Page 145 of 173 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 1723

Thread: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647]

  1. #1441
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    So is it safe to say that your views on discrimination are subjective, as opposed to absolute?

    For instance, forcing a baker to bake a cake for a gay wedding is okay...what if some skinhead wanted 6 dozen fresh cookies shaped like swastikas for the annual Mississippi White Power Festival? Is that okay?
    It's based on the state or federal protected classes. Would the skinhead cookies fall under any of them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #1442
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    It's based on the state or federal protected classes. Would the skinhead cookies fall under any of them?
    Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm a straight white male. I have no rights.

  3. #1443
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:46 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,062

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncensored2008 View Post
    Bovine feces.

    The baker was ORDERED to make wedding cakes for gay couples.
    No he didn't order them to make a cake... it said:

    A Colorado judge says a baker who refused to make a wedding cake for a same-sex ceremony must serve gay couples

    He can not make them a cake and close his doors. IF he wants to stay in business he must serve all people equally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  4. #1444
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,910

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm a straight white male. I have no rights.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  5. #1445
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm a straight white male. I have no rights.
    You didnt answer my question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #1446
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    They are not at all equivalent, even though many want to make them out to be. Unlike the issue at hand, you would find no support for being black being an "abomination". Being black is not considered a moral issue. The Bible is reasonably explicit about homosexual acts.. (though, it make no mention of homosexual marriage, which was not an issue 1800 to 3500 years ago)... Now, many have interpreted the Bible inclusions in a variety of ways, including self serving ways. One of the mainstream interpretations, however, is that homosexuality and, by extension, homosexual marriage is morally wrong.

    Ummm...

    In the 60's and 70's you damn sure straight would have found many that argued that equal treatment of blacks was a "moral issue". As a matter of fact one of the rulings that Loving v. Virginia overturned cited Biblical justification for upholding anti-miscegenation laws.

    Then of course we have, just as one, the Constitution of the State of Alabama which included language barring interracial marriage (one of the states that had their laws overturn by loving in 1967). In 2000 Alabama finally got around to removing the language (BTW - Just because a law is struck down as unconstitutional does not mean the text of the law is removed, that still requires legislative or constitutional action), the sad part is that 41% of the vote was to keep the language.


    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    My point, so I am clear, is I believe the shop owner has a very defensible position. I believe the courts should have respected his moral convictions here. Again, we have an issue where civil law encroaches on moral law. (God's law).
    While of course each of us has our own opinion, historical precedence doesn't lead one to believe that the Courts would rule that a law of general applicability warrants special privileges just because one object to complying with the law.

    As Justice Scalia wrong (somone not known for being a liberal leaning judge) in Employment Divisiion v. Smith:

    We have never held that an individual's religious beliefs [p879] excuse him from compliance with an otherwise valid law prohibiting conduct that the State is free to regulate. On the contrary, the record of more than a century of our free exercise jurisprudence contradicts that proposition. As described succinctly by Justice Frankfurter in Minersville School Dist. Bd. of Educ. v. Gobitis, 310 U.S. 586, 594-595 (1940):

    Conscientious scruples have not, in the course of the long struggle for religious toleration, relieved the individual from obedience to a general law not aimed at the promotion or restriction of religious beliefs. The mere possession of religious convictions which contradict the relevant concerns of a political society does not relieve the citizen from the discharge of political responsibilities.


    >>>>

  7. #1447
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:46 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,062

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    DING DING DING DING correct


    the owner wasnt even fined he was just given a cease and desist order to stop breaking the law and conducting illegal discrimination.
    I don't understand the people defending discrimination. Some of the people doing so on this thread are surprising me, to be honest. I doubt that they are bigots. I just think that they think they have some zinger case.... but it is stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  8. #1448
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Am I wrong? Gays get denied cake and it's a huge deal. What if a black barber refuses to give me a haircut? That's okay because I'm some "white privilege prick", right?

  9. #1449
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    You didnt answer my question.
    Yes I did. I mocked your desire to let Washington pick winners and losers in the "equal rights" game.

  10. #1450
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,827

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    1.)You are confusing religion, an institution of man, and the Bible. They are not same thing.
    2.) I am not trying to tell you that people did not hide behind the church or their warped view of God as those issues were fought. This is not about the history of man nor the history of the church... this is about what the Living Word actually says. Again, the Bible is pretty explicit about homosexual behavior. No where in the Bible does it tell you that being black is an abomination. Homosexuality is a moral issue; being black is not.

    3.) Since you do not know what the Bible on the subject, this is lost on you.

    4.) My point is that the court should respect mainstream moral conviction that has strong Biblical foundation
    5.) (the guy has a reasonable moral basis to believe what he does.. and therefore, the courts are trampling on his moral convictions... particularly when asking for specific performance ... making him bake the cake).
    1.) no im not i simply pointing out factual history. You or me "disagreeing" with how people viewed, practiced or used their religion doesnt change history
    2.) and this is the point who says they were hiding? who gets to determine that fact? i may agree with you but what im asking is how do our opinions make it fact? what about morons before 1976 i think it was? what about religion in general view women as lesser? what about infidels? etc etc Heck i could start a religion tomorrow and put in my bible "upsideguy" is the devil, its my religion so i should have the right to treat you as a lesser cause its in my bible and my religion right?

    sorry that doesnt work, as a christian i see this guy as a complete moron and idiot who had horrible foresite and IMO its an excuse a cloak to hide behind.

    theres nothing about me making a cake and selling my cake the bible condemns thats stupid but regardless even if it did my religion doesnt allow me to break the law and infringe on the rights of others.

    3.) lol i know the bible thanks and nothing is lost on me, nice deflection though. i just understand the fact that you trying to seperate them is a factual failure as per the examples i provided and per how the law and rights work.

    4.) they do

    5.) his moral convictions were not trampled on thats a complete crock lol and they are meaningless to law and legal/civil/equal rights
    also they did not make him back the cake

    let me know what you have for my examples, you are just making things up to give false logic and that logic doesnt pan out to facts, reality, laws and rights. Thank you for your answer.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •