Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 314

Thread: Seattle Restaurant Ejects Customer Wearing Google Glass

  1. #231
    Antichrist
    zgoldsmith23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    TN
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 12:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,692

    Re: Seattle Restaurant Ejects Customer Wearing Google Glass

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Can you quote in the story where it says that? I just re-read the article and it didn't say anything like that and the user in question's facebook page is currently "unavailable". Please don't make things up...
    Quote what it does from the story? No. But I am also mildly familiar with the item.

    See this. What it Does ? Google Glass
    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I've never denied my own hackish tendencies
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin dÁr View Post
    scientific by itself isn't enough of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by blaxshep View Post
    Not all Nazis were bad people

  2. #232
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,999

    Re: Seattle Restaurant Ejects Customer Wearing Google Glass

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    So why can't a restaurant owner do the same? There are many things that people don't want videoed in a business setting?

    There is personal information that can be used to steal identity.

    Some control over information must be had to protect customers.
    I would also add that you're going to have a harder time convincing people that their smart devices and Google glasses hinder the functionality of a restaurant-going experience as much as it would a movie-going experience.

  3. #233
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    11-12-16 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Seattle Restaurant Ejects Customer Wearing Google Glass

    I believe more stylish glasses would have been more socially acceptable.

  4. #234
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,966

    Re: Seattle Restaurant Ejects Customer Wearing Google Glass

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    I think the Google Glass is much worse as what you are videoing can be upload directly to Google and social media. No decision has to be made, it just happens.
    Well, decision does have to get made. Pictures are uploaded into a private gallery, for them to be shared the user would need to make choices and take some kind of action. That's no different than if you were taking hte picture with your S4

  5. #235
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,966

    Re: Seattle Restaurant Ejects Customer Wearing Google Glass

    Quote Originally Posted by zgoldsmith23 View Post
    It's, essentially, like a smartphone that's hands-free. There's no reason to think he was filming, but utilizing its computer-esque abilities.
    The issue is that with cell phones, based on the way they're shaped and used, one can reasonably make an assumption when someone is taking a picture or recording you. While it can be done at semi-discreet angles, typically to take any kind of worth while image with a smart phone requires you to hold it up shoulder level or so and usually extended in front of you so you can actually see what it is the camera is capturing. These are all obvious and recognizable signs that people generally can see and know "they're using a camera"

    With google glass, there's few good ways to truly know when someone is simply looking your direction or actively filming/taking a picture your direction. There's no clear and obvious visual cue or notion that clearly resignates with people to let them know. Because of this it's understandable that the default assumption is that recording would be happening, becuase there's no way to know either way and so you assume the worst. Where as with a cell phone, if they haev it out and facing down as they tap on the screen then there's no reason or expectation that they're using the camera.

  6. #236
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,186

    Re: Seattle Restaurant Ejects Customer Wearing Google Glass

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Of course not, everyone hates cops.
    I don't hate cops and personally, I respect the difficult jobs they do on a daily basis. But that doesn't make me blind to the reality that some police are down right criminal in the way they treat the general public and suspects in particular. We recently had here, just north of Toronto, where a police officer was called to a mall to arrest a person accused of vandalism by mall security. The "suspect" was brutally assaulted by the officer and the officer charged the suspect with resisting arrest and assaulting a police officer. But for the fact the mall had security in the back areas where this occurred, this "suspect" might have been convicted on the word of the officer. However, because of the video, the "suspect" had all charges dropped and the officer has been convicted and is appealling but will soon be serving a lengthy prison sentence.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  7. #237
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,186

    Re: Seattle Restaurant Ejects Customer Wearing Google Glass

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    Would you say a theater owner can ban Google Glasses?
    Excellent point - there are so many problems that aren't readily apparent until you face them.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  8. #238
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Seattle Restaurant Ejects Customer Wearing Google Glass

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I don't hate cops and personally, I respect the difficult jobs they do on a daily basis. But that doesn't make me blind to the reality that some police are down right criminal in the way they treat the general public and suspects in particular. We recently had here, just north of Toronto, where a police officer was called to a mall to arrest a person accused of vandalism by mall security. The "suspect" was brutally assaulted by the officer and the officer charged the suspect with resisting arrest and assaulting a police officer. But for the fact the mall had security in the back areas where this occurred, this "suspect" might have been convicted on the word of the officer. However, because of the video, the "suspect" had all charges dropped and the officer has been convicted and is appealling but will soon be serving a lengthy prison sentence.
    This is why I have no problem with security cameras.

  9. #239
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,186

    Re: Seattle Restaurant Ejects Customer Wearing Google Glass

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    This is why I have no problem with security cameras.
    People have no problem with security cameras, in general, because we pretty much all agree with the purpose of the surveillance and we know the video is not being used or made accessible to millions of people over the internet. Nobody is going to be checking me out with Google Glasses, so I'm not personally all that concerned, but it seems pretty creepy to me that a person would want to watch, video and record strangers they see in a restaurant setting.

    Seems to me young people and tech savvy individuals have allowed themselves to be "captured" in many ways, from Facebook to now these glasses. Guess I'm on the other extreme - I refuse to use social media and I try to have as low a profile as possible on the internet. Those who promote new technology are waiting for the day when people like me die away and resistance ends.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  10. #240
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Seattle Restaurant Ejects Customer Wearing Google Glass

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    People have no problem with security cameras, in general, because we pretty much all agree with the purpose of the surveillance and we know the video is not being used or made accessible to millions of people over the internet. Nobody is going to be checking me out with Google Glasses, so I'm not personally all that concerned, but it seems pretty creepy to me that a person would want to watch, video and record strangers they see in a restaurant setting.

    Seems to me young people and tech savvy individuals have allowed themselves to be "captured" in many ways, from Facebook to now these glasses. Guess I'm on the other extreme - I refuse to use social media and I try to have as low a profile as possible on the internet. Those who promote new technology are waiting for the day when people like me die away and resistance ends.
    Resistance is futile.

Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •