Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 364

Thread: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

  1. #71
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:03 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,272
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    It isn't that interesting at the moment...
    WE know thanks to all that high tech spying we do. We are liberals, we can make it better. Just stock up on soap to drop in the shower, and a good water based lube and you will be having more fun than ever!
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #72
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:21 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,795

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    WE know thanks to all that high tech spying we do. We are liberals, we can make it better. Just stock up on soap to drop in the shower, and a good water based lube and you will be having more fun than ever!
    Then it wouldn't be interesting and it would be disgusting...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #73
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,714

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    About him? That's definitely open to debate. However, it's a known fact that a man, who was considered a profit, named Jesus of Nazareth lived. The Christians wrote of his existence, the Romans wrote of his existence and the Muslims wrote of his existence.

    Historicity of Jesus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Yes, they wrote of his existence. Which is why I said he probably did exist.

    Other people wrote about a guy who built an ark and put way, way too many animals on it before the entire world flooded. This never happened.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #74
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,714

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    All in an effort to steam roll over smaller businesses, drive them out of business and then force a monopoly onto consumers...
    How does paying employees more than minimum wage and offering health insurance drive out smaller businesses?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #75
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Very good that you know that. That further proves my point. There was obviously solid evidence and common knowledge that he existed for Islam to recognize him as a profit.
    Do you understand how fallacies work? Here is how your fallacy currently works: Group X believes Y. Group Z also believes Y. Because both groups believe Y, the belief must be true and based on evidence. However, neither group provides evidence for Y other than a circular reasoning (i.e. it's true because we believe in it, we believe in it because it's true) and you're relying on an argumentum ad populum (that being: it's true because many people believe in it). All without ever providing a shred of tangible evidence. It has been a pleasure destroying your argument.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #76
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    However, it's a known fact that a man, who was considered a profit, named Jesus of Nazareth lived.
    So Jesus was a capitalist after all!

  7. #77
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,737
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Do you understand how fallacies work? Here is how your fallacy currently works: Group X believes Y. Group Z also believes Y. Because both groups believe Y, the belief must be true and based on evidence. However, neither group provides evidence for Y other than a circular reasoning (i.e. it's true because we believe in it, we believe in it because it's true) and you're relying on an argumentum ad populum (that being: it's true because many people believe in it). All without ever providing a shred of tangible evidence. It has been a pleasure destroying your argument.
    Reza Aslan apparently believes he existed. People seem to take him seriously.


    1. News for jesus zealot


      1. Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
        ABC Online ‎- 3 days ago
        Sundays at 9pm on triple j. Religion, Politics and all things ethnic - with John Safran and Father Bob.
    2. Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth - Wikipedia, the free ...

      en.wikipedia.org/.../Zealot:_The_Life_and_Times_of_Jesus_of_Nazareth‎
      Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth is a book by Iranian-American writer and scholar Reza Aslan. It is a historical account of the life of Jesus and ...


    3. Debunking the debunker: Reza Aslan's 'Zealot ' vs. the Real Jesus ...

      www.catholicnewsagency.com › ColumnsGuest Columnist
      Nov 7, 2013 - When I saw that Reza Aslan's portrait of “Jesus, Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth,” had risen to number one on the New York ...


    4. Reza Aslan's, Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth ...

      www.huffingtonpost.com/.../reza-aslans-zealot-the-li_b_3839005.html‎
      Sep 3, 2013 - The author's source material is familiar to scholars; however, for this reviewer, at times it was interpreted too broadly.


    5. Reza Aslan on Jesus the Zealot The Santa Barbara Independent

      www.independent.com › Arts & EntertainmentBooks & Poetry
      Oct 31, 2013 - The best-selling author with UCSB ties discusses the political messiah and why academia hates popularity.


    6. 'Zealot - The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth' - NYTimes.com

      www.nytimes.com/.../reza-aslans-zealot-the-life-and-times-of-jesus-of-nazar...
      Review by DALE B. MARTIN
      Aug 5, 2013 - "Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth," Reza Aslan's new book, is based on both fact and speculation.

    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  8. #78
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Because the oral tradition renders anything garbage. I guess that they were right about the Iliad being complete fiction, oh wait!
    The Iliad was fiction until they found specific objective evidence to support it. Let us know when you find that evidence for Jesus.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  9. #79
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    The Iliad was fiction until they found specific objective evidence to support it. Let us know when you find that evidence for Jesus.
    Logically that is incoherent.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  10. #80
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Reza Aslan apparently believes he existed. People seem to take him seriously.
    That's nice, but all you're doing is relying on a combination of an ad populum/ad auctoritate. My thoughts on Jesus have always been the same:

    Guy going around claiming to be X.
    Was he X? No.
    Is there proof he was X? No.
    Has any group provided tangible evidence he was X? No.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •