Page 40 of 55 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 543

Thread: Obama: Flags To Be Flown At Half-Staff In Honor Of Nelson Mandela [W:382]

  1. #391
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Obama: Flags To Be Flown At Half-Staff In Honor Of Nelson Mandela [W:382]

    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    Actually that's what America was doing at the time, fighting the Cold War and the NAC and it's war against the South African government was considered one of the Cold War proxy wars being fought in Africa at the time. Who trained the NAC ? The Soviets. Who armed the NAC ? Fidel Castro and Cuba.

    Read the Reagan Diaries or other biographies on Reagan. As for Ronald Reagan in his personal diaries, he just said he didn't like Mandela.

    During the 80's there were both Republicans and Democrats who opposed economic sanctions against South Africa because it would be like supporting the Soviet Union during the Cold War while we were fighting them at the same time.

    BTW: The link doesn't seem to work.
    There is a massive difference between acknowledging the necessities of certain US foreign policy positions in the context of the Cold War and actively castigating the people who we had the misfortune of having to fight.

  2. #392
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama: Flags To Be Flown At Half-Staff In Honor Of Nelson Mandela [W:382]

    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    Actually that's what America was doing at the time, fighting the Cold War and the NAC and it's war against the South African government was considered one of the Cold War proxy wars being fought in Africa at the time. Who trained the NAC ? The Soviets. Who armed the NAC ? Fidel Castro and Cuba.

    Read the Reagan Diaries or other biographies on Reagan. As for Ronald Reagan in his personal diaries, he just said he didn't like Mandela.

    During the 80's there were both Republicans and Democrats who opposed economic sanctions against South Africa because it would be like supporting the Soviet Union during the Cold War while we were fighting them at the same time.

    BTW: The link doesn't seem to work.




    Let me try posting it again so that you can read about the man who destroyed apartheid in South Africa. : BBC News - Nelson Mandela death: The man who destroyed apartheid in South Africa
    Last edited by shrubnose; 12-08-13 at 03:07 AM.

  3. #393
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    Re: Obama: Flags To Be Flown At Half-Staff In Honor Of Nelson Mandela [W:382]

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    There is a massive difference between acknowledging the necessities of certain US foreign policy positions in the context of the Cold War and actively castigating the people who we had the misfortune of having to fight.

    I hope everyone reads this so they have a better understanding of what was really going on during the 60's, 70's and 80's.

    http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/1...82471003778367
    Last edited by APACHERAT; 12-08-13 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Had to find a link that actually worked

  4. #394
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Obama: Flags To Be Flown At Half-Staff In Honor Of Nelson Mandela [W:382]

    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    Page Not Found - Debate Politics Forums

    I hope everyone reads this so they have a better understanding of what was really going on during the 60's, 70's and 80's.
    It's a broken link. It's also unnecessarily condescending to assume that none of us 'understand' what was going on. We do.

  5. #395
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    Re: Obama: Flags To Be Flown At Half-Staff In Honor Of Nelson Mandela [W:382]

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    It's a broken link. It's also unnecessarily condescending to assume that none of us 'understand' what was going on. We do.
    It's fixed. Had to go to an other source.

  6. #396
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Obama: Flags To Be Flown At Half-Staff In Honor Of Nelson Mandela [W:382]

    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    It's fixed. Had to go to an other source.
    The article chronicles the history of the South African nuclear program. What is it you are trying to illustrate?

  7. #397
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    Re: Obama: Flags To Be Flown At Half-Staff In Honor Of Nelson Mandela [W:382]

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Let me try posting it again so that you can read about the man who destroyed apartheid in South Africa. : BBC News - Nelson Mandela death: The man who destroyed apartheid in South Africa
    It works now.

  8. #398
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    Re: Obama: Flags To Be Flown At Half-Staff In Honor Of Nelson Mandela [W:382]

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    The article chronicles the history of the South African nuclear program. What is it you are trying to illustrate?
    Did you open the PDF file and read the entire article ? It kinda explains the correlation of the apartheid government and the Cold War.

    Don't you people remember all of the Soviet and Cuban backed civil wars going on in Africa during the 70's and 80's ?

    Remember mercenaries and Soldier of Fortune magazine along with Easyrider magazine ?

    There was more going on than disco and cocaine back then.

    How many of the uniformed didn't know that South Africa had nuclear weapons ?

  9. #399
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Obama: Flags To Be Flown At Half-Staff In Honor Of Nelson Mandela [W:382]

    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    Did you open the PDF file and read the entire article ? It kinda explains the correlation of the apartheid government and the Cold War.

    Don't you people remember all of the Soviet and Cuban backed civil wars going on in Africa during the 70's and 80's ?

    Remember mercenaries and Soldier of Fortune magazine along with Easyrider magazine ?

    There was more going on than disco and cocaine back then.

    How many of the uniformed didn't know that South Africa had nuclear weapons ?
    I'm well aware of the history of South Africa and the wider region in the context of the Cold War. I'm not sure what point you are trying to get across. Once again there is a massive distinction between the decision (for which I will pass no retrospective censure) to prioritize fighting regional Communist powers over ending Apartheid in South Africa; and castigating Mandela and his affiliates for trying to topple what was in effect a fascistic, racist, dictatorship.

  10. #400
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    Re: Obama: Flags To Be Flown At Half-Staff In Honor Of Nelson Mandela [W:382]

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Let me try posting it again so that you can read about the man who destroyed apartheid in South Africa. : BBC News - Nelson Mandela death: The man who destroyed apartheid in South Africa
    I read the article Shrub. Nothing new that I haven't known for over thirty years.

    >" The ANC began to advocate violence and Mr Mandela was made commander of its newly formed military wing, Umkhonto we Sizwe.

    The group's policy was to attack property - under his auspices, the ANC carried out a sabotage campaign, blowing up government pass offices, electricity pylons and attacking police stations.

    However, in his autobiography Mr Mandela makes it clear they were prepared to go further and engage in guerrilla warfare and even terrorism. He grew a beard in the Castro style."<

    And they did go further, murdering innocent black Africans by putting tires on their necks and setting them on fire. But Mandela was already in prison, Winnie had taken over for her husband.

    Give credit where credit is do, Nelson divorced the murdering bitch. But Nelson Mendela surprised the world and did the unthinkable after being released from prison, he defended the bitch when she was brought to trial.

    Remember that young white American college girl who went to South Africa to do her part to end apartheid and Winnie's ANC goon squad put a tire around her neck and set her on fire ? Remember her name ? But I'm sure you remember the incident.

    I suppose it all comes down to the end justifies the means.

Page 40 of 55 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •