Page 144 of 173 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145146154 ... LastLast
Results 1,431 to 1,440 of 1723

Thread: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647]

  1. #1431
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Out of curiosity - your view on Affirmative Action?

    I just wanted to gauge your opinion on discrimination laws as well as anti-discrimination laws.
    I didnt want to go there in this thread. I supported it for the same reasons I discussed for anti-discrimination laws however I think it has achieved it's goals (as much as it ever will) and it's time to wrap it up. I also dont like the idea of that, but again....see the greater societal good for the targeted groups AND society in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #1432
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Actually, I don't think you understand the issue... its not a black v white discrimination; it was an offense to the shop owners moral sensibilities, similar to abortion.

    Now, I certainly appreciate the civil law aspect to this. It is, in fact, a civil law conflict with moral law. What is somewhat reprehensible are posters that do not understand this. It is nothing at all like discrimination based upon race, color, creed, sex or national origin. It is a discrimination based upon a criteria that mainstream religions find morally wrong.

    This was not a simple sale of goods. It was a matter of specific artistic performance; they asked the baker to apply his artistic skills to create something to celebrate something he found abhorrent. Its not that he found this abhorrent because of some sort of unsubstantiated personal bigotry, but because of a moral conviction based upon the Bible, a book a significant group of American's believe is the moral law (and many believe trumps civil law).

    The closest controversy we have to this is abortion. The only thing wrong with my abortion analogy, however, is that abortion doctors chose to be in the profession. That said, there are OB/GYN's that will not perform abortions under any circumstance based upon moral conviction.

    I can appreciate the civil side of this argument. The intellectually honest need to appreciate the moral side of this as well. It is an interesting case.

    So if the shop owner says that providing services to blacks and claims it violates their moral sensibilities, you think there would be the same call for special privileges to be applied?


    >>>>

  3. #1433
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,488

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Yeah, I know that individual freedom is an enemy to you, since you so easily toss around words like "compel" and "force".
    No, I just don't believe "freedom" to be the nebulous and boundless concept that Libertarians seem to hold. Freedom cannot be separated from the obligation to use it responsibly and, generally speaking, it ends when it threatens the freedom of others. As I said, there is no First Amendment right to violate the Fourteenth Amendment and I have no problem with the government enforcing law to that effect. What you conceptualize as freedom is about as useful and beneficial to society as the Reign of Terror was to France; mob rule with no mechanism to thwart tyranny of the majority.

  4. #1434
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I didnt want to go there in this thread. I supported it for the same reasons I discussed for anti-discrimination laws however I think it has achieved it's goals (as much as it ever will) and it's time to wrap it up. I also dont like the idea of that, but again....see the greater societal good for the targeted groups AND society in general.
    So is it safe to say that your views on discrimination are subjective, as opposed to absolute?

    For instance, forcing a baker to bake a cake for a gay wedding is okay...what if some skinhead wanted 6 dozen fresh cookies shaped like swastikas for the annual Mississippi White Power Festival? Is that okay?

  5. #1435
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    You don't inspire change by force. You're no better than prostelyzing Christians that you hate.

    So we can assume that you disagree with those who used government to ban marriage equality in their state constitutions a decade ago?



    >>>>

  6. #1436
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,129

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    you really need to read up on history, your statements are factually wrong about religion being used to view minorities as lessers, it also applies to women too.

    are you just claiming that YOUR personally dont see the relation because you feel their arguments of religion and woman cant be justified and were stupid to you? but you feel it can be justified against sexual orientation.

    i dont understand how you separate them at all, when the reality is they are the same please explain

    also moral convictions are meaningless when they break the law and infring on legal/civil/equal rights
    You are confusing religion, an institution of man, with the Bible. They are not same thing. I am not trying to tell you that people did not hide behind the church or their warped view of God as those issues were fought. This is not about the history of man nor the history of the church... this is about what the Living Word actually says. Again, the Bible is pretty explicit about homosexual behavior. No where in the Bible does it tell you that being black is an abomination, but it says such about homosexual behavior many times. Homosexuality is a moral issue; being black is not. Since you do not know what the Bible says on the subject, this is lost on you.

    My point is that the court should respect mainstream moral conviction that has strong Biblical foundation (the guy has a reasonable moral basis to believe what he does.. and therefore, the courts are trampling on his moral convictions... particularly when asking for specific performance ... making him bake the cake). If the Holy Bible flat out said that homosexual marriage is against the will of God (a verse in its own)... would you concede his moral basis? If so, then it simply becomes an issue of how explicit? If you would not concede his moral basis, then... God help ya.

    US law generally respects legitimate moral convictions and often allows latitude to full variance of the civil law when it conflicts with moral conviction (the draft being one such example).
    Last edited by upsideguy; 12-10-13 at 10:18 PM.

  7. #1437
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    OK... now we have to resort in insult and insolence. There goes the adult discussion.

    So, apparently you are not very well educated on the Bible or you would get what I am talking about. Yes, there are many (uneducated in the Bible) that use it to support their warped views of the world. I understand that, but this argument is not about that. Its about having a world view based upon the Bible rather than a worldview that you try to justify by the Bible.

    That said, I dare you to find a substantive biblical defense for bigotry towards blacks. While you will find no references to God or his prophets declaring the black man an abomination, you can rather easily find such references about homosexual behavior. Now, I could appreciate various interpretations of this; I certainly respect the interpretation that the owner of the Masterpiece Cake (which, by the way is about 200 yards from my office) had on this....

    In this, I am not personally making any moral judgments about gays; nor would I do the same thing as this gentlemen. For the record, I have openly gay friends, clients and employees. This is not my personal worldview. However, as a strong Christian, I absolutely understand (and support) this guy's convictions.
    ????

    Anyway, are you saying that a 'religious' moral objection is more important or has more legal standing than any other type of moral objection? That something can only be an abomination for a religious person? Are you specfiying Christians?

    The point is....the bakery owner objected based on his moral objections...it was religious based. Religious or not, there are people that have moral objections against gays and *they may not discriminate against them based on that.*

    (And I'm a Christian and didnt see anything insulting towards my religion in my post.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #1438
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,041

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It should relate only to government and public services, not private. If the government bakery didn't want to supply them with a cake, OK I'd understand the argument. If a private business doesn't want to supply them with a cake well that's their prerogative. Stupid as it reduces income, and if people protest and boycott you could go out of business. But that's also part of the point.
    Any business that opens to the public is a public business, not a private one. If they don't want to abide by public policy then don't open a business to the public. Pretty simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  9. #1439
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    No, I just don't believe "freedom" to be the nebulous and boundless concept that Libertarians seem to hold. Freedom cannot be separated from the obligation to use it responsibly and, generally speaking, it ends when it threatens the freedom of others. As I said, there is no First Amendment right to violate the Fourteenth Amendment and I have no problem with the government enforcing law to that effect. What you conceptualize as freedom is about as useful and beneficial to society as the Reign of Terror was to France; mob rule with no mechanism to thwart tyranny of the majority.
    First "compel" and "force"...now "obligation". Yeah, you're not Nazi-like at all.

    The gay wedding had no freedom denied. They could've went down the road and found a non-judgmental baker to bake a cake identical to the one they wanted this guy to bake.

    The business owner made a business decision based on his belief - probably to the detriment of his own business, both in that transaction and possibly due to negative PR backlash.

    Yours is a position of persecuting those guilty of thoughtcrime. It honestly wouldn't shock me if you strenuously objected to a "jury of your peers", and would prefer to dish out your own form of oppressive law that you think, for some strange reason, is beneficial and benevolent to all.

    All you're doing is supporting a cult of personality, much like your Bavarian idol of 85 years back.

  10. #1440
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    So we can assume that you disagree with those who used government to ban marriage equality in their state constitutions a decade ago?



    >>>>
    Damn right, but my opinion of government intrusion into marriage (all marriage, not select ones) is well documented on DP.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •