Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 545535455
Results 541 to 543 of 543

Thread: Obama: Flags To Be Flown At Half-Staff In Honor Of Nelson Mandela [W:382]

  1. #541
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,029

    Re: Obama: Flags To Be Flown At Half-Staff In Honor Of Nelson Mandela [W:382]

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Chaos View Post
    Whatever you think of Thatcher, facts continue to go against you - please just stick to Mandela, I'm afraid your recollection or reading of history you may have been too young to experience continue to be wrong.

    You were doing much better on Mandela. Economic policy was Thatcher's key driver and philosophy; she surrounded herself with bright young enterprising minds and in Parliament she worked with radical thinkers within the Conservative party and then charged her cabinet with putting her policies into place. Howe did as told like everyone else until her cowardly cabinet turned and betrayed her.
    Her original cabinets were shaped by her beliefs and policies, people who did not meet her expectations and demands were removed or replaced in re-shuffles. As a gutsy leader, prepared to think really differently, she made mistakes but also left us a strong legacy in the world which none of our politicians since (Socialist / Conservative or Liberal) could match.
    That is your opinion. And I am not too young to understand that part of History (Thatcherism) from over the Channel we in the Netherlands were quite close to the action. Also, having had BBC since I was about 9 (and by the age of 12 reasonably fluent in English) and being a history and politics enthusiast (not many from the Netherlands took time off from work to view the US election results since 1996) and I have been following English politics even longer.

    I also would not agree with flying the flags at half mast if Blair were to die. He also did not have a great personal inspirational story behind him (unlike Mandela).

    Thatcher and Blair dabbled in politics with varying degrees of success and deserve no flags at half mast. Mandela led an enslaved nation to freedom, he was the poster child for forgiveness and was a great personal inspiration to hundreds of millions around the world and for that reason the flags were shown at half mast.

    To make a long story short, I could have cared less if they had the flags at half mast of any of them and I also would have cared less if they did it for all of them. But when it comes to who is a more deserving candidate for that honor, for me it is only Nelson Mandela.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  2. #542
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,009

    Re: Obama: Flags To Be Flown At Half-Staff In Honor Of Nelson Mandela [W:382]

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    If you don't think complete control over a population by a government where they own everything and you nothing isn't evil then, you need to do some serious re-evaluation.
    That is not the basic premise behind communism...just how it has been practiced so far. And possibly the only way it can be practiced on a large scale.

    I am completely against communism btw, I can just see beyond my biases to look at it rationally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #543
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,216

    Re: Obama: Flags To Be Flown At Half-Staff In Honor Of Nelson Mandela [W:382]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    That is not the basic premise behind communism...just how it has been practiced so far. And possibly the only way it can be practiced on a large scale.

    I am completely against communism btw, I can just see beyond my biases to look at it rationally.
    That's the trouble with grand philosophies...the way they're implemented has too many variables. Ones that contain an all-knowing, all-powerful 'central government' tend to be failures.

Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 545535455

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •