Page 149 of 173 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,490 of 1723

Thread: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647]

  1. #1481
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    really? can you back up that lie you just posted?
    ill never post again if you can back up the lie you just posted, please factually quote me saying that this is about the blacks in the 50s. we would love to read it.

    Facts defeat your post again (im gonna have to put this fact in my sig if i keep replying to the same posts)
    So the photos of restaurants in the 50's are FACTS relating to the FACTS in this case? This is getting quite strange!

  2. #1482
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,787

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    really? can you back up that lie you just posted?
    ill never post again if you can back up the lie you just posted, please factually quote me saying that this is about the blacks in the 50s. we would love to read it.

    Facts defeat your post again (im gonna have to put this fact in my sig if i keep replying to the same posts)
    Heh, "Denial, it's not just a river in Egypt" (it's really only deserving of a cliche.) Some cannot think outside certain limits....like how discrimination crosses boundaries of time, individual status, large and small act, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    A piece of pie in a restaurant is not cake either. Pie isnt a right, is it? But it is a parallel claim of discrimination.

    Denying Jews entrance to the beach on a private lake isnt a piece of cake either. Swimming isnt a right, is it? But it is a parallel claim of discrimination.

    Denying a woman a job welding in a private company isnt a piece of cake either. Welding isnt a right. But it is a parallel claim of discrimination.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    When Rosa Parks was arrested for not taking a seat in the back of the bus....was it about a bus ride?

    When blacks had to use separate seating sections in theaters with whites....was it about crappier seats?

    When employment signs at a cigar store said, "No Jews and no Irish need apply"... was it about selling tobacco?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #1483
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,787

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    So the photos of restaurants in the 50's are FACTS relating to the FACTS in this case? This is getting quite strange!
    LOL Agent J didnt post any pictures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #1484
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,081

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    ????

    Anyway, are you saying that a 'religious' moral objection is more important or has more legal standing than any other type of moral objection? That something can only be an abomination for a religious person? Are you specfiying Christians?

    The point is....the bakery owner objected based on his moral objections...it was religious based. Religious or not, there are people that have moral objections against gays and *they may not discriminate against them based on that.*

    (And I'm a Christian and didnt see anything insulting towards my religion in my post.)
    Well, I am trying to make the distinction that issue of gay marriage is different than being black (and, for clarity, the issue of gay marriage is different than being gay). I am trying to say there is a legitimate moral component to this that deserves some respect... this is not simply a matter of the baker being ignorant and bigoted. The baker has some basis for his position his position here... and what we are dealing with is a conflict between civil law and moral law. I am trying to raise the intellectual bar here, which to this point seems to want to dismiss the guy as bigot, similar to those that stood against blacks at the University of Alabama (etc.).... I am trying to say this has a different dimension to it....

  5. #1485
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,789

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    1.)So the photos of restaurants in the 50's are FACTS relating to the FACTS in this case?
    2.)This is getting quite strange!
    translation: you got nothing
    1.) FYI i dindt post any photos
    2.) no its normal for your post to get destroyed by facts

    FACTS defeat your post again

    let us know when you have and facts that support the lie you posted and when you can factually quote me saying what you falsely claimed i did
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #1486
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,789

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Heh, "Denial, it's not just a river in Egypt" (it's really only deserving of a cliche.) Some cannot think outside certain limits....like how discrimination crosses boundaries of time, individual status, large and small act, etc.
    no biggie its always entertaining to see posts lose to facts over and over again and the fact remains your post was accurate and true.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #1487
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,789

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    LOL Agent J didnt post any pictures.
    there you go again using facts, you silly goose you
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #1488
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,789

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Well, I am trying to make the distinction that issue of gay marriage is different than being black (and, for clarity, the issue of gay marriage is different than being gay).

    1.) I am trying to say there is a legitimate moral component to this that deserves some respect...
    2.) this is not simply a matter of the baker being ignorant and bigoted.
    3.) The baker has some basis for his position his position here... and what we are dealing with is a conflict between civil law and moral law.

    4.) I am trying to raise the intellectual bar here,
    5.) which to this point seems to want to dismiss the guy as bigot, similar to those that stood against blacks at the University of Alabama (etc.).... I am trying to say this has a different dimension to it....
    1.) based on what facts? who determines it deserves respect and it should trump individual freedoms. rights and law? and why not when religion is used against minorities, women, others religion and other things? why just this?
    2.) since he knowingly broke the laws and made himself a criminal i disagree also since he treated people as lessers id say thats bigoted
    3.) read 1 again and subjective moral law is meaningless to civil/legal and equal rights
    4.) cant do that when you are ignoring facts and being hypocritical claiming THIS has logic but other cases where religion is used does not and you cant answer why
    5.) it doesnt have a different dimension that you have shown yet, if you can show one ill totally agree
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #1489
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,787

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Well, I am trying to make the distinction that issue of gay marriage is different than being black (and, for clarity, the issue of gay marriage is different than being gay). I am trying to say there is a legitimate moral component to this that deserves some respect... this is not simply a matter of the baker being ignorant and bigoted. The baker has some basis for his position his position here... and what we are dealing with is a conflict between civil law and moral law. I am trying to raise the intellectual bar here, which to this point seems to want to dismiss the guy as bigot, similar to those that stood against blacks at the University of Alabama (etc.).... I am trying to say this has a different dimension to it....
    I am not one of the people crowing he's a bigot. I understand where it conflicts with his moral beliefs.

    What you dont seem to understand is that it is still of the same importance, legally, as when anyone was discriminated against in the past. No more, but also no less. Just because you or the baker dont value the gay's rights, the GOVT recognizes those rights as the same. Morality is a judgement that you, the baker, and anyone else is allowed to make. But when it comes to a protected class, ALL are still to be treated the same.

    So even if it is a 'legitimate moral component,' it doesnt comply with the laws of the state or the business license he signed. (And again....many people felt justified in their 'moral objections' to blacks...and how does that look to (most of) us now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    IThat was not about slavery AT ALL. It was about how black people were treated in American society. They had separate laws....were treated like 2nd class citizens, they were not served in the same businesses or in the same manner as white Americans. They were discriminated against based on their race.

    As shown by the OP, this is now a very similar issue to that which gays are fighting. They are being discriminated against because of their sexual orientation.

    You may disagree that sexual orientation isnt deserving of being a protected class but there is no way to avoid the FACT that it is indeed a civil rights issue.

    Edit: Blacks werent owed their civil rights because of slavery. They deserved their civil rights because they deserved to be treated EQUALLY.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #1490
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    It's a disingenuous argument to say the least. Yes I know the baker catered to the entire community all sorts of cakes/confections, just not gay wedding cakes due to religious convictions. Did you catch my post about the proposed legislation that will protect the rights of people like the baker and it has support from BOTH parties!
    No, i missed it but I'll check it out. It's legislation that is definitely required so that is good news.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •