Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 186

Thread: Teens in Asia dominate global test; US stagnant

  1. #61
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,262

    Re: Teens in Asia dominate global test; US stagnant

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    So, if we pick the schools and filter out the underachievers, like China does, we will be #1!
    Teachers union officials need to be brought to justice for the damage they've caused the US educational system. Nothing less than prison will do.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #62
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,552

    Re: Teens in Asia dominate global test; US stagnant

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Teachers union officials need to be brought to justice for the damage they've caused the US educational system. Nothing less than prison will do.
    The teacher's unions simply enjoy the power granted to them by the gov't; the ability to contribute to the campaign of those that they negotiate with, taken from the checks written by those that they negotiate with but bearing the names of those that they represent. It is a wonderful, closed loop, system, totally funded by tax money, that may only be interrupted with elections of new public representatives, in hopes that they will actually care about the best interest of the public more than the massive campaign donations offered by the teacher's union.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  3. #63
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: Teens in Asia dominate global test; US stagnant

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Yes, it would seem the plan here in the land of the Progressive Machine, is that schools are the family, and parents are just in the way.

    When one considers the union manpower required to fulfill all the programs the "rich" are required to pay for, the plan becomes quite clear.

    What we hear, is despite spending more per student than just about any school district in the country, including D.C., the answer to the almost 50% drop out rate is, surprise, more spending.
    Many kids know where their bread is buttered, from government cheese. Those in our growing entitlement culture have little motivation to succeed, which is learned from parent behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

  4. #64
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,262

    Re: Teens in Asia dominate global test; US stagnant

    Quote Originally Posted by Μολὼν λαβέ View Post
    Many kids know where their bread is buttered, from government cheese. Those in our growing entitlement culture have little motivation to succeed, which is learned from parent behavior.
    ****ing BINGO!!!!!
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #65
    Educator

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    09-07-14 @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,037

    Re: Teens in Asia dominate global test; US stagnant

    Quote Originally Posted by Anomalism View Post
    This is what happens when you wage war on teachers and education.
    I'm curious how you define this "war," and what the solution is.

    I can garner a guess the latter involves more $.

  6. #66
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Teens in Asia dominate global test; US stagnant

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Teachers union officials need to be brought to justice for the damage they've caused the US educational system. Nothing less than prison will do.
    That's the Department of Education and the way we fund our public schools.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #67
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,262

    Re: Teens in Asia dominate global test; US stagnant

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    That's the Department of Education and the way we fund our public schools.
    Most funding comes from the state.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Teens in Asia dominate global test; US stagnant

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Exactly. For example, here in Southern California, the Los Angeles Unified School District is so desperate to remove the impediment of parents in the "education" of the children, they provide year round meals, 7 days a week to students throughout the district.

    Here is an article from a local newspaper outlining the program.


    Free Food for Kids and Teens During the Summer

    The school year is over, but that doesn't mean children and teens should go hungry if they don't have food at home.

    The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD), under its after-school program "Beyond the Bell," began offering a free breakfast and lunch program this week to all kids ages 1 to 18, regardless if they are LAUSD students or not.

    "Many of our students, who rely on school breakfast and lunch during the school year, cannot maintain that energy during the summer if they do not receive the proper nutrition. That's where we come in, by providing nutritious meals to keep kids nourished and healthy during the long summer months," said LAUSD Food Services Director David Binkle.

    More than 100 district schools offer the summer meal services program, which runs until Aug. 1. Among them are Arminta Elementary in North Hollywood, Broadous Elementary in Pacoima, Canoga Park Elementary in Canoga Park, O'Melveny and San Fernando Elementary in San Fernando, Van Nuys Middle School, Sun Valley Middle School and Sylmar High School.

    Gee, parents don't even have to worry about feeding their children any more. Add in the clothes program, and what the heck, parents are only needed to provide the DNA for future minions of the Progressive Machine. Well, in fairness, they are also needed as a means to coodinate state provided shelter for the future minions as well.
    True, and they spend 16K per year on each pupil. Its not a money thing-Utah for years was near the top nationally with very little spent per pupil.
    Liberals can't explain it, and unions oppose any competition that might improve things. Gotta love CA's special interest groups.

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Teens in Asia dominate global test; US stagnant

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Exactly. For example, here in Southern California, the Los Angeles Unified School District is so desperate to remove the impediment of parents in the "education" of the children, they provide year round meals, 7 days a week to students throughout the district.

    Here is an article from a local newspaper outlining the program.


    Free Food for Kids and Teens During the Summer

    The school year is over, but that doesn't mean children and teens should go hungry if they don't have food at home.

    The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD), under its after-school program "Beyond the Bell," began offering a free breakfast and lunch program this week to all kids ages 1 to 18, regardless if they are LAUSD students or not.

    "Many of our students, who rely on school breakfast and lunch during the school year, cannot maintain that energy during the summer if they do not receive the proper nutrition. That's where we come in, by providing nutritious meals to keep kids nourished and healthy during the long summer months," said LAUSD Food Services Director David Binkle.

    More than 100 district schools offer the summer meal services program, which runs until Aug. 1. Among them are Arminta Elementary in North Hollywood, Broadous Elementary in Pacoima, Canoga Park Elementary in Canoga Park, O'Melveny and San Fernando Elementary in San Fernando, Van Nuys Middle School, Sun Valley Middle School and Sylmar High School.

    Gee, parents don't even have to worry about feeding their children any more. Add in the clothes program, and what the heck, parents are only needed to provide the DNA for future minions of the Progressive Machine. Well, in fairness, they are also needed as a means to coodinate state provided shelter for the future minions as well.
    So giving food to hungry children is a bad thing?

  10. #70
    Global Moderator
    Custom User Title
    LaughAtTheWorld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seoul/Chicago
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 01:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,541

    Re: Teens in Asia dominate global test; US stagnant

    One has to only look at this thread to see why US education is failing.
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all" - Joan Robinson
    "The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries" - Winston Churchill

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •