Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 364

Thread: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

  1. #331
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Perhaps it is a fact to them.


    That's right. Because many will follow those parts of the teachings which inspire them, which is generally to be found in the NT.

    Others can believe in God without following any religion. Or enjoy parts of a Holy Book while ignoring others. You seems to be looking at a 'one size fits all' situation but it is seldom there.
    Actually, I have no problem personally with religion. Where I have a problem with it is when Christians (and yes followers of Islam) tell others they cannot do something because they bible prohibits it.

  2. #332
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,662

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    I dont know all the different categories available to Costco but I would cross-reference with Religion, Philosophy, and History.

    Much of the Bible is corroborated the way history often is...by the writings of the people who experienced it, so that does apply IMO.

    But I dont know why there isnt/cant be a category for Religion or at least combined Religion/Philosophy....there would be plenty to fill it.

    (Apologies, I only scanned the thread)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #333
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:14 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,244

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    I wonder how atheism is labeled?
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  4. #334
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Actually, I have no problem personally with religion. Where I have a problem with it is when Christians (and yes followers of Islam) tell others they cannot do something because they bible prohibits it.
    Do you have an example?

  5. #335
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:14 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,244

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Yes, that's true. Perhaps those in countries where other religions are forbidden might also have their own beliefs, but are only forbidden to share them.
    Well really I am making a comment on "entitled." To say we are not entitled to our beliefs is a wholly incorrect statement (assuming we are any members of a free society that grants freedom of religion).
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  6. #336
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Do you have an example?
    SSM, the argument for many Christians is that it shouldn't be allowed because the bible prohibits it.

  7. #337
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    Well really I am making a comment on "entitled." To say we are not entitled to our beliefs is a wholly incorrect statement (assuming we are any members of a free society that grants freedom of religion).
    Then you get into the area of whether we can actually control our own beliefs. Studies have been done where they can exert pressures on different parts of the brain and our attitudes can be subtly changed. That raises the question of free will and all sorts of interesting idea of who or what is really in control of who we really are.

    Conservatives and Liberals Have Different Brains, Studies Show - ABC News

  8. #338
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    Actually anyone who is an American in this thread IS, by the very definition of the word, entitled to their religious beliefs. I'm pretty sure most countries would grant such freedoms too (if they are Western Nations).
    There's a difference between freedom and entitlement.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  9. #339
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    SSM, the argument for many Christians is that it shouldn't be allowed because the bible prohibits it.
    It is not only Christians who share that belief. Other religions and cultures do as well. Many are against Gay marriage because they feel tradition and the family are important to the social structure. It is not necessarily anti Gay but also pro traditional marriage.

  10. #340
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    It is not only Christians who share that belief. Other religions and cultures do as well. Many are against Gay marriage because they feel tradition and the family are important to the social structure. It is not necessarily anti Gay but also pro traditional marriage.
    Yes, I realize it isn't the only religion who shares that belief, however, it proves my point that people are using a fictional book to justify making SSM illegal. Also they use the bible (and other fictional texts as you point out) as a justification for traditional marriage.

    As I said before, I have no problem with religion personally, but when someone tells others that they cannot do something because of their fictional book, that is wrong. Just because many people do it, doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •