Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 115

Thread: Pope issues mission statement for papacy

  1. #51
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: Pope issues mission statement for papacy

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I like how Libbos denounce Christianity as racist and evil, until the Pope makes a statement that can be vaguely interpreted supporting socialism.
    You're trying too hard to make up for the times I've caught you lying in the last few weeks apdst.

    What idiot taught you that?...lol!

    God says earn your living by the sweat of your brow, too; guess that leaves out the welfare class.
    "God" doesn't say anything because "God" doesn't exist.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Pope issues mission statement for papacy

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    please share with us how that is accomplished when there are more workers than jobs
    Ever wonder why that is?
    much racism is conducted in the guise of Christianity ... notice what symbol those burning members form at a KKK rally
    a lot of evil results while cloaked in the robes of Christianity
    amazes me that you were not well acquainted with that reality
    Your reality is that the burning cross of the KKK is the symbol of Christianity? That must mean that the burning of the American flag is a sign that these people love America.

    and the way Pope Francis is turning the direction of the catholic church around deserves praise from all quarters. that he embraces Jesus' admonition to help the least among us seems to aggravate you. why do so many self purported Christians act in ways opposing Jesus' teachings and instead pursue a life dedicated to self interest?
    Christians have always been taught to help the least among us. Nothing new here.

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Pope issues mission statement for papacy

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    "God" doesn't say anything because "God" doesn't exist.
    God may not exist for you, yet. He certainly exists for others though.

  4. #54
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Pope issues mission statement for papacy

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    God may not exist for you, yet. He certainly exists for others though.
    If god doesn't exist for everyone, he's not omnipotent.


    Or are you playing fast and loose with the definition of "god" or "exist"? Or both?
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  5. #55
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Pope issues mission statement for papacy

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Just keep flapping your gums, clownboy. The Catholic Church does more charity work and gives more of its wealth to the poor than any other institution on earth. It always has. Fact.

    So you fail on many levels.
    Utter bull**** and why St Francis of Assisi never made Pope. They preserve their own wealth and pass around the wealth of their followers. They spend other people's money and take the credit upon themselves. Not a fact at all if you consider how little of what they have do they spend on their charitable efforts. Bill and Melinda Gates give more than the church does relatively speaking.

  6. #56
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,173

    Re: Pope issues mission statement for papacy

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Good grief. He trying to put butts back in the pews and stop the bleeding. The more butts in pews, they more folks who give to the church, the more powerful the church is. It's not about the poor or downtrodden. It's about the church maintaining it's wealth and power. So transparent it's a wonder how folks can buy this nonsense.

    If he were at all serious about what he's saying he could lead by example from day one. But that's just not going to happen. The Vatican will retain it's existing wealth and gain more. They won't open their archives, they won't open their books, they won't sacrifice one iota of their wealth to help the poor. But hey, they want you to.

    Sucker born every minute.
    from what limited reading i have done, Pope Francis appears to live as he teaches ... certainly predating his papacy

    wonder who will be attracted to the church, filling those pews, rich folks or poor people. i am guessing the latter disproportionately. but what he can accomplish, and i would bet it is not lost on him, is a political movement to mimic his new and improved direction of the church. those poor parishioners still have the right to vote (in most countries having sizable catholic populations). his words can move their votes in large blocks
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Pope issues mission statement for papacy

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    so, you have no facts to support your position. that is what i must assume because all you have offered in reply is an array of very weak anectdotes
    Yeah, just very weak anecdotes. You're probably right about the international influence of Sally Ann, a great organization.

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Pope issues mission statement for papacy

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    from what limited reading i have done, Pope Francis appears to live as he teaches ... certainly predating his papacy

    wonder who will be attracted to the church, filling those pews, rich folks or poor people. i am guessing the latter disproportionately. but what he can accomplish, and i would bet it is not lost on him, is a political movement to mimic his new and improved direction of the church. those poor parishioners still have the right to vote (in most countries having sizable catholic populations). his words can move their votes in large blocks
    What specifically is his "new and improved direction of the church"?

  9. #59
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Pope issues mission statement for papacy

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    So they've stopped teaching history in Oregon.
    Well, since I wasn't educated here can't tell you. My daughter and my grandchildren are though and I can tell you history is still taught in private schools. Though NONE of the states included the history of the Roman Catholic Church in their history modules, so that little comment is a massive fail. Inform us then, why did Peter start the church? And where biblically are any of those principles established in the church. Show your stuff. You claim superior knowledge, let's see it.
    Last edited by clownboy; 11-27-13 at 07:42 PM.

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Pope issues mission statement for papacy

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Utter bull**** and why St Francis of Assisi never made Pope. They preserve their own wealth and pass around the wealth of their followers. They spend other people's money and take the credit upon themselves. Not a fact at all if you consider how little of what they have do they spend on their charitable efforts. Bill and Melinda Gates give more than the church does relatively speaking.
    You seem very familiar with Papal history. Where did you study?

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •