Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 143

Thread: Two couples file federal suit to overturn Texas same-sex marriage ban [W:72]

  1. #31
    defected to kekistan
    beerftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    kekistan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    13,495

    Re: Two couples file federal suit to overturn Texas same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.) this does nothing to my world since i never claimed the constitution grants marriage rights, please try more failed strawmen though

    2.) this cant happen since this too would also infringe on rights, another failed strawman


    look at that, my world is still right side up please continue you rant though it was entertaining
    well lemme start,it wouldnt infringe on anyones rights since no where in the constitution is marriage granted as a right.so please explain how rights are infringed if they never were a right.,

    second states are bound by the 14th,meaning constitutionally they have to grant everyone marriage,or no one marriage.that doesnt mean marriage wont exist,but thaat the state wont recognize it.even further marriage is a religious construct not a state construct,so in real terms it would be the decision of any given religion,not the state,civil unions however are a state construct,void from religion,so forcing gay marriage violates the seperation of church and state,as does denying it.
    “[The metric system is the tool of the Devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it!” – Abe “Grampa” Simpson”

  2. #32
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    45,381

    Re: Two couples file federal suit to overturn Texas same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    1.) This is true....there is no 'right to marry.' However the federal govt chooses to confer benefits and privileges (and some penalties) on married couples, so it comes down to an issue of discrimination. And discrimination is covered in the Constitution.

    2.)The gray area is whether or not the federal govt will recognize, as some states have, sexual orientation as a protected class. (And the threat of this has likely driven many of the current states to examine whether or not to legalize SSM)
    1.) just for clarification marriage actually is a right has determined by SCOTUS 14 different times

    2.) this is coming, not sure when but it is coming
    Quote Originally Posted by RamFel View Post
    Genetically human & human being is exactly the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    homosexuality is objectively wrong, but because science tells me it is, not politics.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I'm not at risk for AIDS. Gays are.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajn678 View Post
    there is no such thing as an abortion on a dead fetus.

  3. #33
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,757

    Re: Two couples file federal suit to overturn Texas same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    Two things I know about Texas...steers, and queers! And you ain't got no
    horns, so that kinda narrows it down...
    Lol.....

    As a native and PROUD Texan, I can say our steer population has been overstated due to innacurate stereo-types.

    Gay marriage. I think, unfortunately that Texas may eventually give in to the fringe groups pushing for the right to marry the same sex.

  4. #34
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,127
    Blog Entries
    27

    Re: Two couples file federal suit to overturn Texas same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    Well thats close, what i really mean is is if Texas SSC decides to side step the issue and not take it head on they will simply not mention equal rights and reference the US constitution because i think its impossible to do so and deny equal rights for gays.

    I think they will reference something else and stick to that.

    But yes like you said if they talk about equality they will adress it directly, at least this is what the other SSCs ruling did
    Got you and thanks. When it comes to legalese they might as well be speaking Martian. Just keep your fingers crossed. A few months ago I was of the opinion that the states had the right to decide whether or not to recognize gay marriages although I never had a problem with it personally. But I also know it does no harm regardless if it is an equal rights issue or not. I also think government should be in the business of saying who can and who can't be married. So I am against all these bans. Final conclusion, if two people loves each other, they should be able to live out their lives in bliss regardless of what sex, race, creed, religion etc. Then too, it gives gay married couples a chance to see how divorce is, another benefit of equal opportunity.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  5. #35
    defected to kekistan
    beerftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    kekistan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    13,495

    Re: Two couples file federal suit to overturn Texas same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    This is true....there is no 'right to marry.' However the federal govt chooses to confer benefits and privileges (and some penalties) on married couples, so it comes down to an issue of discrimination. And discrimination is covered in the Constitution.

    The gray area is whether or not the federal govt will recognize, as some states have, sexual orientation as a protected class. (And the threat of this has likely driven many of the current states to examine whether or not to legalize SSM)
    to an extent it doesnt grant the federal govt any power,as no power was granted in the first place to differentiate married from other,nor was any power granted to recognize marriage at all.this again would grant all power to the states,and due the the 14th legaly would require granting priviledge to everyone,or noone,forcing marriage to be what it was over a century ago,simply a religious ceremony,with no state involvement.
    “[The metric system is the tool of the Devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it!” – Abe “Grampa” Simpson”

  6. #36
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    45,381

    Re: Two couples file federal suit to overturn Texas same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by beerftw View Post
    1.)well lemme start,it wouldnt infringe on anyones rights since no where in the constitution is marriage granted as a right.so please explain how rights are infringed if they never were a right.,

    2.) second states are bound by the 14th,meaning constitutionally they have to grant everyone marriage,or no one marriage.that doesnt mean marriage wont exist,but thaat the state wont recognize it.

    3.)even further marriage is a religious construct not a state construct,so in real terms it would be the decision of any given religion,not the state,civil unions however are a state construct,void from religion,

    4.)so forcing gay marriage violates the seperation of church and state,as does denying it.
    1.) 100% false and facts, laws, and many court cases and court precedence disagree with you. 14 SCOTUS has declared marriage to be a right and more importantly its the discrimination and denying of equal rights that has been discussed in court.

    2.) again this would violate individual rights has again some court precedence and cases have already determined and many more are in the works.

    3.) sorry religion is 100% meaningless to the topic of legal marriage, is a complete non factor so this fallacy complete fails

    4.)sorry see 3 religion has nothing to do with legal marriage and protecting equal rights has zero impact on the separation of church and state
    Quote Originally Posted by RamFel View Post
    Genetically human & human being is exactly the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    homosexuality is objectively wrong, but because science tells me it is, not politics.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I'm not at risk for AIDS. Gays are.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajn678 View Post
    there is no such thing as an abortion on a dead fetus.

  7. #37
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,853

    Re: Two couples file federal suit to overturn Texas same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by beerftw View Post
    to an extent it doesnt grant the federal govt any power,as no power was granted in the first place to differentiate married from other,nor was any power granted to recognize marriage at all.this again would grant all power to the states,and due the the 14th legaly would require granting priviledge to everyone,or noone,forcing marriage to be what it was over a century ago,simply a religious ceremony,with no state involvement.
    I'm all for the state & feds getting 'out of' marriage but I dont think that's likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #38
    defected to kekistan
    beerftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    kekistan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    13,495

    Re: Two couples file federal suit to overturn Texas same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.) 100% false and facts, laws, and many court cases and court precedence disagree with you. 14 SCOTUS has declared marriage to be a right and more importantly its the discrimination and denying of equal rights that has been discussed in court.

    2.) again this would violate individual rights has again some court precedence and cases have already determined and many more are in the works.

    3.) sorry religion is 100% meaningless to the topic of legal marriage, is a complete non factor so this fallacy complete fails

    4.)sorry see 3 religion has nothing to do with legal marriage and protecting equal rights has zero impact on the separation of church and state
    number 1 is your largest fail,the courts were never declared the power to declare rights,and were never granted the power to declare constitutionality.


    so its people like you who ignore blatant abuses of power and accept the court granted itself the power to interperate the constitution and to add rights never defined.


    as for number 3,marriage is a religious construct,civil unions are a state construct.therefore arguing religion has nothing to do with it thereby you admit you blatantly wish to ignore the seperation of church and state and wish the state to mandate religion,as being a religious construct,each religion would be placed to make the decision,not the state.
    “[The metric system is the tool of the Devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it!” – Abe “Grampa” Simpson”

  9. #39
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,127
    Blog Entries
    27

    Re: Two couples file federal suit to overturn Texas same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    it can be but you have to be much more specific.

    what i mean is that theres not one person you can name that isnt protected by discriminaiton laws because we all are but there are discriminations out there that are totally legal.
    That is a good thing. If I own a fancy restaurant and I want to deny service to those who do not wear shoes or shirts, I should be able to do that. I would be discriminating against shoeless and shirtless folks, but that should remain my business and right to do so. Now to discriminate on the base of race is something entirely different.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  10. #40
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    45,381

    Re: Two couples file federal suit to overturn Texas same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    1.)Got you and thanks. When it comes to legalese they might as well be speaking Martian.
    2.) Just keep your fingers crossed.
    3.) A few months ago I was of the opinion that the states had the right to decide whether or not to recognize gay marriages although I never had a problem with it personally. But I also know it does no harm regardless if it is an equal rights issue or not.
    4.) I also think government should be in the business of saying who can and who can't be married.
    5.) So I am against all these bans.
    6.) Final conclusion, if two people loves each other, they should be able to live out their lives in bliss regardless of what sex, race, creed, religion etc. Then too, it gives gay married couples a chance to see how divorce is, another benefit of equal opportunity.
    1.) you're welcome
    2.) well i am hopeful but if this one case ends up a loss im not discouraged in the lease. Discrimination and bigotry is losing and equality is winning. The writing is on the wall, there was a time where i never thought id see equal rights for gays in my life time, i thought my daughter would get a chance to see it but not me. That has dramatically changed. Heck just a year ago like the article says only 6 states had equal rights now 16 do with possibly 5 more in the next 6 months.

    Id say 5 years max before wach stat changes on its own of SCOTUS changes it for everybody.

    3.) im not sure what you are saying here, i understand the first part but you lost me on the second. What does no harm? allowing gay marriage?

    4.) i think they should also but only to a certain degree and as long as it doesnt infringe rights

    5.) im also against the bans but whats awesome about them is in the end they are actually going to help establish gay marriage and thats poetic justice.

    6.) lol so true and some of them are already divorced from states that had it years and years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by RamFel View Post
    Genetically human & human being is exactly the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    homosexuality is objectively wrong, but because science tells me it is, not politics.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I'm not at risk for AIDS. Gays are.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajn678 View Post
    there is no such thing as an abortion on a dead fetus.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •