Page 100 of 173 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 1723

Thread: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647]

  1. #991
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Do you understand the difference between killing someone and not selling a cake to them? Time to get real!
    It was an extreme example to point out that "free exercise" of religion is not unlimited. Your right to "free exercise" of religion ends when it interferes with my rights. Court precedent also allows a state to limit your "free exercise" of religion in the interest of a "compelling state interest" such as nondiscrimination as long as it isn't too burdensome.

    Everyone here knows it is a 1st amendment, religious liberty issue. The actual debate is the extent to which people have "free exercise" of their religious liberty and whether the state is imposing too much of a burden on this baker by trying to push its interest of nondiscrimination. Hence why I posted the handy, dandy link. Forgive me for trying to help you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  2. #992
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    not to mention moral judgments and moral conscience is absolutely meaningless when it comes to breaking the law and infringing on the rights of others, its beyond absurd to even come up with the logic that it matters.

    I guess if i think rape is ok by my moral judgments and moral conscience i should be allowed to do it. LMAO
    WOW! After comparing it to murder here's who compares rape to a cake sale. How about treason? Torture perhaps? C'mon guys, Use your imaginations! We can draw thousands of comparisons to selling cake!

  3. #993
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,250

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    gays are an extremely small part of the overall population.

    Why would people stop shopping there because of this?
    Because there are some people that think that discrimination because of sexual orientation is wrong. I may not be gay, but if I knew an establishment went out of their way to discriminate against gay people, I would not patronize the place. You seem to assume that folks only care about themselves.

  4. #994
    Professor
    Phil_Osophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    11-11-14 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Businesses should be able to serve who they want to serve. You are not entitled to ampther mans business.

  5. #995
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    It was an extreme example to point out that "free exercise" of religion is not unlimited.
    Thanks for that insight.

    Your right to "free exercise" of religion ends when it interferes with my rights.
    Is it your right to buy something that someone doesn't want labor over and sell to you?
    Court precedent also allows a state to limit your "free exercise" of religion in the interest of a "compelling state interest" such as nondiscrimination as long as it isn't too burdensome.
    The baker feels it is too burdensome apparently, and against his religion as well. This is hardly an exclusive belief, given that the last three presidents, or more, have had the same opinion.. That's his decision to make and of course he made it at great personal and professional risk. It's a man taking a stand for his religious beliefs..
    Everyone here knows it is a 1st amendment, religious liberty issue.
    Apparently not, judging by some posts.
    The actual debate is the extent to which people have "free exercise" of their religious liberty and whether the state is imposing too much of a burden on this baker by trying to push its interest of nondiscrimination. Hence why I posted the handy, dandy link. Forgive me for trying to help you out.
    No perspiration.You're forgiven.

  6. #996
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Osophy View Post
    Businesses should be able to serve who they want to serve. You are not entitled to ampther mans business.
    Or their labor.

  7. #997
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:123]

    Quote Originally Posted by year2late View Post
    Because there are some people that think that discrimination because of sexual orientation is wrong. I may not be gay, but if I knew an establishment went out of their way to discriminate against gay people, I would not patronize the place. You seem to assume that folks only care about themselves.
    I'd probably do the same, but would also recognize that this person has his beliefs and they should be respected unless he is causing harm. That's obviously not the case here.

  8. #998
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,250

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Osophy View Post
    Businesses should be able to serve who they want to serve. You are not entitled to ampther mans business.
    Curious, do you think segregation at a private business is acceptable? Think "Whites Only" etc.

  9. #999
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    WOW! After comparing it to murder here's who compares rape to a cake sale. How about treason? Torture perhaps? C'mon guys, Use your imaginations! We can draw thousands of comparisons to selling cake!
    Reductio ad absurdum is a legitimate form of argument provided it does not descend into a strawman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  10. #1000
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,801

    Re: Colorado Judge: Bakery Owner discriminated against gay couple [W:113:123:292:647

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    1.)WOW! After comparing it to murder here's who compares rape to a cake sale. How about treason? Torture perhaps? C'mon guys, Use your imaginations! We can draw thousands of comparisons to selling cake!
    yep because the absurd failed argument was made over and over again that its ok to violate peoples rights, break the laws and infringe on rights based on moral judgments and moral conscience, so i simple applied that false statement/logic to something else proving what a complete failure it was.

    im glad you see how that "defense" is completely mentally retarded and a defense like that could never hold water to the facts

    but you are right we could draw thousands of comparisons based on that and they would all fail and be defeat by facts, THANKS!!!
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •