Page 142 of 173 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144152 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 1723

Thread: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647]

  1. #1411
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,662

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    They are not at all equivalent, even though many want to make them out to be. Unlike the issue at hand, you would find no support for being black being an "abomination". Being black is not considered a moral issue.
    Um you are not very educated on the subject. Many people, including 'good Christians' thought it was indeed an abomination to treat blacks the same as whites. (And again, some still do )

    How old are you? Do you have any memories at all of the civil rights newcasts during the 60s? The racist rhetoric..."on the news" was an embarrassment to human beings in general IMO. And I was just a child.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #1412
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,478

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    You don't inspire change by force.
    You shouldn't delay the good and just thing just because it also happens to be the unpopular thing. Sometimes individuals have to be compelled to do the right thing through the force of law.

  3. #1413
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I agree with that a good deal however do you think that the civil rights movements for blacks and women....rife with legal acrimony and civil disobedience....were ineffective? Certainly it was uncomfortable for dissenters during that time but just IMO, it probably advanced their causes by reducing the time of real change from decades to years.
    I think that the protests were effective, and that making your voices heard is always a good thing. However, I do not support the idea of forcing people to comply with the government. I would say what that's akin to, but I'd be breaking Godwin's Law. I supported the protests of people such as Susan B. Anthony and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. to help inspire change from the populace. That's how you change minds and hearts.

  4. #1414
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    You shouldn't delay the good and just thing just because it also happens to be the unpopular thing. Sometimes individuals have to be compelled to do the right thing through the force of law.
    Sieg heil, mein fuhrer! Amerika Über Alles!

  5. #1415
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Sieg heil, mein fuhrer! Amerika Über Alles!
    Allu Ackbar!

  6. #1416
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,478

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Sieg heil, mein fuhrer! Amerika Über Alles!
    Precisely the kind of substantive rebuttal I've come to expect from Libertarians.

  7. #1417
    Professor
    Phil_Osophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    11-11-14 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    "Im entitled to your business because i can see that you are doing business with others."

  8. #1418
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,662

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I think that the protests were effective, and that making your voices heard is always a good thing. However, I do not support the idea of forcing people to comply with the government. I would say what that's akin to, but I'd be breaking Godwin's Law. I supported the protests of people such as Susan B. Anthony and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. to help inspire change from the populace. That's how you change minds and hearts.
    In general I agree but I also believe in anti-discrimination legislation....because it is the right thing to do. And it has worked, not perfectly, but has made a difference that has an overall positive affect on society. I dont say that about many laws that impose on the choices of others.

    I believe that because when something is *the right thing to do*, it is wrong to ignore it or deny it, no matter how inconvenient. And denying the rights of blacks and women and gays and any other protected class based on their status alone is to me, very wrong.

    Edit: IMO the fact that many in this thread cannot even see that this is an issue of discriminating against a group of people when compared against those previous civil rights battles is evidence that those earlier battles succeeded...because acceptance in society has become so commonplace. Just IMO of course.
    Last edited by Lursa; 12-10-13 at 09:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #1419
    Professor
    Phil_Osophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    11-11-14 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    In general I agree but I also believe in anti-discrimination legislation....because it is the right thing to do. And it has worked, not perfectly, but has made a difference that has an overall positive affect on society. I dont say that about many laws that impose on the choices of others.

    I believe that because when something is *the right thing to do*, it is wrong to ignore it or deny it. And denying the rights of blacks and women and gays and any other protected class based on their status alone is to me, very wrong.
    So you have a right to someone elses business?

  10. #1420
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    Precisely the kind of substantive rebuttal I've come to expect from Libertarians.
    Yeah, I know that individual freedom is an enemy to you, since you so easily toss around words like "compel" and "force".

    The leap to your blonde-hair-blue-eyed utopia has already begun.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •