Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 364

Thread: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

  1. #81
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    05-17-18 @ 10:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    30,560

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Logically that is incoherent.
    It was considered fiction, is that better? It doesn't improve your performance with regard to the validity of the Bible one bit.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! SpkOut me!

  2. #82
    Rule of Two
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,457

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Logically that is incoherent.
    Actually, it's pretty coherent. Something can be considered fiction until scientific evidence for it is found. One good example of this are cryptids:

    List of cryptids - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Cryptids are animals alleged to exist without proof. Mermaids? They remain cryptids (myth).The Okapi? Animal proven to exist in Africa. Formerly a myth.
    Peace is a lie. There is only Passion. Through Passion I gain Strength. Through Strength I gain Power. Through Power I gain Victory. Through Victory my chains are Broken. The Force shall free me.

  3. #83
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    85,112

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Do you understand how fallacies work? Here is how your fallacy currently works: Group X believes Y. Group Z also believes Y. Because both groups believe Y, the belief must be true and based on evidence. However, neither group provides evidence for Y other than a circular reasoning (i.e. it's true because we believe in it, we believe in it because it's true) and you're relying on an argumentum ad populum (that being: it's true because many people believe in it). All without ever providing a shred of tangible evidence. It has been a pleasure destroying your argument.
    Do you understand that the concesus among historians is that Jesus existed?

    Or, are they all wrong and some dude on the internet is right?

    Get back to us when you come up with a real argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    So there is absolutely no evidence this woman, whom you called a slut, did this but you are ready to take someone's word as evidence. Guess you don't think witch hunts have to end when it's going after the certain people.

  4. #84
    Rule of Two
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,457

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Do you understand that the concesus among historians is that Jesus existed?
    This is the 4th time you rely on argumentum ad populum. Why do you do this to yourself?
    Peace is a lie. There is only Passion. Through Passion I gain Strength. Through Strength I gain Power. Through Power I gain Victory. Through Victory my chains are Broken. The Force shall free me.

  5. #85
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    05-17-18 @ 10:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    30,560

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Do you understand that the concesus among historians is that Jesus existed?

    Or, are they all wrong and some dude on the internet is right?

    Get back to us when you come up with a real argument.
    Actually, that's not really the case. There may be a consensus among Christians who happen to be historians, but not among mainstream historians. Besides, it still doesn't matter because you're citing opinion instead of evidence. You must really get tired of stumbling into every logical fallacy in the book.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! SpkOut me!

  6. #86
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    60,031
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    That's nice, but all you're doing is relying on a combination of an ad populum/ad auctoritate. My thoughts on Jesus have always been the same:

    Guy going around claiming to be X.
    Was he X? No.
    Is there proof he was X? No.
    Has any group provided tangible evidence he was X? No.
    I'm agnostic and I really don't care, but serious people take the question seriously, so I respect their convictions.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  7. #87
    Rule of Two
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,457

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Actually, that's not really the case. There may be a consensus among Christians who happen to be historians, but not among mainstream historians. Besides, it still doesn't matter because you're citing opinion instead of evidence. You must really get tired of stumbling into every logical fallacy in the book.
    I would say there is little doubt a guy named Jesus existed that caused some issues for the Romans somewhere in the 1st century. However, I'm far more convinced that this guy didn't hold any of the mythical powers described in the bible. What are the odds of a Jewish preacher reaching the status of savior in Rome - the same place where far more popular religious preachers failed? Very slim.
    Peace is a lie. There is only Passion. Through Passion I gain Strength. Through Strength I gain Power. Through Power I gain Victory. Through Victory my chains are Broken. The Force shall free me.

  8. #88
    Rule of Two
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,457

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    I'm agnostic and I really don't care, but serious people take the question seriously, so I respect their convictions.
    Revere no true Scottsman? Well played You and apdst should form a team on who can spit out the most fallacies in 1 page.
    Peace is a lie. There is only Passion. Through Passion I gain Strength. Through Strength I gain Power. Through Power I gain Victory. Through Victory my chains are Broken. The Force shall free me.

  9. #89
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    85,112

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Actually, that's not really the case. There may be a consensus among Christians who happen to be historians, but not among mainstream historians. Besides, it still doesn't matter because you're citing opinion instead of evidence. You must really get tired of stumbling into every logical fallacy in the book.
    Le!s see your evidence that that's not the case
    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    So there is absolutely no evidence this woman, whom you called a slut, did this but you are ready to take someone's word as evidence. Guess you don't think witch hunts have to end when it's going after the certain people.

  10. #90
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    60,031
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Revere no true Scottsman? Well played You and apdst should form a team on who can spit out the most fallacies in 1 page.
    Sorry, but I found this post unintelligible.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •