Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 143

Thread: Two couples file federal suit to overturn Texas same-sex marriage ban [W:72]

  1. #91
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Two couples file federal suit to overturn Texas same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    The same basis as that for title 9 in college sports, gender "equality". For every male athlete (scolarship or not) there must be a female athlete. It seems odd that those pushing for gender quotas, to acheive gender "equlity" would now seek to say that they are unconstituional. Should we now seek to have an equal number of homosexual participants in college sports?
    Homosexuality is sexual orientation, not gender, and marriage is not college football. No reason to discuss that derail.

    Provide the state interest in preventing two men from entering the legal contract of marriage. You can't give one, can you?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #92
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Two couples file federal suit to overturn Texas same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by EdwinWillers View Post
    I think in part you have the answer. Sadly, people are using non-issues like "homosexual rights" to devalue the very document that ensures their, and everyone else's rights.
    Let me get this straight: you think granting equal rights to more people somehow devalues the protection of rights that the constitution provides?

    Can you provide any quantifiable harm caused to you or anyone else if two dude get married? If not, why do you think same-sex marriage devalues anything?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #93
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Two couples file federal suit to overturn Texas same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Ah, perhaps I understand and perhaps not. Sort of like the contraception issue with obamacare. If contraception is against ones religion it doesn't have to be offered in a healthcare plan unless the government can show justification for it. In other words, you're saying a government can discriminate against ones religion if it wants to, but not other people.
    No, that's not how it works. Being religious is not blanket authorization to ignore any law you want. The first amendment doesn't mean every religion gets to do everything its book might say. There are people who think illness is God's will. Can their restaurant be exempt from health codes? Is that a violation of their rights? Old Testament has some pretty wacky stuff in it, are the rights of Jews being violated when they're not allowed to follow all of it?

    And by the way, religious organizations are exempt from the contraception regulation. But if you're a book store that happens to have a religious CEO, that doesn't mean you get an out. I can provide a state interest in expanding contraceptive coverage. Can you provide a state interest in preventing two men from entering the legal contract of marriage with each other?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #94
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,677

    Re: Two couples file federal suit to overturn Texas same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Homosexuality is sexual orientation, not gender, and marriage is not college football. No reason to discuss that derail.

    Provide the state interest in preventing two men from entering the legal contract of marriage. You can't give one, can you?
    That is an argument to get rid of marriage not to expand it to include SSM. What do you see as the compelling state interest in having SSM?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  5. #95
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Two couples file federal suit to overturn Texas same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    That is an argument to get rid of marriage not to expand it to include SSM. What do you see as the compelling state interest in having SSM?
    That's not how equal protection challenges work. Marriage exists and has a gender bias. Therefore the government has to prove why the gender-based classifications should exist, I don't need to prove why they shouldn't. I don't need to show the interest in having SSM, you need to show the interest in not having it. Don't you agree that Big Government should have to pass that hurdle and not me?
    Last edited by Deuce; 12-01-13 at 01:17 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #96
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Two couples file federal suit to overturn Texas same-sex marriage ban

    If we could just get Libbos to stand up against big government intrusion in everyting else, this country would be in damn good shape.

  7. #97
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,677

    Re: Two couples file federal suit to overturn Texas same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    That's not how equal protection challenges work. Marriage exists and has a gender bias. Therefore the government has to prove why the gender-based classifications should exist, I don't need to prove why they shouldn't. I don't need to show the interest in having SSM, you need to show the interest in not having it. Don't you agree that Big Government should have to pass that hurdle and not me?
    Perhaps. The thing is, that would seem to then allow any "strong personal desire", including the wish to drink alcohol, to have "standing". May I then sue to get a judge to force the state to prove a compelling state interest in not selling beer on Sunday, closing bars at midnight or any other "reasonable restriction" on my complete freedom of choice. Not to say that is bad at all, but the list of "strong personal desires" is nearly endless, as are "reasonable restrictions" on our freedom in our various laws.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #98
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Two couples file federal suit to overturn Texas same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Perhaps. The thing is, that would seem to then allow any "strong personal desire", including the wish to drink alcohol, to have "standing".

    No it wouldn't. Beer preference is not a protected classification. Gender is.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #99
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,677

    Re: Two couples file federal suit to overturn Texas same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    No it wouldn't. Beer preference is not a protected classification. Gender is.
    Gender preference is not.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  10. #100
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,975

    Re: Two couples file federal suit to overturn Texas same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.) yes and failed insults about me
    2.) i dont claim that 14 times SCOTUS said its a right this is a fact, you can disagree with them but that is a fact they did that. You went off on some rant trying ot turn that into something i never said
    3.) which are meaningless to anything i actually said, post 30 more links they dont matter because they dont impact anything i actually posted. DO you have those quotes yet?
    4.) lol more incivility and failed insults because you got caught positng lies and making stuff up, thats not my fault
    5.) ???? what? lol that was only you not me

    Like i said when you are ready to STAY ON TOPIC and can qoute me and back up the lies you posted youll have somethign, until then NOTHING has changed, you just keep reposting your failed strawmen

    facts defeat your post again

    the fact remains again, this is an equal, civil and human rights issues and nothing chances that, just like it was when it was about womans, minorities and interracial marriage.

    that is the topic
    Beer has provided links to the Const. to back up his position....according to his interpretation. I would like to see the same for your position as he requested. It sounded like you were making a claim to me as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •