Page 155 of 173 FirstFirst ... 55105145153154155156157165 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,550 of 1723

Thread: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647]

  1. #1541
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by dolphinocean View Post
    Then what did you say?
    What I said was very clear. Businesses are not required to provide goods and services they don't normally supply. This business normally supplied wedding cakes. Under the law they are required to sell them in a non-discriminatory manner.

    The Muslim caterer who routinely supplies only Halal compliant goods, is not required to go out and supply non-Halal items (such as pork). However if the Muslim caterer DOES normally supply port products, then they cannot refuse to sell them to a customer based on the customers disability, race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, or ancestry per Colorado law.

    Quote Originally Posted by dolphinocean View Post
    Is refusing to bake a wedding cake a discrimination against your disability, race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, or ancestry according to your so-called "Public Accommodation law"?
    It's not "my so-called 'Public Accommodation Law'", it is the Colorado Statute 24-34-601 on the subject.


    >>>>
    Last edited by WorldWatcher; 12-11-13 at 06:54 PM.

  2. #1542
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Volunteer State
    Last Seen
    10-17-16 @ 03:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,138
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    When the bakery advertizes and sells wedding cakes then refuses to sell it/them to customers who are gay because they they are getting married, that would be discrimination based on sexual orientation.

    And it's not "my so-called 'Public Accommodation Law'", it is the Colorado Statute 24-34-601 on the subject.


    >>>>
    So, if I'm a professional photographer or artist who advertises and sells my service of taking or painting portraits of beautiful bodies of gorgeous young ladies, am I required by law to serve the gay customers and go to the gay nude beach to take pictures or paint portraits of their naked bodies?

    Do you see the problem with this law by your interpretation?

  3. #1543
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Volunteer State
    Last Seen
    10-17-16 @ 03:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,138
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    What I said was very clear. Businesses are not required to provide goods and services they don't normally supply. This business normally supplied wedding cakes. Under the law they are required to sell them in a non-discriminatory manner.

    The Muslim caterer who routinely supplies only Halal compliant goods, is not required to go out and supply non-Halal items (such as pork). However if the Muslim caterer DOES normally supply port products, then they cannot refuse to sell them to a customer based on the customers disability, race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, or ancestry per Colorado law.



    It's not "my so-called 'Public Accommodation Law'", it is the Colorado Statute 24-34-601 on the subject.


    >>>>
    What about forcing a muslim baker to frost a mohammad caricature on the cake? Is it a discrimination on race, religion or what not if non-complaint due to his islamic religious prohibition?

  4. #1544
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:46 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,112

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by dolphinocean View Post
    So, if I'm a professional photographer or artist who advertises and sells my service of taking or painting portraits of beautiful bodies of gorgeous young ladies, am I required by law to serve the gay customers and go to the gay nude beach to take pictures or paint portraits of their naked bodies?

    Do you see the problem with this law by your interpretation?
    You have changed the argument. If you are a professional photographer or artist who advertises and sells my service of taking or painting portraits of beautiful bodies of gorgeous young ladies then you are required by law to serve the ANY FEMALE customer that wants your service of taking or painting portraits of beautiful bodies of gorgeous young ladies be she white, black or lesbian.

    Where you get that all of a sudden the photographer has to take nude pictures is beyond illogical.

    What about forcing a muslim baker to frost a mohammad caricature on the cake? Is it a discrimination on race, religion or what not if non-complaint due to his islamic religious prohibition?
    How does this scenario even makes sense? If he makes religious cakes then he has to make other religious cakes. If a Muslim baker makes religious cakes of Jesus or Moses then he would be required to make one of Mohammed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  5. #1545
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I never said it was public property. I said it was a business open to the public. Once you open it to the public then you have to abide by public policies... Do you think that restaurants should be able to deny black people, or gays, the right to dine there as well?
    Why do you people keep thinking this is some secret catch.

    Private is private, a private business can deny its business to anyone, you have no right to another man's property or labor. Instead of government force, you need to employ intelligent consumerism to elicit the necessary changes in local business.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #1546
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    But it's not going to happen because too many Americans want to see the USA go forwards, not backwards.
    Then you don't need the rules. If so many of you want "the USA to go forward" you do not need to point the guns of government and the private property holder. You have enough consumer force to make the changes without resorting to force of government. So thanks for agreeing with me. Hahahaha
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #1547
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Volunteer State
    Last Seen
    10-17-16 @ 03:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,138
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    You have changed the argument. If you are a professional photographer or artist who advertises and sells my service of taking or painting portraits of beautiful bodies of gorgeous young ladies then you are required by law to serve the ANY FEMALE customer that wants your service of taking or painting portraits of beautiful bodies of gorgeous young ladies be she white, black or lesbian.

    Where you get that all of a sudden the photographer has to take nude pictures is beyond illogical.



    How does this scenario even makes sense? If he makes religious cakes then he has to make other religious cakes. If a Muslim baker makes religious cakes of Jesus or Moses then he would be required to make one of Mohammed.
    No, I did not change the argument. You refused to concede the point.

    Where did I even state about NOT "to serve the ANY FEMALE customer that wants your service of taking or painting portraits of beautiful bodies of gorgeous young ladies be she white, black or lesbian"?

    And where did I state that the muslim baker only baked religious cakes?

    You said, the muslim baker is "required to make one of Mohammed". Do you know what this is going to cause world wide? Isamic bloodbath.
    Last edited by dolphinocean; 12-11-13 at 07:24 PM.

  8. #1548
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by dolphinocean View Post
    So, if I'm a professional photographer or artist who advertises and sells my service of taking or painting portraits of beautiful bodies of gorgeous young ladies, am I required by law to serve the gay customers and go to the gay nude beach to take pictures or paint portraits of their naked bodies?

    Do you see the problem with this law by your interpretation?
    Depends.

    If you either get volunteers or hire models to go to the beach and take their pictures, then sell them. Nope.

    However if you advertize that you take naked pictures on the beach under contract. Probably.

    If you don't advertize, don't list it as one of the available portrait settings, and don't routinely supply such work. Nope.

    Quote Originally Posted by dolphinocean View Post
    Do you see the problem with this law by your interpretation?

    It's not "my interpretation", it the way the law is written and the judges decision based on the law passed by the Colorado Legislature.

    Please stop trying to make this about me.

    Quote Originally Posted by dolphinocean View Post
    What about forcing a muslim baker to frost a mohammad caricature on the cake? Is it a discrimination on race, religion or what not if non-complaint due to his islamic religious prohibition?
    Don't now. However I think there would be a good case to be made that such a baker does not provide offensive decorations in general an therefore wouldn't be required to do such a cake.

    You can "What if" all day long. In the case which is the subject of this thread the baker refused to provide equal access to standard good and services that he did supply - in this case a wedding cake.


    A similar case (i.e. someone claiming "artistic" exemption) was Elane Photography v. Willcock from the New Mexico Supreme court, this may help you -->> http://www.nmcompcomm.us/nmcases/nms...s/SC33,687.pdf


    >>>>

  9. #1549
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by dolphinocean View Post
    It's just like trying to force a muslim caterer by judicial fiat to cook a non-muslim customer a pork sausage on demand. It's outrageous. If the judge can't discern the basic fact nor understand the basic principle, he's not fit to be sitting on the bench.
    No it isn't at all. It would be more akin to a muslim caterer refusing service of a product that he normally produces every day to a non-muslim custom, simply because they aren't muslim. Your analogy is completely off-base. Nobody is asking this baker to bake anything other than that which he normally produces in the course of business.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  10. #1550
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    No it isn't at all. It would be more akin to a muslim caterer refusing service of a product that he normally produces every day to a non-muslim custom, simply because they aren't muslim. Your analogy is completely off-base. Nobody is asking this baker to bake anything other than that which he normally produces in the course of business.
    And nobody is entitled to what that baker bakes.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •