Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 364

Thread: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

  1. #161
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Indeed. I am sure it was handed down for a long time before it was written down. Does that make it less interesting?
    I never claimed the bible was not interesting, but any work is true except for the parts that are not true, and saying it is the only one to do something that others did as well is hardly a point in it's favor. From a historical and scientific standpoint, the bible has only a very tenuous connection with history, less than most historical novels.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #162
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,539
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Who acknowledges it as such? Considering all the stories in the bible that are scientifically disproven(day and night, not to mention plants, before there was a sun) or at odds with archeological findings, it would be much more accurate to say that the bible is at odds with the authorities on history. It certainly is not the authority as you claim.
    Scientific proof is irrelevant. Believers hold the Bible to be authoritative. If you mean to deliberately antagonize and insult those people then you will be deserving of the same sort of treatment.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  3. #163
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    Scientific proof is irrelevant. Believers hold the Bible to be authoritative. If you mean to antagonize and insult those people then be my guest, but you will be deserving of the same sort of treatment.
    They are certainly allowed to believe what they want. It does not make it factual. This might be a complex concept, but facts are not subject to a popularity contest. You cannot take a vote and make the world flat.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #164
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    Scientific proof is irrelevant. Believers hold the Bible to be authoritative. If you mean to deliberately antagonize and insult those people then you will be deserving of the same sort of treatment.
    It is not an insult to accept the scientific fact the earth is roughly 4.5 billion years old vs 6k or so years old. It simply is a fact

  5. #165
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,539
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Which is again why they had to make a seperate section for it, because they care about making money. But since we are on a debate forum, we are debating whether they would be justified in labeling it fiction.
    They have the right to label it any way they want -- and then they can face the consequences. Meanwhile, how about the Koran? You think that they'd label it "fiction"? Or "toilet paper"? They could hang a copy on a hook next to the toilet. Maybe it would be fun to insult people like that, you think?

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  6. #166
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,539
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    It is not an insult to accept the scientific fact the earth is roughly 4.5 billion years old vs 6k or so years old. It simply is a fact
    It's not an insult. It's irrelevant.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  7. #167
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,539
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    They are certainly allowed to believe what they want. It does not make it factual. This might be a complex concept, but facts are not subject to a popularity contest. You cannot take a vote and make the world flat.
    Ok, then, let's consider some facts. Christians believe that God exists, Jesus walked as a man and now sits in Heaven with God. You got any proof that they are wrong? You have a scientific method that can disprove those facts? Believers have all the proof they need and see no need to turn to science for it.

    The official position of the Roman Catholic Church is that any beliefs that appear to contradict the scientific physical facts of the world are mistaken. Mistaken interpretation, mistaken exegesis, mistaken hermeneutics, etc. Lots of primitive fundamentalists don't agree with that, but many mainline Protestant churches do.

    Anything science proves they will agree is true.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  8. #168
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,539
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    It's not pointlessly and needlessly argumentative because the difference between faith, mythology and history are not different only by virtue of semantics. They're very, very different things. And the bible is the authority on Christian faith, not history.
    For Christians it is an authoritative history. THE history.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  9. #169
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:07 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,244

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryChinaski View Post
    Costco -- the Bible is fiction | Fox News I have no opinion on this but does anyone have any outrage to share?
    It is incredibly disrespectful. I won't be shopping there.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  10. #170
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:07 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,244

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    It is not an insult to accept the scientific fact the earth is roughly 4.5 billion years old vs 6k or so years old. It simply is a fact
    Do you think all Christians believe that?
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •