Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 221

Thread: Might be a delay getting your Big Mac today.

  1. #81
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Might be a delay getting your Big Mac today.

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    So, my best friend, 7 years admin assist. for a large Corp. has worked her way up to $18 p/h. She drives 45 minutes to the other side of town because its damn hard to find a replacement job. Now she can quit, work at the Mickey Ds down the street and make as much. I'm sure she can handle burger flipping and while her income will be $24 less a day, she'll save a lot not buying nice clthes for work and driving all that way.

    I keep seeing this "living wage" stuff. At $15, that $2600 a month which is well over the welfare total. Or maybe that $15 is supposed to support a family of 5? Even at $8, you're over the welfare rate (for a single person). This makes not very much sense I'm afraid.

    This really needs to be reviewed before a catastrophic decision is made.
    You talk about this scenario as if it's a bad thing. Your friend could do an allegedly easier job and have a better living situation, and that upsets you. Are you sure you're using the word "friend" correctly?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #82
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Might be a delay getting your Big Mac today.

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    At $10, a full time worker makes $1800 a month. If single, they qualify for nothing in welfare. If they are married with kids, they probably (IDK) eligible for food stamps. So, how does this work? A minimum wage based on family size?

    I'm not unsympathetic to the plight of lower income workers. In fact, I'm not unsympathetic to those less fortunate in general. But I see a gross unfairness as a consequence of these machinations. The minimum wage should go up based on the COL. As a SS recipient, I've gotten 2 miniscule increases in 5 years. But now we're giving out 30% increases?

    The largesse never stops for the rich and the "poor". What about us middle-class folks? You know all this generosity, whether a huge minimum wage increase or another 33M bonus for a CEO comes from us? Is that fair or don't we matter in the grand scheme of things?
    You've reminded me of a study done where people are given the option between a large raise, but their neighbor gets a bigger one, and a small raise. Most people choose the small raise.

    "Largesse" for the poor. Jesus Christ. Listen to yourself.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #83
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Might be a delay getting your Big Mac today.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    You talk about this scenario as if it's a bad thing. Your friend could do an allegedly easier job and have a better living situation, and that upsets you. Are you sure you're using the word "friend" correctly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    You've reminded me of a study done where people are given the option between a large raise, but their neighbor gets a bigger one, and a small raise. Most people choose the small raise.

    "Largesse" for the poor. Jesus Christ. Listen to yourself.
    Did you even read what I wrote or just the parts that offended your sensibilities?

  4. #84
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Might be a delay getting your Big Mac today.

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    Did you even read what I wrote or just the parts that offended your sensibilities?
    Yes, you don't want other people to make more money because that's not fair to you. Which, apparently, is "catastrophic."

    You present a situation in which this supposed best friend of yours might have a better life. And then immediately called that decision "catastrophic."

    Oh, and you think being just over the poverty line for a family of four is "largesse."

    By the way: if minimum wage had been indexed to inflation 40 years ago, it would be $10.74.
    Last edited by Deuce; 12-05-13 at 03:40 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #85
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Might be a delay getting your Big Mac today.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Yes, you don't want other people to make more money because that's not fair to you. Which, apparently, is "catastrophic."
    It would be - it's all about "fairness", fair share, fair everything.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  6. #86
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Might be a delay getting your Big Mac today.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Yes, you don't want other people to make more money because that's not fair to you. Which, apparently, is "catastrophic."
    You're being absurd. I'm here for discussion and I try to post thoughtfully. You are just twisting my words for argument sake and I'll just drop out of this conversation since I'd rather not just have that happen.

    If you refuse to look at what I actually said, lets go ahead and assume that I'm anti-poor and a mean old man. Who knows, maybe I'm a Republican at heart?


  7. #87
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,475

    Re: Might be a delay getting your Big Mac today.

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    I packed three lunches today, maybe I need to start charging for my services instead of letting my family exploit me. Them peanut butter sandwiches don't make themselves. Should I go on strike?



    Now give me some support here before a certain someone tells me it's just my womanly job to do it!
    Will you demand 2 hugs per sandwich instead of just 1?

  8. #88
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,475

    Re: Might be a delay getting your Big Mac today.

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryChinaski View Post
    $15 is too much for flipping burgers especially when many skilled trades start off at a wage in that ballpark. They should be thrown a bone though. Give em' a half a buck and move on.
    You do not reward employees for acting like this.

    If the employee was worth more, they would be paid more.

  9. #89
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,475

    Re: Might be a delay getting your Big Mac today.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    And... Automation. Many of these firms are looking into and beginning automation for ordering, paying and cooking. The only job that will be left is the person that gets the order together and hands the bag to the customer. This could cut the number of employees by as much as 80%. In other words, these people are trying to get 80% of their jobs replaced by computers.

    I really like your point though. If a company has to pay $15.00 and hour, the work force available opens up to a hell of a lot of people that are dramatically more qualified and capable than the unskilled hoard that's trying to extort the companies now.

    Maybe if they succeed, they will loose their jobs, get replaced by better people, and my damned order will be correct for once.
    How much would the $15.00 per hour cost the company?

    That money could and should be used to automate. If you are going to spend that money, at least come away with workers that don't complain and screw up.

  10. #90
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Might be a delay getting your Big Mac today.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Yes, you don't want other people to make more money because that's not fair to you. Which, apparently, is "catastrophic."

    You present a situation in which this supposed best friend of yours might have a better life. And then immediately called that decision "catastrophic."

    Oh, and you think being just over the poverty line for a family of four is "largesse."

    By the way: if minimum wage had been indexed to inflation 40 years ago, it would be $10.74.
    He makes a good point. In the short term, her friend would do well to quit the job where she is actually obtaining real skills to go to work at McDonalds and make nearly the same salary. It reduces the amount of people that will try harder and succeed. Yes, there are a lot of people that think that way.

    in the long term, when McDonald's is paying 15/hr - and raising their prices.. The place his friend works will have to pay 40/hr to attract good candidates.

    When that happens, McDonald's employees - even at 15/hr, will shortly be "underpaid" and "on strike" again...

    Add to that and, eventually when labor becomes too expensive, technology will take its place. We see it at grocery stores now - with those awful self checkouts. Those were a response to employee wages.
    Last edited by buck; 12-05-13 at 03:52 PM.

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •