Page 140 of 173 FirstFirst ... 4090130138139140141142150 ... LastLast
Results 1,391 to 1,400 of 1723

Thread: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647]

  1. #1391
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    The difference between a liberal and a libertarian is that a libertarian sees the government as an arbiter of last resort, instead of the chief one.

  2. #1392
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,840

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    You are at the nub of the problem.

    It is my feeling that the Supreme Court, if it ever gets that far, would find in favor of the baker.

    Despite the foolish analogies we've seen here this baker was not refusing the two Gay men service. They could buy any goods in the store they wanted. He just did not want to make a wedding cake for Gays because it was against his religion. He clearly has the First Amendment on his side. A wedding cake for Gays is a special order and there is no reason why he should have to make any special order for anyone if he doesn't want to.
    Yes there have been some very foolish/short sighted views presented. There is always the way of the courts to challenge these cases being brought by several gay couples all over the country on small business owners that cite religious convictions as not allowing them to offer services for a gay wedding. There have been florists, photographers, bakers all being hauled into court. But there is also another way to provide people protection of moral conscience and that is through the legislative branch of the Federal government. Today I found something that made me smile. The Marriage and Religious Freedom Act (H.R. 3133) was introduced just a few weeks ago by Representative Raul Labrador (R–ID) and over 60 other original co-sponsors from both political parties. The bill could be an important step for conscience protection. And the fact that it has bi-partisan support makes it more likely it will pass. Cheers!
    Last edited by vesper; 12-10-13 at 09:27 PM.

  3. #1393
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    100% factually false proven by facts already.

    case was filed based on what? DISCRIMINATION
    case went to a judge based on what? DISCRIMINATION
    case was ruled on and the judged based his rulling on what? DISCRIMINATION
    not cake

    can a case be brought to court based on cake? factually no
    is cake in general illegal? factually no
    does cake break the law and infringe on rights? factually no
    your post is destroyed again by facts, remind me what you have to support your failed post again? thats right nothing

    facts, the court case and the ruling all prove your post wrong
    It was filed on discrimination, I never said anything counter. Please try to refrain from pedantic arguments which add nothing and are nothing more than strawman. My point is that cake is not a right and if you are discriminated against for a cake it's not the same as discrimination that actually involves rights. Cake is not a right.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #1394
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Yes, but that's why I have my signature...the one in green.
    lol very true but some of the judges ignore facts too
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #1395
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Rosa Park's arrest was about a woman who would not move to her specific part of a bus. Sounds pretty innocuous to me. And yet it was one form of fighting for one's civil rights.

    The precedent is seen throughout American history, civil disobedience, legal pressure (like law suits), petitioning legislators...all seemingly minor on their own, but bring awareness which contribute to tipping the scales.
    Public transportation and private business are 2 different things. Please avoid strawman arguments.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #1396
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,478

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    The difference between a liberal and a libertarian is that a libertarian sees the government as an arbiter of last resort, instead of the chief one.
    The real difference between a liberal and a libertarian is that a liberal is aware that the government is required to fill a void which exists because of the realities of human nature and that there wouldn't be slack for the government to pick up if people could be relied upon to make the just and charitable choices on their own.

  7. #1397
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    The real difference between a liberal and a libertarian is that a liberal is aware that the government is required to fill a void which exists because of the realities of human nature and that there wouldn't be slack for the government to pick up if people could be relied upon to make the just and charitable choices on their own.
    Libertarians are not anarchists.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #1398
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    when you can do anything but show tears, please do so

    Colorado judges do not speak for the whole country
    more off topic ranting and failed insults :shrug": nothing has changed the point that your statement was factually wrong
    let me know when you have anything that changes this fact
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #1399
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    The real difference between a liberal and a libertarian is that a liberal is aware that the government is required to fill a void which exists because of the realities of human nature and that there wouldn't be slack for the government to pick up if people could be relied upon to make the just and charitable choices on their own.
    So we should allow them to be the moral police for one-third of a billion Americans? Yeah, and the right wing wants a police state...

    It's bad enough that we tell the world what to do and think. Hell if I want them to do it to their own.

  10. #1400
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,662

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Yes there have been some very foolish/nearsighted views presented. There is always the way of the courts to challenge these cases being brought by several gay couples all over the country on small business owners that cite religious convictions as not allowing them to offer services for a gay wedding. There have been florists, photographers, bakers all being hauled into court. But there is also another way to provide people protection of moral conscience and that is through the legislative branch of the Federal government. Today I found something that made me smile. The Marriage and Religious Freedom Act (H.R. 3133) was introduced just a few weeks ago by Representative Raul Labrador (R–ID) and over 60 other original co-sponsors from both political parties. The bill could be an important step for conscience protection. And the fact that it has bi-partisan support makes it more likely it will pass. Cheers!
    What is near-sighted (I would say short-sighted) is that neither of you seems to realize that blacks, for example, had to fight the same way, do the same things, to achieve their civil rights. As did women.

    And people considered what they did as annoying and valueless and selfish as you do. However....*history* will be the judge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •