Page 127 of 173 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128129137 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,270 of 1723

Thread: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647]

  1. #1261
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    It drives me crazy that people go into a profession knowing what is ethically, professionally, and/or legally obligated of them then make a bunch of noise when they're punished for not meeting those obligations. Just because you're punished for breaking laws you agreed to abide by in your acquisition and retainment of a business license does not mean you are being persecuted or, as you imply, enslaved. If you object to the legal requirements associated with owning and operating a business which offers public services then don't become a business owner, at the very least, take your lumps silently or become a non-profit.
    yep common sense at its finest

    yep, rules and laws were broken, crime was committed and a light slap on the hand (not even) was given out
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #1262
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It's a cake, it's not like it's medical care or voting. Cake. Someone else owns it, another wants it. But the person who owns it can sell it to whomever they wish.

    This presumption of ownership over private property and labor is a bit disturbing. People thinking everyone else around them OWES them service.
    Same could be said for lunch at a "whites only" lunch counter. There is no "presumption of ownership over private property", there is however an expectation that businesses in this country comply with anti-discrimination laws.
    It isn't about "people thinking everyone else around them OWES them service"...its about our society demanding equal and fair treatment that doesn't discriminate against a class of people simply because a bigot thinks they are "icky". Not a lot to ask.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  3. #1263
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    It drives me crazy that people go into a profession knowing what is ethically, professionally, and/or legally obligated of them then make a bunch of noise when they're punished for not meeting those obligations. Just because you're punished for breaking laws you agreed to abide by in your acquisition and retainment of a business license does not mean you are being persecuted or, as you imply, enslaved. If you object to the legal requirements associated with owning and operating a business which offers public services then don't become a business owner, at the very least, take your lumps silently or become a non-profit.
    Its a new tactic among the extreme fringe right-wingers and so called "Christian" evangelists. Cry "persecution" whenever your bigotry is exposed. It hasn't worked for them yet....so they just stomp their feet more and whine louder.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  4. #1264
    Educator Uncensored2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    06-02-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    655

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    LOL....you guys are such drama queens. You would think that you never had to follow a law in your life. Anti-discrimination laws do not take away your freedom to hold your own beliefs. You remain free to me a bigot or not. What you are NOT free to do however is use your religion as a shield to try to avoid complying with the law. That doesn't take away any of your right to believe whatever you want.
    If you own a bakery, you have the same rights as every other bakery owner in this country. If you don't want to serve cookies, don't make them. If you don't want to serve croissants, don't make them....but you can't say we only serve brownies to white people or we don't sell pie to women...or we don't sell cakes to gays. You open your doors to the public, you have to comply with the laws of this country. Don't like it? Don't open a business. Simple as that.
    Look, you are engaged in a war on civil rights. As Joe Biden says "That's a big fu^&ing deal."

    And no, denying economic freedom to those who oppose involuntary servitude is not an answer.

  5. #1265
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Same could be said for lunch at a "whites only" lunch counter. There is no "presumption of ownership over private property", there is however an expectation that businesses in this country comply with anti-discrimination laws.
    It isn't about "people thinking everyone else around them OWES them service"...its about our society demanding equal and fair treatment that doesn't discriminate against a class of people simply because a bigot thinks they are "icky". Not a lot to ask.
    Exactly. People are lazy and don't want to do what's right and then they go cry to government to use force against the rights of others. You know how you end "Whites only" businesses? You don't shop there. Protest, boycott, raise awareness. Intelligent consumerism is how you servo the system. You don't call down the guns of government against the property rights and labor of others.

    It's 100% that you think you are OWED their property and their labor, that is why you use government force against them. Not the intelligent and proper method of local community activism and participation and informed consuming.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #1266
    Educator Uncensored2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    06-02-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    655

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    LOL....now the desperation is climbing exponentially. Now requiring the bigots to comply with the law is slavery? Wow.....that is just absolutely ridiculous to the highest degree.
    Forcing others to work against their will is slavery - that is a fact.

  7. #1267
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncensored2008 View Post
    Look, you are engaged in a war on civil rights. As Joe Biden says "That's a big fu^&ing deal."

    And no, denying economic freedom to those who oppose involuntary servitude is not an answer.
    The only one in a "war on civil rights" are the bigots who haven't realized that they've already lost the battle. BTW....labeling it "involuntary servitude" is just plain silly.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  8. #1268
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncensored2008 View Post
    Forcing others to work against their will is slavery - that is a fact.
    So ridiculous....doesn't even merit a response....carry on.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  9. #1269
    Educator Uncensored2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    06-02-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    655

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.) nice opinion but this strawman complete fails and facts destroy it since thats not what happened at all
    2.) See #2
    3.) See #2 and not a democrat
    4.) so when one argument complete fails and gets destroyed by facts you simply make up another? got it. He is free to have his beliefs and he is free not to break the law, make himself a criminal and infringe on the rights of others. He chooses to obey or disobey anythign he wants another strawman that fails
    5.) yep facts are tough to beat as you just found out
    6.) nice opinion but this strawman complete fails and facts destroy it since he is not, but please feel free to make up more fantasy
    7.) the constitution is what worked here, read the ruling its you that doesnt like it
    8.) nice random meaningless rant to you have anything on topic and that can be supported by facts?
    We'll put this down as you have no rational response.

  10. #1270
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Exactly. People are lazy and don't want to do what's right and then they go cry to government to use force against the rights of others. You know how you end "Whites only" businesses? You don't shop there. Protest, boycott, raise awareness. Intelligent consumerism is how you servo the system. You don't call down the guns of government against the property rights and labor of others.

    It's 100% that you think you are OWED their property and their labor, that is why you use government force against them. Not the intelligent and proper method of local community activism and participation and informed consuming.
    That''s not necessarily true. I suspect that there are enough bigots around that would patronize the company, just look at Chik-fil-A. The bottom line is, we as a society have a right to say that we don't want bigoted businesses in our communities. You either follow the law or you don't open a business. Simple as that.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •