Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 86

Thread: U.S. justices decline to hear another Obamacare challenge

  1. #11
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,844

    Re: U.S. justices decline to hear another Obamacare challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    You didn't read it obviously, but thanks for coming in with the media matters/msnbc silliniess.
    The Individual mandate is a tax only by the asstastic legal manipulations of John Roberts.
    It's a penalty up to $695, assessed only on your tax return. Waived if you have insurance. There is no other enforcement mechanism. Criminal charges are expressly prevented. Only your tax return can be reduced, they can't even garnish wages. Explain to us how you think that's substantively different from what the heritage idiot supported.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: U.S. justices decline to hear another Obamacare challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    It's a penalty up to $695, assessed only on your tax return. Waived if you have insurance. There is no other enforcement mechanism. Criminal charges are expressly prevented. Only your tax return can be reduced, they can't even garnish wages. Explain to us how you think that's substantively different from what the heritage idiot supported.
    Additionally, the meaning of the individual mandate we are said to have "invented" has changed over time. Today it means the government makes people buy comprehensive benefits for their own good, rather than our original emphasis on protecting society from the heavy medical costs of free riders.
    Moreover, I agree with my legal colleagues at Heritage that today's version of a mandate exceeds the constitutional powers granted to the federal government. Forcing those Americans not in the insurance market to purchase comprehensive insurance for themselves goes beyond even the most expansive precedents of the courts.
    Reading, it's good to do.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  3. #13
    User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    53

    Re: U.S. justices decline to hear another Obamacare challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Birth control isn't always about recreation. The pill is often used for the prevention of ovarian cysts, among other strictly medical uses.

    It's also not always cheap. Sometimes the medical uses require the more costly versions.

    Also, it's cheaper than having babies. Would you rather pay for a pill or a birth?

    From what i can tell most dont care what happens to the kids after birth. Thats why they cut billions from all the social programs. The only thing that seems to matter is "controlling other evil sexual desires".

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    12-10-13 @ 12:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    74

    Re: U.S. justices decline to hear another Obamacare challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    That was the Republicans' last chance to kill Obamacare in it's entirety. However, there are still 2 cases that will be decided by June that deal with employers who don't want Obamacare to cover contraception, based on religious grounds.

    I am still amazed at why the GOP is trying so hard to kill a law that was conceived by the Heritage Foundation. Obamacare is virtually that same plan. And let's face it. Although some aspects of Obamacare have been a fiasco, Americans should act like Americans, and not let people die simply because they don't make enough money to afford insurance.

    So here is my question. If not Obamacare, then what? I would like to hear some good answers on this question. We should act like civilized people, and not as barbarians and animals. For now, despite it's many problems, I think Obamacare is OK, until something better comes along.

    Article is here.
    You need to check your sources and facts mate. There are several challenges still to go (courtwise) with regard to the ACA. NPR ran a thorough lengthy report on the various remaining challenges just today, you are putting the cart before the horse.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: U.S. justices decline to hear another Obamacare challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    That was the Republicans' last chance to kill Obamacare in it's entirety. However, there are still 2 cases that will be decided by June that deal with employers who don't want Obamacare to cover contraception, based on religious grounds.

    I am still amazed at why the GOP is trying so hard to kill a law that was conceived by the Heritage Foundation. Obamacare is virtually that same plan. And let's face it. Although some aspects of Obamacare have been a fiasco, Americans should act like Americans, and not let people die simply because they don't make enough money to afford insurance.

    So here is my question. If not Obamacare, then what? I would like to hear some good answers on this question. We should act like civilized people, and not as barbarians and animals. For now, despite it's many problems, I think Obamacare is OK, until something better comes along.

    Article is here.
    So so much fail. Its not over for obamacare-certainly it is still capable of being overturned.

    And the heritage foundation line is bull**** as well-this law is entirely a dem baby.

  6. #16
    Educator

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Kingdom of Nigh
    Last Seen
    10-13-17 @ 11:25 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,152

    Re: U.S. justices decline to hear another Obamacare challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    That was the Republicans' last chance to kill Obamacare in it's entirety. However, there are still 2 cases that will be decided by June that deal with employers who don't want Obamacare to cover contraception, based on religious grounds.

    I am still amazed at why the GOP is trying so hard to kill a law that was conceived by the Heritage Foundation. Obamacare is virtually that same plan. And let's face it. Although some aspects of Obamacare have been a fiasco, Americans should act like Americans, and not let people die simply because they don't make enough money to afford insurance.

    So here is my question. If not Obamacare, then what? I would like to hear some good answers on this question. We should act like civilized people, and not as barbarians and animals. For now, despite it's many problems, I think Obamacare is OK, until something better comes along.

    Article is here.
    The law is not a Heritage Foundation idea....good grief, the idea of universal HC has been around since the 60's. Every "think tank" has their own version of it. Hell, 23 years ago they were calling it Hillarycare.

    But this law...ACA...is nothing like anyone had envisioned.
    Know the truth and the truth will make you mad, because the truth has no agenda.

  7. #17
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:43 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,603

    Re: U.S. justices decline to hear another Obamacare challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I am still amazed at why the GOP is trying so hard to kill a law that was conceived by the Heritage Foundation.
    Shouldn't you be amazed that the Democrats are clinging so hard to a "Heritage Foundation Idea" (tm) that's failing miserably?
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  8. #18
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,844

    Re: U.S. justices decline to hear another Obamacare challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Reading, it's good to do.
    You're suddenly changing your argument. Before, you objected on some tax basis. Now you're quoting something different. I assume this means you've abandoned the previous one.

    He's suggesting the motive makes it different. And you bought it. The ACA still accomplishes the task of protecting society from the free riders by pushing them towards health insurance instead of dumping the cost on the rest of us. Except better, because comprehensive insurance dumps fewer costs onto other people. But I already responded to this, so yes, reading is good to do. Why didn't you take your own advice.

    And then he suggests that "forcing" people to buy comprehensive insurance is unconstitutional, but it's totally ok to make them buy catastrophic insurance. Go ahead and elaborate on that, MrV.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #19
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,844

    Re: U.S. justices decline to hear another Obamacare challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Imnukingfutz View Post
    The law is not a Heritage Foundation idea....good grief, the idea of universal HC has been around since the 60's. Every "think tank" has their own version of it. Hell, 23 years ago they were calling it Hillarycare.

    But this law...ACA...is nothing like anyone had envisioned.
    The heritage idea wasn't UHC, nor is the ACA. Heritage's idea was an alternative to "HillaryCare" presented by the GOP. It included a mandate to buy health insurance, enforced by removing tax benefits from people who failed to get insurance. And provided tax credits to help those who had trouble affording insurance. You're telling me this is "nothing like" the ACA?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  10. #20
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,153

    Re: U.S. justices decline to hear another Obamacare challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    That was the Republicans' last chance to kill Obamacare in it's entirety. However, there are still 2 cases that will be decided by June that deal with employers who don't want Obamacare to cover contraception, based on religious grounds.

    I am still amazed at why the GOP is trying so hard to kill a law that was conceived by the Heritage Foundation. Obamacare is virtually that same plan. And let's face it. Although some aspects of Obamacare have been a fiasco, Americans should act like Americans, and not let people die simply because they don't make enough money to afford insurance.

    So here is my question.
    If not Obamacare, then what? I would like to hear some good answers on this question. We should act like civilized people, and not as barbarians and animals. For now, despite it's many problems, I think Obamacare is OK, until something better comes along.

    Article is here.
    medicare for all citizens and legal aliens, without regard to age
    our nation's own version of single payer coverage


    and i was initially outraged at ACA, believing it to be a plum given over to the insurance industry
    however, by having insurers administer this program, that eliminated the need for a federal bureauracy to oversee it
    and we know how ineffective government is in that role
    instead, we now have competitive forces moving health care towards more efficiency while the insurers' portion of premiums used for profit and administrative costs cannot exceed 20% ... likely less that what a government bureauracy would cost
    maybe the heritage foundation and the Obama administration got this right
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •