Page 106 of 173 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116156 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 1723

Thread: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647]

  1. #1051
    Professor
    Phil_Osophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    11-11-14 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    The RULES that have been established. Don't like it, don't open a business. Or feel free to move to Iran.
    So if there is a rule on anything, that automatically makes it right? Ok. So you dont have to break it down logically, all you have to say is "because the government says so".

  2. #1052
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Wow! This "bigot" word really flies around freely. I suppose that makes it easier than trying to say anything that resembles some sort of sensible debate.
    If the shoe fits. WEAR it. You wear it quite well. Your comments support that a business should be able to discriminate against who they want.

  3. #1053
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Osophy View Post
    So if there is a rule on anything, that automatically makes it right? Ok. So you dont have to break it down logically, all you have to say is "because the government says so".
    Iran is more to your liking then. Move there.

    Plain and simple, there are rules to operating a business that you cannot discriminate against a client based on sexuality, race, or religion.

  4. #1054
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,662

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Who is hiding behind religion in this case? What evidence do you have of that?
    Well, my high school girlfriend Debbie Zambrano's family bakery...very Italian Catholic....made lots of barmitzvah cakes and I know plenty of Jewish bakeries back East that made Christmas cakes and fantastic hot-crossed buns for Easter. So...they support those things that a truly devout person would not provide those services to them.

    Most businesses, religious or not, serve people with whom they knowingly object to morally. And in these cases of religious beliefs, it appears they may be 'selective' in when they choose to "play the religious beliefs' card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #1055
    Professor
    Phil_Osophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    11-11-14 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Iran is more to your liking then. Move there.

    Plain and simple, there are rules to operating a business that you cannot discriminate against a client based on sexuality, race, or religion.
    Slavery used to be the law. So back in those days yiu would have said "there are rules and if you dont like it, move"? Or does that logic only apply to things you agree with. You stikk havent logically explained what makes you entitled to another persons private property. You just keep saying "big daddy government says so, dont like it, move".

  6. #1056
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Osophy View Post
    Slavery used to be the law. So back in those days yiu would have said "there are rules and if you dont like it, move"? Or does that logic only apply to things you agree with. You stikk havent logically explained what makes you entitled to another persons private property. You just keep saying "big daddy government says so, dont like it, move".
    If you cannot understand that the U.S. does not tolerate discrimination based on sexuality, race or religion, I cannot help you.

    These are current laws like those that say we cannot employ 5 year olds to work in the factories. Are you also going to demand an answer why we cannot allow 5 year olds to work in factories as well? You're being silly at this point.

  7. #1057
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,053

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    No. What they said was that if you are selling cakes to the public then you must do so to all of the public. You cannot use race, religion, ethnicity, gender or gender preference as the basis to refuse service to some customers. You cannot say, sorry we do not serve (insert any subset of the public) - your kind must shop elsewhere.
    That is all very nice, except that gender preference has not been the same level of protected class as race, color, creed, sex or national origin. In fact, sexual preference is an all-together separate phenomenon as its the only one of those that is explicitly carved out by the Bible, which given our Judeo-Christian heritage, is significant.

  8. #1058
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Listen, it is not an interracial couple, it is not a man with his dog, it is not any of these things being brought up. It is two gay men asking for a wedding cake and the owner declined because he said his religion precluded him from getting involved in Gay marriage. So they should simply respect that and go elsewhere. Thankfully, not all Gays are this petty.
    For the sake of argument though, had this been an interracial couple and the baker had denied them a wedding cake because he religiously felt that he could not support interracial marriages, would you have supported that as legitimate free exercise of religion?

    Based on your other response, I am guessing that for you, personally, you do not believe sexual orientation should be a protected class like race and that influences how you see this situation. I am wondering if you would respond the same way if it were racial given that people have, in the past, used religious convictions to deny services to people of different racial groups.

    Also, it should be noted since you brought dogs up, that this baker does do wedding cakes for dog weddings.
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 12-10-13 at 01:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  9. #1059
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,840

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    The RULES that have been established. Don't like it, don't open a business. Or feel free to move to Iran.
    Better yet... if you come across a baker that finds it against his moral conscience to bake a cake for your wedding,...move down the yellow pages to the next baker in the neighborhood that will bake you a friggin cake and not find it a need to press charges against the one who wouldn't because of moral conscience. DUH

  10. #1060
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,662

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Really? My arguments are so piss poor and yours are by all means stellar examples of justice ! Yeah right.
    I do not see any form of sexual activity seeking rights that redefines the traditional definition of marriage worthy of violating at the expense of other's rights, including property and religious freedom and to be in violation of the first amendment.
    Being gay isnt about sexual activity. A person is gay whether or not they ever have sex. It is about the gender that they are attracted to, fall in love with, want to be intimate with.

    Gays wouldnt want to get married if it was just about sex....how many married couples continue to have lots of sex? Relationships are much more than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •