Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 221

Thread: Might be a delay getting your Big Mac today.

  1. #121
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Might be a delay getting your Big Mac today.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Why do you think $15/hour at McDonald's would become underpaid?
    Prices would have to increase to cover the labor costs, other businesses would have to raise their wages to attract employees, which would cause them to have to raise their prices, after all is done and the economy has corrected itself, the $15.00 / hr wage will be poverty again. The way to get out of poverty is to get out of non-skilled jobs, not to make those non-skilled jobs pay more.

  2. #122
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,741

    Re: Might be a delay getting your Big Mac today.

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Prices would have to increase to cover the labor costs, other businesses would have to raise their wages to attract employees, which would cause them to have to raise their prices, after all is done and the economy has corrected itself, the $15.00 / hr wage will be poverty again. The way to get out of poverty is to get out of non-skilled jobs, not to make those non-skilled jobs pay more.
    The price increases wouldn't be as much as you think.
    Also, there's no inherent reason that a "skilled" job must pay a "living wage" but an "unskilled" job can't. We used to have that in this country: someone straight out of high school could get a job in manufacturing that was good enough to raise a family on. No experience, no degree.
    Finally, somebody has to do the "unskilled" jobs or else society doesn't function, and enough "skilled" jobs to go around simply don't exist. So, what, a certain population is just SOL and has to live below the poverty line because alternatives don't exist? When our GDP/capita is nearly $50k, 16% of the population has to live under the poverty line because there just aren't enough jobs that meet your personal standard?

    80 hours a week at minimum wage barely feeds yourself, much less a family. Just how much harder do you think someone should have to work? 100 hours? 120?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #123
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Might be a delay getting your Big Mac today.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    The price increases wouldn't be as much as you think.
    Also, there's no inherent reason that a "skilled" job must pay a "living wage" but an "unskilled" job can't. We used to have that in this country: someone straight out of high school could get a job in manufacturing that was good enough to raise a family on. No experience, no degree.
    Finally, somebody has to do the "unskilled" jobs or else society doesn't function, and enough "skilled" jobs to go around simply don't exist. So, what, a certain population is just SOL and has to live below the poverty line because alternatives don't exist? When our GDP/capita is nearly $50k, 16% of the population has to live under the poverty line because there just aren't enough jobs that meet your personal standard?

    80 hours a week at minimum wage barely feeds yourself, much less a family. Just how much harder do you think someone should have to work?
    Minimum wage jobs, or any entry level job for that matter, is not intended to be one's forever job as the employee does gain experience and skills to move up either with their current employer or another, but what you're advocating is forcing the market to provide an inflated wage for the work being performed relative to the available labor supply...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  4. #124
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,419
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Might be a delay getting your Big Mac today.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Who says they aren't worth it?
    Same people who consider people commodities like 2x4s. Same people cheerfully exploiting the desperate anywhere they can be found. Same people who have been ****ing everything up for millenia:

    The greedy and power hungry.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  5. #125
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Might be a delay getting your Big Mac today.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    The price increases wouldn't be as much as you think.
    Also, there's no inherent reason that a "skilled" job must pay a "living wage" but an "unskilled" job can't.
    There is. Demand, supply both of the labor and the product in question.


    80 hours a week at minimum wage barely feeds yourself, much less a family. Just how much harder do you think someone should have to work? 100 hours? 120?
    They shouldn't have to work at all. Food, clothes, transportation and television are all human rights and the government should provide it to everyone.

    I just read a story on Huffpo about the strikers, and one of the examples they gave was some woman couldn't make enough working at McD's to support her and her three kids. It's just not fair, right?

    Edited to add her quote:
    Sanny Velezquez, a 34-year-old Los Angeles McDonald's employee, said she skipped work Thursday to protest. She said she's struggling to afford basic necessities for herself and her three kids on an $8.70 per hour wage.
    Last edited by buck; 12-05-13 at 10:12 PM. Reason: uote:

  6. #126
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Might be a delay getting your Big Mac today.

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    If they are smart, every fast food joint impacted will have already sent out notices that failure to show for an assigned shift will result in a termination.
    Places like McDonald's usually have it in their work policy that employees can't be fired without prior incidence. I'll ask one of my nephews who works there tonight. I'm almost convinced you have to miss a day without notice, they have to give you a warning and then you have to miss another day for the firing to occur.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #127
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,741

    Re: Might be a delay getting your Big Mac today.

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Minimum wage jobs, or any entry level job for that matter, is not intended to be one's forever job as the employee does gain experience and skills to move up either with their current employer or another, but what you're advocating is forcing the market to provide an inflated wage for the work being performed relative to the available labor supply...
    Which might be an argument if there were enough jobs around that paid better.

    But there aren't. No matter how hard anyone works, there will always be fewer jobs than there are workers. Let alone "good" jobs.

    Your fairytale universe in which everyone is paid on merit? Never existed.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #128
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,522

    Re: Might be a delay getting your Big Mac today.

    I've had a few tech jobs repairing computers, and they currently pay around $14 p/hr for part time work. So, there is no way that flippin' burgers is worth $15 an hour. Are you going to run to McDonalds when your laptop won't boot and you need it for school/work? All the tech guys will be working there instead.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  9. #129
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,248

    Re: Might be a delay getting your Big Mac today.

    Ironically McDonalds workers get paid much better in many countries outside of the US and the same goes for companies like Walmart. You would think they would be looking after their own first.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  10. #130
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Might be a delay getting your Big Mac today.

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    Ironically McDonalds workers get paid much better in many countries outside of the US and the same goes for companies like Walmart. You would think they would be looking after their own first.
    And because they are forced to pay more in those countries, they raised prices and replaced many employees with tech:
    McDonald's hires 7,000 touch-screen cashiers | Crave - CNET

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •