Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 364

Thread: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

  1. #131
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    491

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    What a bunch of nonsense.

    We Christians don't believe the Bible to be true because of where it sits in a book rack.

    If anything, these subtle attacks on the veracity of the Bible, and those who believe it to be true bolster (my) belief.

    Nothing proves the Bible more than the behavior of those who go against it's instruction.

    So please ... put it in the "too dumb to think" section, which is exactly what they WANT to do; and the outcome will be to create more Christians! An unstoppable faith, really.

    (which is why we end up staring death in the face throughout history, we're annoying, and unstoppable, and I'm loving every minute of it Jerry)

    “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me.

    Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you."

    Now clearly, this isn't persecution. It's just nonsense. But still, these words from Jesus show that we EXPECT to be insulted - so labeling the Bible "fiction" should be no surprise and no Christian should react negatively to it!

    Rather "rejoice"
    Last edited by SingleCellOrganism; 12-06-13 at 01:26 PM.

  2. #132
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    Yes, and the owner would suffer the consequences of antagonising a large number of potential customers. The Bible is not fiction, it is history. That's what it is intended to be. To say otherwise is to needlessly insult a lot of people, and that would be a sorry, low class thing to do.
    Well, no, history has to actually be supported by facts, and the bible doesn't qualify.

    Look, if you just keep it to "faith" then no one can touch you. If you say, "That's my faith," there's nothing that anybody can challenge you on. You're immune.

  3. #133
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,028

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    Completely unnecessary the tact you are taking.
    Usually I am very tactful (on a whole, not always though ) but the bible is one of those things I am not that tactful about. The bible has cost thousands upon thousands of lives and people treat it like it was a history book even though there is no evidence that the events written in it ever took place (some things might but most of them are without any evidence whatsoever).

    If people use the book as a source of inspiration of how they personally want to live that is up to them but using it as a doctrine of how we all have to live is not OK IMHO.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  4. #134
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    491

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    Usually I am very tactful (on a whole, not always though ) but the bible is one of those things I am not that tactful about. The bible has cost thousands upon thousands of lives and people treat it like it was a history book even though there is no evidence that the events written in it ever took place (some things might but most of them are without any evidence whatsoever).

    If people use the book as a source of inspiration of how they personally want to live that is up to them but using it as a doctrine of how we all have to live is not OK IMHO.
    That isn't true.

    Modern archeology has uncovered hundreds of historical proofs of the Bible.

    Biblical archaeology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    The bible is literally the most intact ancient historical source we have!

    (discount the miraculous events, if you want, which are .01% of the record)

  5. #135
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    Usually I am very tactful (on a whole, not always though ) but the bible is one of those things I am not that tactful about. The bible has cost thousands upon thousands of lives and people treat it like it was a history book even though there is no evidence that the events written in it ever took place (some things might but most of them are without any evidence whatsoever).

    If people use the book as a source of inspiration of how they personally want to live that is up to them but using it as a doctrine of how we all have to live is not OK IMHO.
    How someone uses the book doesn't define it either. I don't care how someone uses it. They can use it as a booster for all I care. It is a book. And it is in the realm of what is fact for me may not be for you...so it may be fiction and non-fiction in the same house. Trying to force the label I believe in on other people is just as bad as some of the events you are referring too when you say the bible has cost thousands of lives. Do you believe in the bible...no...bang, you are dead...next...do you? Yup, you live.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  6. #136
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,787

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Here un the real world, you're not right, just because you say so.
    And neither is Christianity.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  7. #137
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,031

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    Why would you try to define that for someone else?
    To make it easier for someone to locate it.

  8. #138
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,031

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by SingleCellOrganism View Post
    That isn't true.

    Modern archeology has uncovered hundreds of historical proofs of the Bible.

    Biblical archaeology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    The bible is literally the most intact ancient historical source we have!

    (discount the miraculous events, if you want, which are .01% of the record)
    There are plenty of fictional novels about New York City. That does not make them history books. History books contain factual information collected through research. The bible claims to be a story told to someone who then wrote it down.

  9. #139
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,560
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Well, no, history has to actually be supported by facts, and the bible doesn't qualify.

    Look, if you just keep it to "faith" then no one can touch you. If you say, "That's my faith," there's nothing that anybody can challenge you on. You're immune.
    Pointlessly and needlessly argumentative. We get that there is disbelief here, but the Bible is the authority and is so acknowledged by the multitudes. It's sophomoric to go around tweeking noses.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  10. #140
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:29 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,325
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Costco labels bibles "Fiction"

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    Pointlessly and needlessly argumentative. We get that there is disbelief here, but the Bible is the authority and is so acknowledged by the multitudes. It's sophomoric to go around tweeking noses.
    Who acknowledges it as such? Considering all the stories in the bible that are scientifically disproven(day and night, not to mention plants, before there was a sun) or at odds with archeological findings, it would be much more accurate to say that the bible is at odds with the authorities on history. It certainly is not the authority as you claim.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •