Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 314

Thread: Seattle Restaurant Ejects Customer Wearing Google Glass

  1. #111
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Seattle Restaurant Ejects Customer Wearing Google Glass

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    No, I'm not. But the same law that protects one protects the other. People who operate a business like a restaurant or a store are offering a general invitation to the public to come in and do business. The operator cannot revoke that invitation without cause. Neither race nor wearing a pair of classes constitute that cause.
    I guess you might be right. If the "appliance" is not harmful to the food or the patrons, it might not be legal for the restaurant to have him leave over something like that. I'm not sure though.

  2. #112
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Seattle Restaurant Ejects Customer Wearing Google Glass

    Are businesses allowed to have dress codes? Some places don't allow saggy pants and get away with it, so I don't see why this would be any different.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #113
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Seattle Restaurant Ejects Customer Wearing Google Glass

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    What's the difference between this and a restaurant that doesn't allow you to be seated if you don't have a shirt or shoes or if you aren't wearing a suit and tie? So the restaurant decides they have rules for serving customers in their establishment, big deal. The sense of entitlement that young people have today is incredible.
    Speak for yourself, I'm young and I think the owner was well within his rights to ask the customer to remove the google glass.

    YouStar is right about one thing though, we're headed in that direction. Google Glass isn't just a trend, it's gonna get smaller, slicker, and everyone will have something like it.

    And in another decade or so, they'll make contact lenses that do the same thing. People won't even know you have them on.

  4. #114
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Seattle Restaurant Ejects Customer Wearing Google Glass

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I guess you might be right. If the "appliance" is not harmful to the food or the patrons, it might not be legal for the restaurant to have him leave over something like that. I'm not sure though.
    He is just making **** up. There is nothing in the laws that deals with these matters. Businesses can remove who they desire for any reason except those reasons otherwise mentioned in law. There is nothing in the law that bars kicking people out for Google glasses or for that matter cameras or phones. Just as there is no law against kicking people out for wearing saggy pants or having a gun on their person.

  5. #115
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Seattle Restaurant Ejects Customer Wearing Google Glass

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    He is just making **** up. There is nothing in the laws that deals with these matters. Businesses can remove who they desire for any reason except those reasons otherwise mentioned in law. There is nothing in the law that bars kicking people out for Google glasses or for that matter cameras or phones. Just as there is no law against kicking people out for wearing saggy pants or having a gun on their person.
    Hmmm. Who to believe . . . one of you is going to have to come up with something to support your claims. This could easily go to court and be found to be unconstitutional or something.

  6. #116
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Seattle Restaurant Ejects Customer Wearing Google Glass

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Are businesses allowed to have dress codes? Some places don't allow saggy pants and get away with it, so I don't see why this would be any different.
    I'm fairly certain that they ask you to leave, rather than throwing you out. But that's a good point, and I don't know the answer. Why don't you find out?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Hmmm. Who to believe . . . one of you is going to have to come up with something to support your claims. This could easily go to court and be found to be unconstitutional or something.
    I'm mainly illustrating portions of trespass law. That includes the rights of the owner of property to eject someone from that property. For some basics, look up the difference between an invitee and licensee with regard to trespass law, and then compare with an actual trespasser. Trespass, of course, includes when one gives someone the right to enter their land and then revokes it. The initial entrance onto the land need not be trespass. It can become trespass later if the invitation is revoked.

    When operating a business like a store or restaurant, one's customers are invitees. You can evict trespassers for whatever reason you want. You might even have to for injury liability coverage. But you cannot evict licencees and invitees without certain circumstances.

    I'm too drunk right now to spell all of this out any more clearly.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  7. #117
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Seattle Restaurant Ejects Customer Wearing Google Glass

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    I'm fairly certain that they ask you to leave, rather than throwing you out. But that's a good point, and I don't know the answer. Why don't you find out?



    I'm mainly illustrating portions of trespass law. That includes the rights of the owner of property to eject someone from that property. For some basics, look up the difference between an invitee and licensee with regard to trespass law, and then compare with an actual trespasser. Trespass, of course, includes when one gives someone the right to enter their land and then revokes it. The initial entrance onto the land need not be trespass. It can become trespass later if the invitation is revoked.

    When operating a business like a store or restaurant, one's customers are invitees. You can evict trespassers for whatever reason you want. You might even have to for injury liability coverage. But you cannot evict licencees and invitees without certain circumstances.

    I'm too drunk right now to spell all of this out any more clearly.
    Okay, I get it. Thanks!

  8. #118
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Over there
    Last Seen
    11-12-17 @ 06:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    573

    Re: Seattle Restaurant Ejects Customer Wearing Google Glass

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Speak for yourself, I'm young and I think the owner was well within his rights to ask the customer to remove the google glass.

    YouStar is right about one thing though, we're headed in that direction. Google Glass isn't just a trend, it's gonna get smaller, slicker, and everyone will have something like it.

    And in another decade or so, they'll make contact lenses that do the same thing. People won't even know you have them on.
    That's not a comfortable thought. Are we to have no privacy left at all?

  9. #119
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,868

    Re: Seattle Restaurant Ejects Customer Wearing Google Glass

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I guess you might be right. If the "appliance" is not harmful to the food or the patrons, it might not be legal for the restaurant to have him leave over something like that. I'm not sure though.
    As long as the reason is not against the law, such as discriminatory, in WA St a business owner can ask someone to leave their business for any (legal) reason.

    It's not breaking the law to enter with, say, no shoes or a gun or Google glasses, but to refuse to leave when asked is trespassing...which is a crime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #120
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,868

    Re: Seattle Restaurant Ejects Customer Wearing Google Glass

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    As long as the reason is not against the law, such as discriminatory, in WA St a business owner can ask someone to leave their business for any (legal) reason.

    It's not breaking the law to enter with, say, no shoes or a gun or Google glasses, but to refuse to leave when asked is trespassing...which is a crime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    He is just making **** up. There is nothing in the laws that deals with these matters. Businesses can remove who they desire for any reason except those reasons otherwise mentioned in law. There is nothing in the law that bars kicking people out for Google glasses or for that matter cameras or phones. Just as there is no law against kicking people out for wearing saggy pants or having a gun on their person.
    See? We are on the same page here.

    Altho there are trespass laws that can apply if a patron is asked to leave and does not.

    And that I was polite and constructive.
    Last edited by Lursa; 12-03-13 at 02:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •