contra.
    You are completely missing the point, which is why your analogies are so bad and completely off point. No one in this case is asking the baker to bake a product that they don't otherwise bake in the course of their business. The issue isn't asking him to bake something different, the issue is whether he has a right to refuse service of a product that he otherwise normally provides, to customers that he doesn't like. The Court said no.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  3. #1563
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,957

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I am not for discrimination. Never claimed I would support it, in fact several times in this thread I specifically stated I would not.

    You have any other nuggets of dishonest argument you want to make to try to deflect from an actual debate?
    You have specifically stated in this thread numerous times that you do support a business's right to discriminate. WTF are you talking about!

    If you are for a business's right to discriminate against people then you are for discrimination. There really is no way around that fact. Throw out all the disclaimers you like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  4. #1564
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,957

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    You are completely missing the point, which is why your analogies are so bad and completely off point. No one in this case is asking the baker to bake a product that they don't otherwise bake in the course of their business. The issue isn't asking him to bake something different, the issue is whether he has a right to refuse service of a product that he otherwise normally provides, to customers that he doesn't like. The Court said no.
    He doesn't get analogies... as you and I are both finding out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  5. #1565
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    You have specifically stated in this thread numerous times that you do support a business's right to discriminate. WTF are you talking about!

    If you are for a business's right to discriminate against people then you are for discrimination. There really is no way around that fact. Throw out all the disclaimers you like.
    No, that's not true in the least. That is not fact. Quit making idiotic arguments. I am against the use of government force against the individuals' property and labor, I have most certainly argued for consumer force instead. Saying that government force is inappropriate against an act is not endorsement of the act. And this is where you fail.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #1566
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Volunteer State
    Last Seen
    10-17-16 @ 03:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,138
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    No it isn't at all. It would be more akin to a muslim caterer refusing service of a product that he normally produces every day to a non-muslim custom, simply because they aren't muslim. Your analogy is completely off-base. Nobody is asking this baker to bake anything other than that which he normally produces in the course of business.
    Another point I wanted to address but had to leave for a while, you said: "Nobody is asking this baker to bake anything other than that which he normally produces in the course of business."

    But, the gay customers and the judge did. What the baker in question normally produces in the course of business is wedding cakes for heterosexual weddings and not gay weddings.

  7. #1567
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,957

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    No, that's not true in the least. That is not fact. Quit making idiotic arguments. I am against the use of government force against the individuals' property and labor, I have most certainly argued for consumer force instead. Saying that government force is inappropriate against an act is not endorsement of the act. And this is where you fail.
    All that does is ignore discrimination and say, "hey, I don't support it. If others don't shut the business down with their wallets then at least I tried". There are areas where people will be discriminated against. I then guess you expect people to move away? All the minority blacks in the South are screwed? No, this is where your logic fails.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  8. #1568
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    All that does is ignore discrimination and say, "hey, I don't support it. If others don't shut the business down with their wallets then at least I tried". There are areas where people will be discriminated against. I then guess you expect people to move away? All the minority blacks in the South are screwed? No, this is where your logic fails.
    It in fact does not ignore discrimination. I can't force other people to spend their money in ways I feel fit, but I can certainly assemble, protest, and boycott; raise awareness and consumer action. The fact is that without these laws, even in the south, race specific businesses would be exceptionally limited.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #1569
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,957

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by dolphinocean View Post
    Another point I wanted to address but had to leave for a while, you said: "Nobody is asking this baker to bake anything other than that which he normally produces in the course of business."

    But, the gay customers and the judge did. What the baker in question normally produces in the course of business is wedding cake for heterosexual couples and not gay wedding.
    So if a black couple came in and the baker had never made a wedding cake for blacks because none lived in the are you feel it is perfectly acceptable for the baker to say, "hey, I only bake "wedding cakes for white people"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  10. #1570
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,957

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It in fact does not ignore discrimination. I can't force other people to spend their money in ways I feel fit, but I can certainly assemble, protest, and boycott; raise awareness and consumer action. The fact is that without these laws, even in the south, race specific businesses would be exceptionally limited.
    Before the laws? Rampant discrimination and no consequences.
    After the laws? Extremely low levels of discrimination with pretty severe consequences.

    No... it really does ignore discrimination.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •