Page 22 of 57 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 568

Thread: Catholic hospital 'risked woman's life by forcing her to deliver 18-week fetus[W:465]

  1. #211
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    re: Catholic hospital 'risked woman's life by forcing her to deliver 18-week fetus[W:465]

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    What makes you think her OB-GYN didn't follow up or maybe was even there and treated her?

    The suit she filed indicates that her regular doctor was on the staff of the hospital
    I have no idea what all happened. Information on the story is pretty scant from what I can find.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  2. #212
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    re: Catholic hospital 'risked woman's life by forcing her to deliver 18-week fetus[W:465]

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I have no idea what all happened. Information on the story is pretty scant from what I can find.
    Here's a link to her suit

    https://www.aclu.org/sites/default/f...nt_final_1.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #213
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    re: Catholic hospital 'risked woman's life by forcing her to deliver 18-week fetus[W:465]

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Thanks for the link. It appears that in the suit, the ACLU is alleging that the hospital didn't inform her that the best option would be to induce labor and abort. The problem I have with this, is that an 18 week fetus will not automatically die. It could have been delivered and sent to a neonatal intensive care unit, where the chances for survival aren't great, but are at least possible. I'm not sure why this would not have been an option for her. I still don't see why we are not seeing any information regarding her doctor in any of the stories which have been published about it, and I really don't think this is about anything more than the ACLU wanting to force a religious hospital to provide services which are against their own policies.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  4. #214
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    re: Catholic hospital 'risked woman's life by forcing her to deliver 18-week fetus[W:465]

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Thanks for the link. It appears that in the suit, the ACLU is alleging that the hospital didn't inform her that the best option would be to induce labor and abort. The problem I have with this, is that an 18 week fetus will not automatically die. It could have been delivered and sent to a neonatal intensive care unit, where the chances for survival aren't great, but are at least possible. I'm not sure why this would not have been an option for her. I still don't see why we are not seeing any information regarding her doctor in any of the stories which have been published about it, and I really don't think this is about anything more than the ACLU wanting to force a religious hospital to provide services which are against their own policies.
    everything i have ever read says viability will never be lower than 20 weeks due to lung development am i misunderstanding something?
    also ending the pregnancy seems to be what would have been best for the woman no matter what, now how to end the pregnancy could be deabted, straight abortion or induced labor for ahild from what i know has ZERO chance of living.

    but again correct me if im wrong if im misunderstanding something. Have the been able to keep babies alive at that young age? are there actual devices that can breath for it etc? because this could impact my stances of wanting abortion completely legal and unlimited up to 20 weeks and then limited after that
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #215
    Sage
    minnie616's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,952

    re: Catholic hospital 'risked woman's life by forcing her to deliver 18-week fetus[W:465]

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Thanks for the link. It appears that in the suit, the ACLU is alleging that the hospital didn't inform her that the best option would be to induce labor and abort. The problem I have with this, is that an 18 week fetus will not automatically die. It could have been delivered and sent to a neonatal intensive care unit, where the chances for survival aren't great, but are at least possible. I'm not sure why this would not have been an option for her. I still don't see why we are not seeing any information regarding her doctor in any of the stories which have been published about it, and I really don't think this is about anything more than the ACLU wanting to force a religious hospital to provide services which are against their own policies.
    The youngest preemie to ever survive was 21 weeks and 5 or 6 days gestation.
    Last edited by minnie616; 12-09-13 at 01:56 AM.
    When it comes to matters of reproduce health, Politicians and the religious dogma of another faith should never interfere with religious liberty of an individual or her faith.

  6. #216
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    re: Catholic hospital 'risked woman's life by forcing her to deliver 18-week fetus[W:465]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    everything i have ever read says viability will never be lower than 20 weeks due to lung development am i misunderstanding something?
    also ending the pregnancy seems to be what would have been best for the woman no matter what, now how to end the pregnancy could be deabted, straight abortion or induced labor for ahild from what i know has ZERO chance of living.

    but again correct me if im wrong if im misunderstanding something. Have the been able to keep babies alive at that young age? are there actual devices that can breath for it etc? because this could impact my stances of wanting abortion completely legal and unlimited up to 20 weeks and then limited after that
    Maybe I am mistaken. It has been many years since I worked in a neonatal unit. I was thinking a couple of them had survived at half-term. Thanks.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  7. #217
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    re: Catholic hospital 'risked woman's life by forcing her to deliver 18-week fetus[W:465]

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Maybe I am mistaken. It has been many years since I worked in a neonatal unit. I was thinking a couple of them had survived at half-term. Thanks.
    no problem i was honestly curious because it would probably definitely impact my stance, i do know the miracle baby (youngest ever) was 21 weeks 5 days and everything i read said 20 weeks would be the earliest because of lung development so i instantly wondered if they meant that could be the youngest born without help.

    You almost rocked my world for a second lol
    Last edited by AGENT J; 12-09-13 at 02:23 AM.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #218
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    re: Catholic hospital 'risked woman's life by forcing her to deliver 18-week fetus[W:465]

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Maybe I am mistaken. It has been many years since I worked in a neonatal unit. I was thinking a couple of them had survived at half-term. Thanks.
    Its generally accepted that 20 weeks (half term) is the minimum. Lungs are the last to develop at 35 weeks or so. That would be amongst the least concerns at 20 weeks though.

  9. #219
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    re: Catholic hospital 'risked woman's life by forcing her to deliver 18-week fetus[W:465]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    no problem i was honestly curious because it would probably definitely impact my stance, i do know the miracle baby (youngest ever) was 21 weeks 5 days and everything i read said 20 weeks would be the earliest because of lung development so i instantly wondered if they meant that could be the youngest born without help.

    You almost rocked my world for a second lol
    Any kid that pre-term would need a lot of help and likely have issues for life.

  10. #220
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    re: Catholic hospital 'risked woman's life by forcing her to deliver 18-week fetus[W:465]

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Any kid that pre-term would need a lot of help and likely have issues for life.
    yes im aware but im not sure what that has to do with anythign, pre term is anything 37 or earlier which is vastly different than 20

    i thought lizzie read something i was unaware of
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Page 22 of 57 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •