Page 101 of 173 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1723

Thread: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647]

  1. #1001
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,203

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    I'd probably do the same, but would also recognize that this person has his beliefs and they should be respected unless he is causing harm. That's obviously not the case here.
    Unless the harm is not about the cake itself, but the harm of discrimination.

  2. #1002
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,840

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    No thanks are necessary, Vesper, but thanks anyway!.

    People should not be forced to do anything against their will and that should be clear to everyone. If it's not then the country is in real trouble.
    Grant personally I see what is happening to people who dare to say no to someone over moral convictions are being made out to be bigots and the left uses this to justify a need for anti-discrimination laws which is just another avenue in which those who seek government expansion over our lives. Take a look at those who advocate such "discrimination laws" and there you will find some of the most biggest supporters of big government we have on this forum called Debate Politics. At the onset they have no respect for our Constitution unless it personally benefits them, for if they did they would be able to recognize forcing someone to comply with discrimination laws when pertaining to business violates their property rights as well as their moral conscience related to religious freedom. The country is in real trouble because the Constitution has been allowed to be trampled and the consequences we are about to face because of the disrespect for the first principles we have yet to experience. Maybe it will take the consequences of so many unconstitutional laws to be experienced before the people wake up and discover what they allowed to be trampled indeed violated their own rights.
    Last edited by vesper; 12-10-13 at 12:26 AM.

  3. #1003
    Professor
    Phil_Osophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    11-11-14 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by year2late View Post
    Curious, do you think segregation at a private business is acceptable? Think "Whites Only" etc.
    No, i dont. But people arent forced to patronize businesses and you arent entitled to another mans business. If someone wants to run a business for white people only, they should be able to. Although that would be a pretty stupid business move.

  4. #1004
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Reductio ad absurdum is a legitimate form of argument provided it does not descend into a strawman.
    It descended into a strawman, as does the "Whites Only" argument

  5. #1005
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by year2late View Post
    Unless the harm is not about the cake itself, but the harm of discrimination.
    What harm was caused to these two men who didn't get their wedding cake from the baker? Are we talking hurt feelings here?

  6. #1006
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,203

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Osophy View Post
    No, i dont. But people arent forced to patronize businesses and you arent entitled to another mans business. If someone wants to run a business for white people only, they should be able to. Although that would be a pretty stupid business move.
    It is hard for me to wrap my head around "whites only" or "blacks only" businesses being acceptable legally. I would like to think that we have come so far we do not need such laws, but I know that to be untrue.

  7. #1007
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    over 100 pages and nothing has changed lets go over the facts:

    Owner chose to play in the public realm and open a public access business, this requires a licenses and has rules and laws that regulated it
    Owner chose to break the law, commit a crime and make himself a criminal which has consequences


    The judge actually let the criminal off easy,he didn't fine him or anything, he just gave him a cease and desist order.

    So all the owner has to do is stop breaking the law, committing crimes, illegal discriminating and stop infringing on peoples rights, seems easy to me.

    next time this dummy will think twice before breaking the law


    heres some qoutes to the judges 13 page ruling

    “The undisputed facts show that Respondents (Phillips) discriminated against Complainants because of their sexual orientation by refusing to sell them a wedding cake for their same-sex marriage,” Judge Spencer wrote.

    “Conceptually, [Mr. Phillips's] refusal to serve a same-sex couple due to religious objection to same-sex weddings is no different from refusing to serve a biracial couple because of religious objection to biracial marriage,” wrote Judge Spencer.

    The order says the cake-maker must “cease and desist from discriminating” against gay couples. Although the judge did not impose fines in this case, the business will face penalties if it continues to turn away gay couples who want to buy cakes.

    “At first blush, it may seem reasonable that a private business should be able to refuse service to anyone it chooses,” Judge Spencer said in his written order. “This view, however, fails to take into account the cost to society and the hurt caused to persons who are denied service simply because of who they are.”


    I love when equal/human/civil rights wins over discrimination and bigotry and people who support bigotry and or discrimination freak out.

    #EqualRightWinsAgain
    Last edited by AGENT J; 12-10-13 at 12:30 AM.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #1008
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,203

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    What harm was caused to these two men who didn't get their wedding cake from the baker? Are we talking hurt feelings here?
    No, I am talking about harm to the society for accepting discrimination.

    But frankly, I am more inclined to let them discriminate, but the shop owners also need to accept that their discrimination comes with consequences. One of those consequences would be freedom of speech- and that freedom of speech (alerting clients and future clients)may negatively affect that business.

  9. #1009
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    What harm was caused to these two men who didn't get their wedding cake from the baker? Are we talking hurt feelings here?
    What harm was caused by not allowing a black person into a white only restaraunt?

    What harm was caused by forcing blacks to the back of the bus?

    What harm was there in white only fountains?

    If you think that separate but equal is a good policy, you might as well believe that Zeus makes lightning because your ideas are just as archaic.

  10. #1010
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Grant personally I see what is happening to people who dare to say no to someone over moral convictions are being made out to be bigots and the left justifies a need for anti-discrimination laws which is just another avenue in which those who seek government expansion over our lives. Take a look at those who advocate such "discrimination laws" and there you will find some of the most biggest supporters of big government we have on this forum called Debate Politics. At the onset they have no respect for our Constitution unless it personally benefits them, for if they did they would be able to recognize forcing someone to comply with discrimination laws when pertaining to business violates their property rights as well as their moral conscience related to religious freedom. The country is in real trouble because the Constitution has been allowed to be trampled and the consequences we are about to face because of the disrespect for the first principles we have yet to experience. Maybe it will take the consequences of so many unconstitutional laws to be experienced before the people wake up and discover what they allowed to be trampled indeed violated their own rights.
    You nailed it, Vesper, and please understand that you are not alone in recognizing this movement. Millions of people everywhere are waking up to this craziness, and should before all personal freedoms disappear. The Founders recognized this potential for evil, designing the Constitution accordingly while George Orwell, as usual, summed it up nicely.

    So much of left-wing thought is a kind of playing with fire by people who don't even know that fire is hot.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •